Dog Stuff - May contain gross comments, do not read after eating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I've been dealing with dog issues the last several days. My poor Golden had some kind of tummy upset which led to some pretty loose stool.

In the house.

While I was out.

Twice!

Murray is the cleanest dog ever, has NEVER messed in the house since he was a very small puppy and was clearly embarrassed. Poor guy went as far from his "living space" as he could. Unfortunately, that meant he went downstairs into the carpeted basement. Ick. Thank goodness for my little green machine and vinegar.

So, the upside of this story is that Murray is on the mend. I had a PM chat with pacanis about the rice/burger mixture and dealt with things.

(Apparently you need to let their tummies rest for 24 hours - no food, then feed cooked white rice with a little ,well drained, cooked burger. The amounts would depend on the size of your dog. Pacanis would be a better source for that, hopefully he will chime in.)

Murray felt so good that Ken took him on a walk this morning and Murray did what dogs always do...he ate some rabbit raisins. Ugh. This in itself is not the truly gross part of the story. Murray came in after his walk, slurped down a gallon of water and came to say good morning to me, lips trailing water as he ran. Just before he got to me, he burped. Or perhaps I should say...vurped. I got to start my morning by cleaning up wet rabbit raisins off my hardwood. *sigh*

He is now sleeping peacefully in his "den" behind the loveseat. What a moroon. I love that big goofball.

Anyone else with goofy dog stories?

Attachments

• Photo 17.jpg
    Photo 17.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
You have to love Goldens. They commit so completely to you. All they want from life is to be right next to you and make you happy.

Tomorrow I have to put Max in the kennels for 4 weeks, I hate doing it Max never seems to bother.
I have always fed my dogs on dried mix, its only when you break the regime and give them treats of human food you get probs.I had a really foul mother in law for my first marriage so before she came to visit I would give the German Shep I had then liver and beans that made her fart like mad. I would blame my M in Law, she soon got the hint.:LOL:
garden & BBQ 064.jpg

Tomorrow I have to put Max in the kennels for 4 weeks, I hate doing it Max never seems to bother.
I have always fed my dogs on dried mix, its only when you break the regime and give them treats of human food you get probs.I had a really foul mother in law for my first marriage so before she came to visit I would give the German Shep I had then liver and beans that made her fart like mad. I would blame my M in Law, she soon got the hint.:LOL:
View attachment 11121

Speaking as a Mother in Law....:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Two of our pugs are prone to colitis. We have an avocado tree in the backyard, which is their potty, sunning, running, barking area. These 2, especially 1 of them, particularly LOVE avocados and they eat the peel and the flesh. Unfortunately, the peel has a toxin in it that causes the 2 of them to have a colitis attack. So, we go thru this yearly for several months on and off. Even if I do an avocado run daily, they still manage to find (or hide) 1 or 2 I missed.

Anyway, my vet has told me to use chicken and rice when an attack starts. The premise being that chicken is easier to digest than beef and is also a complete change from their dog food. Always works and if I catch it right away usually doesn't take more than a few days to get them back to normal. I just boil chicken thighs w/o skin and defatted in just enough water to cover until done, remove the chicken, then cook the rice in that water, shred the chicken and mix. I usually try to keep a bag in the freezer so I can pull it out at the first sign of trouble.

Bolas, you should be around a pug that has colitis. The farts are just ..... well.... unspeakable (maybe unbreathable would be a better word). They'd drive St. Franics away.

Last edited:
Whenever I've gotten a rescue in, I've fasted the dog for 36 hours because I'll be switching food. I've also found that honey on toast helps settle the stomach. Little meals as they come back on, several times a day, helps.

I've fed my dogs kibble; I've fed my dogs cooked diets; and I've fed my dogs raw. Dogs are like people--some do better on one food than the other. Do whatever works. Right now, Roz and I are eating the same diet.

Last edited:
For the most part BRAT works on kids so it should work on dogs too. I'm hoping I won't have to deal with this again any time soon! He just turned 4 and this is the first episode we've had where I've needed to intervene. Oh he's had issues from eating bones, or slurping up fatty turkey skin, but nothing of this magnitude. He doesn't even fart really. We have a pretty decent food for him. When he was a puppy he scratched himself all the time and I finally realized he was probably allergic to something in his food. We switched to a wheat free formula with more meat than filler and he's been great ever since.

