"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Dog/Oprah

Well, this is sensitive topic and each one of you have to handle it the way you can. But I just got email from Humane Society about Oprah having show on puppy mills. I am sure it will be revealing and heartbreaking so just wanted to pass on if you are interested. I will tape it so I can watch later. I am grateful she feels it is worth putting on her show to discuss. Bet the tears will flow from this. May wake some people up to know what is going on everyday to these innocent lives. Not fair.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

Yea, this is a very hot topic for me and it infuriates me to see how neglected these animals are. I don't watch Oprah, but I am glad that she is bringing attention to this issue. Is the episode today by chance?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

The episode is on today at 4 EST, if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

This is a hot topic in the dog community because no one knows if it is going to be so "pro shelter adoption", that it will disuade many people to buy from reputable breeders, breeders who just don't mate dogs for the buck or because " Ol Tess is such a great dog, lets get a puppy out of her before she's too old". Even AKC is getting ready to release a statement if needed, but let's be honest about the AKC... they would be shooting themselves in the foot not to register litters that even puppy farms raise.
Very sticky topic for sure.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Head Chef

I saw the show, I think it was one of the best shows Oprah has done. I was going to post a thread about it but I see another dog lover has already done so!

I knew puppy mills were bad but the people who run them are heartless monsters, less than human, if you ask me.

I really cried when they showed the manager of the Ft Worth facility discussing the # of dogs they have to euthanize each day. Both of my dogs came from a shelter. Our local shelter has to put down approx 75% of the strays they take in because they don't have the room.

Don't even get me started on all the irresponsible owners out there who don't spay and neuter and don't take care of their animals.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, this was just a super powerful show and after watching it, it just confirms that I would never go anywhere else but a shelter to get a dog.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I'm actually suprised she hasn't done something like this sooner. I just got home so I missed it. I probably couldn't have handled watching it anyway.

Aspen came from a "backyard breeder" so this is a subject I feel strongly about myself. I hope it opens more peoples eyes to this and maybe more people will call in complaints about questionable breeders they know of. Even if the breeder is legit, better safe than sorry I think.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone here, this was just a super powerful show and after watching it, it just confirms that I would never go anywhere else but a shelter to get a dog.
That doesn't offend me, because I don't breed dogs, but I heard the show went a little better than that. I heard that reputable breeders were cast in a positive light. Your conclusion is what the good breeders were afraid of. That people would see shelters as their only option. Oh well.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Thankful

Thankful you watched the show on behalf of the love of your own dog. I had to visit my vet at the time of the show. Had to take both puppies that I got one from Humane Society other from rescue group for checkup visit. When I told him they where they came from he cut my bill in half. Not that he said he did I could tell injections and checkup cost more than what he charged, plus bought the vitamins. Normally, he charges certain percentage less if you have more than 2 dogs. since I do, he gives me discount. He also encouraged me with the acupuncture. He told me most of his patients owners prefer to spare the expense as it is costly and have them put down. He questioned how I felt about the outcome and I told him not running like young dog but he is alive. I think he knows how I feel about dogs. Absolutely NO ONE can change my mind at this point. When I explain to others why I feel the way I do, I can tell they believe what I say. I admit I don't dress to the 9's like everyone wants to but my values are not one me. Never have been. Maybe others feel differently t hat is their choice as long as they know mine.

Hearing all the abuse done to these innocent lives is like living a nightmare. How can t hey do this? When I told my son how much I had to pay for the one dog from Humane Society, his words were 'you believe in what they do here so keep quiet'. Boy, did that shut me up and how true. I guess I would pay it again if I knew it would save a dog's life. They are worth it.

Now to take a deep breath and watch the tape.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Head Chef

I had the show on, not realizing at first what it was about, and when I did realize, I had to turn the channel.

I'm not normally a weak person, or one to bury my head in the sand, but I just cannot watch or hear anything bad regarding animals.

I contribute to the Humane Society every month, but toss the magazine they send me without reading it. I can't even look at the pictures.

Lee
Old 04-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That doesn't offend me, because I don't breed dogs, but I heard the show went a little better than that. I heard that reputable breeders were cast in a positive light. Your conclusion is what the good breeders were afraid of. That people would see shelters as their only option. Oh well.

I've purchased 5 dogs from breeders before, but now in good conscience I could not. The show did make the point that if you go to a breeder, make sure its a reputable breeder and ask to see the puppy's mama.

It breaks my heart to know that so many sweet dogs get put to sleep in shelters just because they weren't purebreds, weren't cute enough, or were scared and shy or sick.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm so glad Oprah finally put out a show like this. I did not watch it because I already know about puppy mills and it would have broken my heart once again. All 3 of our dogs are rescues found on the street or abandoned the same for our 2 cats. I'm happy Oprah did this show as she reaches more people than anyone.