Dog Lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
did anyone just see Ellen on Yahoo today? Evidently they have tape of her crying about the dog she got from rescue group and she couldn't keep it so gave it to a family. The rescue group came and took the dog from the family because Ellen signed a paper that said if she couldn't keep it to return it to them. She is so emotional. I am sitting here crying because she is all broken up. The way dogs can affect you. Your position doesn't matter the love they give is so powerful. Anyone see her show today? Wow.
I did and it was very moving to hear a nd see the effect this had on her. I really hope the rescue group rethinks their action in this particular case and return the dog to the girls.

Saw Ellen, hopefully the family will get the dog back. I assume she has some influence. I volunteer at the shelter here sometimes and it is so sad, but also so great when one of them gets a home. I have zillions of pets as I've mentioned before, but I would give them all a home if I could. I get my pets spayed/neutered because I can't stand to think about that film you watched. There are alot of older dogs that need a good home and would probabally cheer up your doggie and you too, and it would be a huge service to the homeless dog. Good Luck

Point?

what is the point that the rescue group wants the dog back? If someone finds a good home for the dog, why should the rescue group want it? This makes no sense to me other than they may fear the dog will get abused or something. I know there is some kind of application you have to complete and I am sure they interview you to see whether you are capable of being responsibile owner. Of this I am thankful. But wouldn't the group trust this individual to provide for the dog as well as the owner themselves would? To have her break down on her show like that, she couldn't really keep her feelings regarding this trouble she caused. Imagine how the dog must feel? That is what I always wonder. What would he say if he could talk? Always thinking someone will be there forever! Cruel.

Well, technically, the shelters have a legal contract that you sign when you are interviewed and approved for the “adoption”. Further, the shelter has a responsibility to any and all charter and support members to uphold their set and written policies.

Our shelter here was incorporated in 1969, has a no kill policy, is non-profit, and funded strictly by donations. They have a very involved interview program, and make absolutely sure the animal goes to a good home. They conduct home visits, environment analysis, and follow-up visits and calls for 3 months or more. They are very thorough and sincere about find a GODD home for the animals they are in charge of. If the family concerned with Ellen’s dog wants the dog back, all they need do is apply and get approved for adoption.

I’ve been through the adoption process before, and I can assure you, Ellen was not surprised by this. These shelters have very clear rules and language stating that, if you can not properly care for the animal as you have agreed, then you are to return it to the animal shelter.

The shelter screened Ellen and found here worthy of the adoption process. If that family wants to be considered they need only apply. Ellen has no right to be choked up about this. She should have been more responsible with her decision to just pluck a life from the shelter when someone more qualified and ready to spend time with the dog could have come along and applied. This isn’t the pound we’re talking about, but is a private non-profit organization.

Let’s be honest, Ellen gave the dog to her hairdresser. For all we know, they are only causal acquaintances that Ellen knows nothing about personally. Ellen has already admitted she didn’t read all of the paperwork for the adoption process, and if she knows so little about the contracts she signs, how much can you expect her to know about her hairdresser? If that family is fit for adoption, they should just apply and get approved.

What’s even worse is the reason Ellen did gave the dog away. She said she got rid of the dog because it had too much energy and was too rambunctious to be around here cats. Please! What did she expect from a dog.....they aren’t goldfish after all! This all stinks of a publicity stunt if you ask me. With her sagging career and recent efforts to get back in the lime-light, this may be just what she needs (and possibly even planned).

keltin, I didn't know all the details you spoke about. Sagging career, having too much energy, etc. It does sound from the way you express that it is some kind of publicity ploy. I am not familiar with the rescue groups but am truly grateful they are there. As you said, the hairdresser and her family could go apply if they really wanted the dog. You just wonder why they didn't do it right away?

As always things get a bit overdone. i love animals, don't get me wrong, but we are not talking about adoption af a child here, and that is what it almost sounds like.

I can see it from both sides.