He is currently considering bugging the cat...we'll see how that goes over.

OK, I've been dealing with dog issues the last several days. My poor Golden had some kind of tummy upset which led to some pretty loose stool.

In the house.

While I was out.

Twice!

Murray is the cleanest dog ever, has NEVER messed in the house since he was a very small puppy and was clearly embarrassed. Poor guy went as far from his "living space" as he could. Unfortunately, that meant he went downstairs into the carpeted basement. Ick. Thank goodness for my little green machine and vinegar.

So, the upside of this story is that Murray is on the mend. I had a PM chat with pacanis about the rice/burger mixture and dealt with things.

(Apparently you need to let their tummies rest for 24 hours - no food, then feed cooked white rice with a little ,well drained, cooked burger. The amounts would depend on the size of your dog. Pacanis would be a better source for that, hopefully he will chime in.)

Murray felt so good that Ken took him on a walk this morning and Murray did what dogs always do...he ate some rabbit raisins. Ugh. This in itself is not the truly gross part of the story. Murray came in after his walk, slurped down a gallon of water and came to say good morning to me, lips trailing water as he ran. Just before he got to me, he burped. Or perhaps I should say...vurped. I got to start my morning by cleaning up wet rabbit raisins off my hardwood. *sigh*

He is now sleeping peacefully in his "den" behind the loveseat. What a moroon. I love that big goofball.

Anyone else with goofy dog stories?

What a beautiful dog...Goldens are so...doggy!:wub:

Not a digestive story, but prior to having a destination wedding, we let our two little white dogs out for one more time before leaving on our trip. Bart came back in the house looking like Groucho Marx, with a big black moustache. Took me a minute to realize he had in his mouth a very dead mole, obviously to be our wedding present!

One of our cockers would also carefully capture live toads in his mouth, and gently let them loose in the house. He foamed at the mouth a bit, not quite getting that toads can be poisonous to dogs.

Beagle recently deposited what looked like a dead leaf on the carpet, standing over it proudly. Dead hummingbird. Thankfully it was previously dead. I reminded her that beagles are rabbit hunters, not bird dogs.

Last edited:
Oh I'm soooo thankful Murray hasn't brought home any dead things to express his love. That's a cat job in our house. He brings me his toys whenever I come home though.

We have "outside" toys and "inside" toys. I'm reasonably certain one of the inside toys he used to love made it outside and got buried. There is a suspicious pile of dirt behind the lilac bush. *sigh* Oops.

Oh I'm soooo thankful Murray hasn't brought home any dead things to express his love. That's a cat job in our house. He brings me his toys whenever I come home though.

We have "outside" toys and "inside" toys. I'm reasonably certain one of the inside toys he used to love made it outside and got buried. There is a suspicious pile of dirt behind the lilac bush. *sigh* Oops.

The cats here have oodles of toys of all kinds. I can never find any of the furry mice I buy for them...until we come back from being gone overnight. They all show up on the bed. There were 25 mice on the bed when we got back from Oregon.

neither of my doxies were prone to dead things just little fellows they could tease and let go in the house nowthe DArn cat loves to deposit mice and dead rabbits, gophers on the doorstep smile at us and walk away. If we ignor her she will replay with it till all is over if not well it stays til someone gets a shovel.
kades

The cats here have oodles of toys of all kinds. I can never find any of the furry mice I buy for them...until we come back from being gone overnight. They all show up on the bed. There were 25 mice on the bed when we got back from Oregon.

Awwww! That's so cute!

He's very cute! When one of the dogs here has that problem it is no food for 24 hours, then plain rice, then maybe add in some cooked sweet potato or canned pumpkin, then after 2 or 3 days I start to slowly add back regular food.

He's very cute! When one of the dogs here has that problem it is no food for 24 hours, then plain rice, then maybe add in some cooked sweet potato or canned pumpkin, then after 2 or 3 days I start to slowly add back regular food.

Works for Shrek!!!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom