"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
do you believe how these people enjoy making fun of eating them? Here in the states they abuse the dogs and cats, is that any different than eating them? Heard of some creep who pulled the head off of his girlfriends kitten. You know where he is? Jail. Hope he thinks about it for LONG time.
You're comparing mainstream culture to deviant culture. Not applicable

Old 08-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Killing a dog or cat for fun or to eat is still cruel, IMO.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #13
DC Grandma

I agree with Wasabi !!
Our little Chi's are like our baby's to us except that they are sooooo spoiled.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

We need to remember that not all cultures are the same and we need to respect that. There are MANY things that we do in the USA that are just as disgusting to other cultures as eating dog or cat is to us.

Eating cow is now only disgusting to some, it is sacrilegious. The USA has no problem with that though. We need to accept other cultures for what they are and not try to impose our morals on them.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

unless they have oil.

i work with and am good friends with a korean engineer, who's tried dog meat. he had it while on maneuvers in the south korean army. someone in his patrol was tired of their rations, and stole a stray dog from a nearby village. the poor pup was made into a thick stew. my friend, young choi, said he had some so as not to look wimpy, and couldn't really tell that it was different than any other normally consumed meat.

according to guys i know that covered the olympics when it was in korea in '88, dogs were not a very popular dish there, except in some remote rural places. so i guess the people ate them just like many here in the rural areas of the u.s. eat "odd" critters", as fryboy had mentioned.

when young choi came to the u.s., we took him to his first yankee game, during which he noticed "hot dog" at the vendors carts. when we all ordered them, he joined in.
as the hot dogs were being passed down the row of seats and finally got to young choi, he remarked "i'm sorry. do i have to eat that part of the dog?"

you never know when he's kidding...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom

according to guys i know that covered the olympics when it was in korea in '88, dogs were not a very popular dish there, except in some remote rural places. so i guess the people ate them just like many here in the rural areas of the u.s. eat "odd" critters", as fryboy had mentioned.
I seem to remember that during those olympic games, the Koreans played down their dog consumption. Most markets stopped selling it and it was not very widely available so as not to offend the countries that were not used to dog being used for food.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #17
Master Chef

I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to trying different things, and if my children were starving, I guess I'd feed them any way I could, but I'd have to be awfully desparate to cook a dog.
Dogs are so intelligent, and they have so much heart...to me, they're like fuzzy people who can't talk. (Although my little Chloe sure tries!)
Old 08-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #18
Head Chef

Each to his own I guess. ((pukes)))
Old 08-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

mmmmm, puke. in a wakame shiso crust, and buerre blanc....

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
We need to remember that not all cultures are the same and we need to respect that. There are MANY things that we do in the USA that are just as disgusting to other cultures as eating dog or cat is to us.

Eating cow is now only disgusting to some, it is sacrilegious. The USA has no problem with that though. We need to accept other cultures for what they are and not try to impose our morals on them.
Precisely. Thanks for expanding on fryboy's post. Both comments are important reminders about cultural differences and hopefully deflect any unintentional promotion of negative stereotypes.

« Woohoo! | kites »