"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'd like to weigh in here

I see religion mentioned a LOT in posts. I'm not a particularly relgious person, but it doesn't bother me when people are sending their prayers for this reason or that reason. I try to say my "thoughts" are with you so as not to step on any toes. And I do believe the g word is acceptable as long as it's not capitalized, isn't it?

I thought it was a cute little story... or tale. There are a lot of poems/stories that reference "the man" and animals that are pretty cool and almost fable like. If the G had been changed to a g, that would have been fine with me. Just so some of us aren't seeing the G word when we click on New Posts, as that kind of does add a religious overcast to the forum, but does this mean no one is allowed to send "their prayers" anymore? How about "It's December 25, what's everybody fixin' for Christmas dinner?"? Is that still allowed?

Sometimes censorship brings more attention to what you are trying to sidestep.

Just my .... about $15 worth
It has nothing to do with G vs g. It has to do with discussing religion. It does not matter how you spell it.

We made a decision when we created the "no religious discussion" rule that people asking for prayers are not considered religious discussion. One could argue that prayer does not have to be religious in context. You can pray to yourself if you want. You are not necessarily praying to a higher figure or religious entity. I know that is a pretty weak argument though and actually the real main reason is a lot more simple. If someone is asking for prayers then chances are they are hurting in some way shape or form. They are looking for support from friends in a time of need. We decided that we could not and would not turn our backs on that. No one in their right mind would discipline someone who is asking for prayers because their daughter just got into a serious car accident and may not make it though the night. The asking for prayers in these cases are not discussing religion. They are asking for support in whatever form you want to give it.

The no religion rule is in place for a very simple reason. Religion is one of those things that will always cause bad feelings and arguments as we have a large diverse group of people who come from a wide range of backgrounds. If someone starts talking about G-d and how wonderful he is then someone that does not believe in G-d could feel upset at the content. We do not all feel the same about G-d or religion and since this is primarily a food site we felt that religion could be left at the door when you come in.

I hope that helps clear it up a little.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
It got removed? Egads. Now I'm scared again.
Sure would be nice if the offensive material was removed,
and an explanation of WHY
I did recieve a PM from a site administrator about my thread and was given an explanation as to why it was removed. I understand and completely agree.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It has nothing to do with G vs g. It has to do with discussing religion. It does not matter how you spell it.

We made a decision when we created the "no religious discussion" rule that people asking for prayers are not considered religious discussion. One could argue that prayer does not have to be religious in context. You can pray to yourself if you want. You are not necessarily praying to a higher figure or religious entity. I know that is a pretty weak argument though and actually the real main reason is a lot more simple. If someone is asking for prayers then chances are they are hurting in some way shape or form. They are looking for support from friends in a time of need. We decided that we could not and would not turn our backs on that. No one in their right mind would discipline someone who is asking for prayers because their daughter just got into a serious car accident and may not make it though the night. The asking for prayers in these cases are not discussing religion. They are asking for support in whatever form you want to give it.

The no religion rule is in place for a very simple reason. Religion is one of those things that will always cause bad feelings and arguments as we have a large diverse group of people who come from a wide range of backgrounds. If someone starts talking about G-d and how wonderful he is then someone that does not believe in G-d could feel upset at the content. We do not all feel the same about G-d or religion and since this is primarily a food site we felt that religion could be left at the door when you come in.

I hope that helps clear it up a little.
Uhh, sorry, no. That does not clear it up at all.

First off I would like to say that your car accident reference was a little bit over the top. Maybe somebody just experienced that, I don't know, I was merely saying that prayers get offered up a lot. And I think we all know what the word prayer references. I in no way wanted anybody to turn their back on someone else asking for prayers. I think you admitted DC pretty much looks the other way in this case.

The G vs g was because that's what I was taught. I'm 48, attended public schools, was raised catholic and was taught that it was OK to reference a higher being using the small g because that did not denote the Christian.... version. Maybe it was early attempts at being politically correct qand maybe things have since changed. I am of the belief it was OK to reference a higher being using the small g. As in, Zues was a Greek god.

