"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Dog Lovers

AS you may know I love animals. Have been looking for the right companion for my 12 year old dog. He has many problems and recently lost two of his friends to diabetes. Real heartache. I have been looking on different sites, trying to avoid going to shelters as I am weakling that cannot choose one over all. I looked on craigslist today and saw a film dedicated to people spaying their animals. I am not going to post the link as it really was a downer but I also know that the purpose of the film is to impress on the importance of getting your pets fixed. I will mention it was produced by Brighton films. Nothing bothers me more than ruining a life that does no harm.

Thanks for allowing me to share this sorrow with you. I know some of you all feel the way I do. Maybe one day there will be law to have this stopped.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Head Chef

Are you talking about no kill shelters or talking about a law on fixing your pets.

EDIT

Sorry bout the loss, mate.. We had a 23 year old cat, an 18 year old cat and a 15 year old dog we ad to put to sleep all with in the same year. kinda sucked. the cat is older than me.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Are you saying that spaying your pet is a bad thing, or was there something else in the film?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Im a big believer in spaying and neutering its no differrent then getting your tubes tied or getting a vascectomy(sp?)
Old 10-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Master Chef

I haven't seen the film, but I'm guessing it showed the fate of all those unwanted puppies and kittens. When we have a pet put down, they give them a shot, but that's expensive.

I'll just leave it there.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Cans

the film was giving all the reasons why you should spay your pets. It was so horrible. Had so many cats and dogs in big barrels, all dead. Gave statistics but who wants to remember. Showed all the animals that were in cages waiting to be 'taken care of'. I really don't know how someone could sleep after doing a job like this? My vet prefers that I leave the dog but I do stay and he puts them to sleep and later he does what he has to do. LT72884 that is real loss. Please accept my sympathy. Like your heart is torn out of you. Losing them all same year, wow. Like they wanted to be together! My little guy just is so anxious when I go and then he rests so much when I am here. Must not relax until he knows I am around. Being deaf and now losing his sight, I will wait until he doesn't show any emotion before I do anything. He does enjoy playing and eating so that is still good sign. Now if only could find right friend. Won't give up.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Wow. I’d suggest never watching any kind of movie like that again! If you even think it’s remotely like that, turn it off.

Things can’t be “un-seen”, and once you see some things, they haunt you. There are simply things out there that you really should never see. I once saw a documentary on HBO. They were showing that in Asia, there are still places that eat cats and dogs. I can’t believe they were allowed to film some of this stuff, let alone the fact that people did this kind of stuff.

I won’t go into details, but there were scenes and images in that documentary that I really wish I hadn’t seen.....and that was 6 or more years ago.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Senior Cook

A few years back our neighbors had an older dog, a Sheltie. They wanted to get another dog, but not one that would aggravate or annoy the older one. They found a breed called Cavalier Prince Charles Spaniel (or something like that, it's a mouthful) that is known to cohabitate well with older dogs. So that is what they got. The spaniel did well as a puppy w/o irritating the older dog. It's a beautiful breed of dog. They went online to do their research and to locate one.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, they're pretty docile dogs and if I'm not mistaken... and I often am , the most "painted" dog in history.

It's really a tough call getting a companion animal a companion animal. You could wind up with just the opposite that you're after. My quiet house has been turned upside down with the addition of a puppy, but then, I didn't get the puppy for my other two either, so they will just have to accept things. You don't want your older pet to feel "threatened" or "left out" as you train your puppy and you also don't want the puppy to become animal bonded and not people bonded. You would be doing the puppy an injustice (of sorts) to expect him to keep your geriatric dog company.

If I were in your shoes I would try to adopt an older dog from a foster home that already has more than one dog. A dog you know is laid back with others and won't take up a lot of your time with training, just acclimating. There are lots of private rescue organizations that should be able to work with you if you don't want to take your chances on a shelter dog.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Your dog is 12, and my opinion would be to simply take him/her to a local park to socialize with other dogs, or try out a daycare for dogs for play time and socializing. Your dog may feel like he is getting old and being replaced should you introduce another dog to the home.