Dog/Oprah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Well, this is sensitive topic and each one of you have to handle it the way you can. But I just got email from Humane Society about Oprah having show on puppy mills. I am sure it will be revealing and heartbreaking so just wanted to pass on if you are interested. I will tape it so I can watch later. I am grateful she feels it is worth putting on her show to discuss. Bet the tears will flow from this. May wake some people up to know what is going on everyday to these innocent lives. Not fair.

Yea, this is a very hot topic for me and it infuriates me to see how neglected these animals are. I don't watch Oprah, but I am glad that she is bringing attention to this issue. Is the episode today by chance?

The episode is on today at 4 EST, if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

This is a hot topic in the dog community because no one knows if it is going to be so "pro shelter adoption", that it will disuade many people to buy from reputable breeders, breeders who just don't mate dogs for the buck or because " Ol Tess is such a great dog, lets get a puppy out of her before she's too old". Even AKC is getting ready to release a statement if needed, but let's be honest about the AKC... they would be shooting themselves in the foot not to register litters that even puppy farms raise.
Very sticky topic for sure.

I saw the show, I think it was one of the best shows Oprah has done. I was going to post a thread about it but I see another dog lover has already done so!

I knew puppy mills were bad but the people who run them are heartless monsters, less than human, if you ask me.

I really cried when they showed the manager of the Ft Worth facility discussing the # of dogs they have to euthanize each day. Both of my dogs came from a shelter. Our local shelter has to put down approx 75% of the strays they take in because they don't have the room.

Don't even get me started on all the irresponsible owners out there who don't spay and neuter and don't take care of their animals.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, this was just a super powerful show and after watching it, it just confirms that I would never go anywhere else but a shelter to get a dog.

Last edited:
I'm actually suprised she hasn't done something like this sooner. I just got home so I missed it. I probably couldn't have handled watching it anyway.

Aspen came from a "backyard breeder" so this is a subject I feel strongly about myself. I hope it opens more peoples eyes to this and maybe more people will call in complaints about questionable breeders they know of. Even if the breeder is legit, better safe than sorry I think.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, this was just a super powerful show and after watching it, it just confirms that I would never go anywhere else but a shelter to get a dog.

That doesn't offend me, because I don't breed dogs, but I heard the show went a little better than that. I heard that reputable breeders were cast in a positive light. Your conclusion is what the good breeders were afraid of. That people would see shelters as their only option. Oh well. :neutral:

Thankful

Thankful you watched the show on behalf of the love of your own dog. I had to visit my vet at the time of the show. Had to take both puppies that I got one from Humane Society other from rescue group for checkup visit. When I told him they where they came from he cut my bill in half. Not that he said he did I could tell injections and checkup cost more than what he charged, plus bought the vitamins. Normally, he charges certain percentage less if you have more than 2 dogs. since I do, he gives me discount. He also encouraged me with the acupuncture. He told me most of his patients owners prefer to spare the expense as it is costly and have them put down. He questioned how I felt about the outcome and I told him not running like young dog but he is alive. I think he knows how I feel about dogs. Absolutely NO ONE can change my mind at this point. When I explain to others why I feel the way I do, I can tell they believe what I say. I admit I don't dress to the 9's like everyone wants to but my values are not one me. Never have been. Maybe others feel differently t hat is their choice as long as they know mine.

Hearing all the abuse done to these innocent lives is like living a nightmare. How can t hey do this? When I told my son how much I had to pay for the one dog from Humane Society, his words were 'you believe in what they do here so keep quiet'. Boy, did that shut me up and how true. I guess I would pay it again if I knew it would save a dog's life. They are worth it.

Now to take a deep breath and watch the tape.

I had the show on, not realizing at first what it was about, and when I did realize, I had to turn the channel.

I'm not normally a weak person, or one to bury my head in the sand, but I just cannot watch or hear anything bad regarding animals.

I contribute to the Humane Society every month, but toss the magazine they send me without reading it. I can't even look at the pictures.

Lee

That doesn't offend me, because I don't breed dogs, but I heard the show went a little better than that. I heard that reputable breeders were cast in a positive light. Your conclusion is what the good breeders were afraid of. That people would see shelters as their only option. Oh well. :neutral:

I've purchased 5 dogs from breeders before, but now in good conscience I could not. The show did make the point that if you go to a breeder, make sure its a reputable breeder and ask to see the puppy's mama.

It breaks my heart to know that so many sweet dogs get put to sleep in shelters just because they weren't purebreds, weren't cute enough, or were scared and shy or sick.

:) I'm so glad Oprah finally put out a show like this. I did not watch it because I already know about puppy mills and it would have broken my heart once again. All 3 of our dogs are rescues found on the street or abandoned the same for our 2 cats. I'm happy Oprah did this show as she reaches more people than anyone.

I just finished watching the 12:30 am replay of the show here. I was bawling like a baby! I was conflicted as to whether or not I should even watch, since I already knew how horrible puppy mills are and knew it would be hard to watch. The part that really got to me was seeing all the animals in the Houston shelter and how many are euthanized every day. My husband was even teary-eyed (but don't let him know I told you that!)