First off, the dog was obviously re-placed in a decent home, which should be the firstmost/foremost thing here.

BUT - the fact remains that dear "Ellen" didn't adhere to the rules of the adoption, which were clearly spelled out to her at the time, but which she chose to ignore. And then when she was called on it, all her bringing in the media & sobbing uncontrollably on camera about the situation was rather stomach-turning, & wouldn't have meant squat to anyone if she hadn't been a celebrity.

If she had half a brain in her little celebrity head, she could have called the adoption folks ahead of time, explained the situation, have them check out the new people/home ahead of time, & avoid all this hoopla. Instead she figured she was above the rules.

Don't get me wrong - I think the adoption folks didn't exactly handle this well either, but they also probably did not want it to look like they'll just bend the rules for anyone, & I don't blame them.

In the Kitchen, there was a piece on the Today Show today about a site called Dogs In Danger, that works with "kill" shelters to adopt out the dogs that are on the euthanize list at the shelters.

I don't know where you live, but at the site, you can plug in your zip code, type of dog you are looking for and a radius you'd be willing to travel to get the dog. You might find a doggie this way.

ITK, here is a link with some of Ellen’s comments on the matter, and they're less than flattering. She admits to not reading the paperwork and gives a reason for giving up the dog as it had too much energy and was too rambunctious. :ohmy::huh:

I hate that the dog is going through this, but this is typical…….innocent animals suffer because of human stupidity. As Breezy said, Ellen should have contacted the shelter and made arrangements to transfer the adoption. You can do that. But for some reason Ellen thought she was above the law. I’ve no love for that flippant devil-may-care attitude, but I do regret the dog has to suffer because of it. Still, you can rest assured the dog will be well taken care of and will eventually be adopted by a good and deserving family!

Here’s a short article on Ellen's sagging career and her efforts to get back in the lime-light. Reading that sure does make this sound like a publicity ploy….at the expense of the innocent dog.

:)Which goes right back to the issue of spaying and neutering too many cats and dogs and not enough people to adopt and take good care of them.I think the point of the documentary is to get thru to the idiots that just dont get it.Most everyone on DC gets it without the horrible details we already know how important it is to spay and neuter.Still there are alot of people to cheap(its not that expensive)or lazy or just dont give a c**p to spay or neuter.Or just plain ignorant.That is what this movie is about is to educate the ignorant ones.These are the same people that just dont value the life of an animal.I think it has to start with young children they need to be taught to respect all life and and that you need to care about all living things.
What I really hate is when I come across a situation where an animal is suffering and Im crying and the person next to me says why are you upset its JUST a dog or cat.Right then and there I know where their heart is and its not good after that I lose any respect I had for that person in the first place these are the same people that dont take great care of their so called pets either.Im not sure you can change these people even if they actually saw the documentary.Its hard to change a stone cold black heart.

:)Not to get off subject.If you watch Ellen I think what really upset her is that the 2 kids where already so attached to the dog and she was just feeling what they were feeling.I dont believe it was a stunt in any way she was just very upset over the whole thing.You just cant fake that.

This is a subject that has torn me for years. I’m still not resolved on the matter.

Face it, we’re hypocrites. A cat or dog that we have in our house? Oh NO, don’t be cruel.

A chicken, cow, or lamb for our veal….who cares, let’s grill it. What makes one animal better than the other….is it proximity?

It’s hypocrisy.

And I’m guilty.

And I don’t have any answers. :(:wacko:

This is a subject that has torn me for years. I’m still not resolved on the matter.

Face it, we’re hypocrites. A cat or dog that we have in our house? Oh NO, don’t be cruel.

A chicken, cow, or lamb for our veal….who cares, let’s grill it. What makes one animal better than the other….is it proximity?

It’s hypocrisy.

And I’m guilty.