Lastly, I would like to say that I did not read all the responses in the original post. I read the post and a few replies. I did not know it had turned into a religious "discussion". Perhaps the posts discussing religion should have been removed rather than the original post, which merely mentioned a word we all here all the time. If indeed a discussion was taking place.

I'm as objective as they come when it concerns religion. As I said, I see religious references here all the time, someone sends prayers, someone wants a traditional Break Fast dinner (or whatever that thread was about). Heck, inverting the word dog isn't even a story in the bible (not that I was taught), it's just a cute little story. That's all I was saying.
Heaven forbid (I can say heaven can't I ) that someone tell the St Peter at the gates story about the man and his dog and needing water......

Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
First off I would like to say that your car accident reference was a little bit over the top. Maybe somebody just experienced that, I don't know, I was merely saying that prayers get offered up a lot.
It actually was not at all over the top. We have had situations like this and worse come up.
Quote:
And I think we all know what the word prayer references.
This is where the problem of discussing religion comes in. You can not say that we all know what the word prayer references. You know what it means to you. You do not know what it means to me or to anyone else. You assumptions that "we all know what it means" can be extremely insulting to people who do not believe what you believe.

Quote:
The G vs g was because that's what I was taught. I'm 48, attended public schools, was raised catholic and was taught that it was OK to reference a higher being using the small g because that did not denote the Christian.... version. Maybe it was early attempts at being politically correct qand maybe things have since changed. I am of the belief it was OK to reference a higher being using the small g. As in, Zues was a Greek god.
Again, this is what you were taught and what you believe. Just because you feel this way does not mean everyone does. You are basing your statements on a Christian upbringing. Not everyone here is Christian so not everyone will agree with what you are saying. For instance, I was brought up that it is extremely wrong to write out G-d (stick the "o" in there), yet you have no issue doing it. It could be seen as disrespectful and horrible to do so. Now don't read this the wrong way. I do not care if you do that or not, I only care what I do, but my point is to illustrate that we all think about these things differently and just because you were raised one way does not mean that is the only way and something that you think of as completely benign may not be so to others. This is the danger when you get into dicussing religion.

Quote:
Lastly, I would like to say that I did not read all the responses in the original post. I read the post and a few replies. I did not know it had turned into a religious "discussion". Perhaps the posts discussing religion should have been removed rather than the original post, which merely mentioned a word we all here all the time. If indeed a discussion was taking place.
The original post itself was the religious discussion. It talked about what G-d created. Not everyone believes that G-d created anything at all or even exists. There could be people who are offended at the very mention that G-d created something that they think was created a different way (as an example).

Quote:
I'm as objective as they come when it concerns religion.
This has nothing to do with being objective. It has everything to do with not discussing religion at DC at all.
Quote:
As I said, I see religious references here all the time, someone wants a traditional Break Fast dinner (or whatever that thread was about).
That is not religious discussion. That is discussing a dinner. It was not a discussion about the holiday or what it means or anything like that. It was a discussion about food.

People get very upset when it comes to religion. Our rule is aimed to keep that from happening. We do the best we can with an extremely difficult and touchy subject.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If I remember correctly, it was decided that even though religion cannot be discussed we would allow prayer request threads for this reason--Not everyone prays the same, so it isn't necessarily religious, and that we would all be free to read the thread or ignore it. So far it seems to work out that way.

Barbara
Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
Everymom

I think I would just like to say to anyone who feels that religious discussion is OK here that this thread serves to illustrate the point that religion is just sticky no matter how you slice it. Even attempting to explain it has caused what a friend of mine likes to call a "stooshie". An extremely well mannered one, but nonetheless a disagreement.
The prayer thing is tolerated for the reason Barbara specified. Every religion that recognizes a deity has some form of prayer. It doesn't matter what the name of the deity is. Also, when one is in pain and asks for prayer/support we all acknowledge that in whatever way we can without proselytizing.

I'm going to lock the thread here so we don't go into further detail. Here is the link to the poem which I posted on a site that DOES allow religious and political discussion.

Closed Thread