I have nothing against reputable small-scale breeders as I would hate to see entire breeds of dogs die out. I will continue to adopt from shelters (or if I definitely want another purebred German Shepherd from a German Shepherd rescue group).

I'm glad Oprah did this show - The info will reach a lot of people who wouldn't know about it otherwise.

Sleep!

Who needs sleep when you watch that this is going on to such sweet creatures? I cried the entire show, from beginning to end. Thankful Oprah has a heart for animals. If she can't get the message out, no one can.

What struck me the most was when the dog they were going to wagged his tail slightly as he entered the door. That was the moment that broke my heart. did he deserve that? I DON"T THINK so.

What about the woman in LA who adopts ones that no one wants? Oprah donated $10,000. I could have done that but I am being cynical because I think they are worth so much more. Every LITTLE bit helps. Over in Japan they are supposed to 'rent' dogs for while.

People today seem like they don't want to think outside their own little box. How all these causes not only for protection of animals but others applying to helping people can go ignored because they think me first!

I am so upset. Just accept this as my way of trying to get rid of my anger.

In case anyone is interested:
From the AKC

RONALD H. MENAKER
CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD
DENNIS B. SPRUNG
PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Ms. Oprah Winfrey April 4, 2008
The Oprah Winfrey Show
110 N. Carpenter Street
Chicago, IL 60607

Dear Ms. Winfrey:

Thank you for your informative show today. We are very pleased that a
renowned dog lover such as you has taken on the issue of unregulated dog
breeders - an issue we work towards addressing on a daily basis

The American Kennel Club has always been a strong proponent of
responsible breeding, which entails giving careful consideration to
health issues, temperament and genetic screening, as well as to the
individual care and placement of puppies in responsible homes. AKC
supports and promotes these and other responsible breeding practices
through numerous educational programs.

In addition to raising awareness, we have long invested significant
resources to directly address the issue of canine welfare. In 2007, our
team of 15 inspectors visited over 5,600 kennels throughout the country.
AKC spends over $6 million each year to inspect our customers, thereby
ensuring the integrity of our registry and the proper care and
conditions for dogs registered with us. In fact, of over 35 U.S.
registries we are the only one to conduct inspections,
as well as being the only not-for-profit all-breed registry in the
nation. AKC is continually raising the bar. When our inspectors find
kennels that do not meet our progressive standards, they educate those
breeders. Those not willing to come into compliance are suspended of
their AKC registration privileges and proper authorities are alerted in
cases of neglect.

Unfortunately, there are many breeders who choose NOT to register with
us specifically because of our high standards, and once they are no
longer being inspected by the AKC, there is often very little oversight
from state or federal entities. AKC supports scrupulous enforcement of
the federal Animal Welfare Act, and state and local regulations
governing the humane care of animals. We also voice support for more
resources to be allotted to the USDA and other enforcement agencies to
ensure that current regulations are met.

AKC's 5,000 affiliated clubs nationwide are comprised of people who
dedicate their lives - emotionally and financially - to improving their
breeds and to providing healthy, happy pets. We would like to work with
you to further educate the American public about how to identify a
responsible breeder and hope you will call on us when addressing this
topic in the future.

Again, thank you for raising awareness of this important issue. Your
support is invaluable to all dogs and their devoted owners.

Sincerely,

Ronald H. Menaker Dennis B. Sprung
Chairman of the Board President and CEO

I swear they said they were going to update this previously shown episode. It was a rerun-no updates.
But ever poignent, tear jerking, tear-your-heart-out episode.

Pacanis, thanks.

SPAY/NEUTER and ADOPT

I haven't seen the show, would like a download of the segment if anyone has it.

I have two labs. One, our first, came from a breeder, a real breeder. When we called about a dog, she was on the phone with us for 20 minutes finding out if we would be allowed to come see the dogs. After se said that we could come, we went up. We saw both partents and the blood lines. She has several dogs there. She has been breeding for over 25 years. Among other things, she told us that she was in no hurry to sell the dogs. If she did not approve of the people, the dogs stayed there. When we picked "Liam" she spent 2 hours with us telling just how 'her" dog was to be raised. She offers $25.00 back for a copy of the spay neuter cert, and an additional $25.00 back for a copy of a Cannine Good Citizen cert. Liam has been with him 5 years and is an outstanding dog.

"Bear" is our chocolate lab. He is an outstanding specimine. We rescued him from a home that kept him crated 23 hours a day. He is also 5 and one of the gentlest most loving dogs that I have ever seen. He was terribly out of shape and traumatized when he came to us. It took close to 2 years for him to accept that he was in a good home.

We would not part with either of them. They have formed a "dog pack" of which we are members in good standing. :rolleyes:

I saw it.......too sad.....about as sad as people bringing humans into the world when they can't afford them either........ok off the soapbox...to this day I can't read child abuse stories......will weep forever......just can't do it........so please be proactive.. and watch out for yourselves

Back
Top Bottom