And I don’t have any answers. :(:wacko:
I also dont have any answers.All I can hope for is that the animal is slaughtered in a humane way.Its a tough one as still I really like to eat meat and yet I dont want to think how it got to my plate.HB is a hunter but a hunter with ethics he does his very best to not make the animal suffer which sadly alot of other hunters dont.He hates guiding bow hunters that is when alot of wounding happens and not taking the animal down in an instant.Plus there are quite a few so called bow hunters that just plain suck at the so called sport.He calls them stick throwers because some of them never can just get a good clean shot.This also applies to people that use guns to hunt .
HB says women are the best hunters as they dont lose their minds and get so excited they just shoot Im not saying all men do this but women for the most part want what is called a clean kill where the animal dies in an instant if they cant get that clean shot they wont do it.As for me I will not hunt I just cant do it as Im guilty of anthropomorphism which means I give non human animals human thoughts and feelings so I just cant do it.Not to say I wont squash a black widow or snap the rats that are destroying my green house tomatoes.I do draw the line with insects that are causing havoc with me or my pets life.I also would not hesitate to blast a bear getting in the house that wont leave or if it has one of my dogs in its mouth.But to me thats just survival.

I also dont have any answers.All I can hope for is that the animal is slaughtered in a humane way.Its a tough one as still I really like to eat meat and yet I dont want to think how it got to my plate.HB is a hunter but a hunter with ethics he does his very best to not make the animal suffer which sadly alot of other hunters dont.He hates guiding bow hunters that is when alot of wounding happens and not taking the animal down in an instant.Plus there are quite a few so called bow hunters that just plain suck at the so called sport.He calls them stick throwers because some of them never can just get a good clean shot.This also applies to people that use guns to hunt .
HB says women are the best hunters as they dont lose their minds and get so excited they just shoot Im not saying all men do this but women for the most part want what is called a clean kill where the animal dies in an instant if they cant get that clean shot they wont do it.As for me I will not hunt I just cant do it as Im guilty of anthropomorphism which means I give non human animals human thoughts and feelings so I just cant do it.Not to say I wont squash a black widow or snap the rats that are destroying my green house tomatoes.I do draw the line with insects that are causing havoc with me or my pets life.I also would not hesitate to blast a bear getting in the house that wont leave or if it has one of my dogs in its mouth.But to me thats just survival.

Awesome! I've got nothing to add other than your hubby sounds like one h3ll of a man and a true hunter. Hunting isn't my thing....can't do it......but I love your DH's attitude about it. He'a a true man of the hunt! Give him my kudos please, he deserves them!

:)Yep DH is great he says look at the animal world its the females that make the decisions and you should just let the human women make them as well but the funny thing is he doesn't do anything I tell him.:LOL::LOL:
Anyway we need to get back to the subject at hand

"Fink said Moms and Mutts has a rule that families with children under 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs."

Drama continues.

With rules like that most of the people in the world would have never had a dog. Now I for sure think it is stupid. i do not care what kind of agreement was signed there. The shelter place is wron, wrong, wrong, and it makes me really angry.

"Fink said Moms and Mutts has a rule that families with children under 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs."

Drama continues.

With rules like that most of the people in the world would have never had a dog. Now I for sure think it is stupid. i do not care what kind of agreement was signed there. The shelter place is wron, wrong, wrong, and it makes me really angry.
Right alot of people have small dogs and small children.its a great way to teach kids about being gentle and loving to animals.Does that mean if you have little kids you cant adopt a cat either?What about Gerbils,birds,fish etc.

She [the owner of Moms and Mutts] is adamant that she is not going to be bullied around by the Ellen DeGenereses of the world ... They are using their power, position and wealth to try to get what it is they want."

Full story.

Well, if Moms and Mutts has that policy about children under 14, then that’s how they run their business. Some restaurants require a Suit and Tie to be allowed in......it’s your choice to patronize them or walk away.

There are many, many more places to get a pet. Go to the pound and you can get whatever you want and do with it how you please with no one looking over your shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom