"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
Head Chef

This morning I picked up some free mulch from the county park. It's atrocious stuff, smells awful. Don't know what all's in it, but I can use it for a corner where I will never plant. While I was spreading it in one spot, my nitwit dog, after having rolled in it, was avidly chewing on a woody piece. It remains to be seen what happens next. She doesn't seem unhappy, except for having to spit out the offending chunk. The one I saw her with, anyway.

But at least no maggots. Whew!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #32
Head Chef

Our big girl, Keena, long gone over the Rainbow Bridge, was big enough to stand up and take things off the counter, out of the sink, and even off the stove. Let's see,

She ate parts of innumerable wooden spoons and plastic spatulas that were just thrown in the sink and left to clean later.

When we took proteins out to defrost out of the freezer, they had to be put in the middle of the counter (island) or else they wouldn't be there when we got back home.

She "ate" the front part of the couch arm/end once. Never did anything to the furniture other than that one time though. Guess she got upset at our leaving for some reason that day.

Daughter had one of those buckets with the tops from McDonald's that they used to use for Happy Meals around Halloween time. She used it to collect her Halloween candy and kept it in her bedroom. She was a tween then, old enough to know not to eat herself sick and to throw wrappers away when she was done. Keena somehow opened the bedroom door, got the bucket down from the dresser, popped the top and ate nearly all the candy, eating some of the wrappers and actually getting some of them off.

A few years later, came home one day to find one of our daughter's bottles of perfume laying on the stairs, mostly empty, and with the atomizer top off. She had left it on the bathroom counter. Expensive perfume too. The house didn't smell like perfume so we assume Keena drank it.

Oh, she figured out how to pop the latch on the gate in the yard too. She'd go for walk abouts with the pugs tagging along with her until we put a stop to that. She then figured out another way to get out. At least she didn't do it too often.

We had smothered chicken simmering away on the stove one evening, went outside to talk to the neighbors while it cooked. When we came back, the top was pushed off to the side of the pan and there was 1, yes 1, piece of chicken left and the gravy. No mess on the floor, no mess on the stove and she had graciously left us 1 piece to eat for dinner.

The dog must have had a cast iron stomach and obviously a cast iron mouth given all the things she ate.

I miss her....

Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #33
Head Chef

By the way, she was just shy of 14 when she passed over the bridge.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #34
Head Chef

No, no carpet in my house--between 3 dogs, one cat, and lots of dirt tracked in (by me!) the from the garden, carpet would be a major mistake. I do have a couple of big area rugs. Why do creatures aim for the rugs when they have 'troubles'?

Luckily, I discovered early that the rugs could be hosed off outdoors.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Wow. Just reading this thread. You really started something Alex, or maybe it was your dog? Anyway, your golden sounds wonderful when he is feeling well. I have had many different breeds of dogs before my golden retrievers, and they truly are the best! I just love them. Having said that, I didn't like it the day Cooper came home with a baby rabbit in his mouth. It was alive and SCREAMING, even though I don't think he was hurting it-just bring it to share with us! You know-soft mouth and all Anyway, We rescued it, just in time for a hawk to come along and snatch it right up as it was running away. We were horrified, but it was just that baby bunny's time to go I guess.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

My Rhodesian Ridgeback caught a bunny in my dog's "potty area", adjacent to the house. He must have been pretty quick to get it before my other two did. He does not have a soft mouth, lol. Now his eyes wander and scan the yard every time he goes off the porch. Just a dog being a dog.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
My Rhodesian Ridgeback caught a bunny in my dog's "potty area", adjacent to the house. He must have been pretty quick to get it before my other two did. He does not have a soft mouth, lol. Now his eyes wander and scan the yard every time he goes off the porch. Just a dog being a dog.
Right...the dog didn't go crazy, the dog went dog! We have cottontails and jack rabbits all over around here. They don't even act afraid of the dogs. It almost seems like a game to them. It is just the babies that they have a chance of catching.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #38
Everymom

Murray is unusually large for a Golden. He was bred by a line that uses the dogs for hunting. He was born on an acreage where the four Goldens ran where they pleased. He was never in a house til we brought him home.

The breeder told us that her female (Murray's mom) and her male once treed a bear in their yard! Ya gotta give it to them, that is a HUNTING dog! They regularly caught bunnies and brought them home for her. Murray chases the showshoe hares in our neighbourhood, but thankfully has not caught one yet. He darned near caught a magpie the other day though. Stupid bird was poking along in the backyard, ignoring the dog. Murray was sunning himself and didn't notice the magpie at first. When he did notice, he turned over slowly and waited til the bird had its back turned. If I hadn't yelped I think he would have caught the dumb bird. He was most irritated with me. I got the big ignore for a while.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #39
Contest Winner

Another night of hot pockets........I think I am radio active ......... Oh where is my beautiful wife..........I am losing my color

I feel like a dog that lost its bone.......Does that count Alix
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidrite View Post
Another night of hot pockets........I think I am radio active ......... Oh where is my beautiful wife..........I am losing my color

I feel like a dog that lost its bone.......Does that count Alix

Poor James...all excited and no one to hug!

Tags
eating