"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I've never had a dog that needed a sweater, although they don't want to spend as much time outside on the few days it gets really cold here. (I have to admit though that I've been eyeing little sweaters and Halloween costumes for my puppy Junior. He's the smallest dog I've ever had.)
seems the smaller they are the more susceptible they are to the elements. I just love little dogs and big ones too, but when so tiny they need more attention. Or maybe it is just me that worries too much. so fragile.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
seems the smaller they are the more susceptible they are to the elements. I just love little dogs and big ones too, but when so tiny they need more attention. Or maybe it is just me that worries too much. so fragile.
My friends with chihuahuas all put sweaters on them in the cold weather, too, because they get chilled really easily. So think you're right to dress your little ones, ITK.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Head Chef

On the same note, anyone know where i can get a sweater for my chickens, or even a crochet pattern so my wife can make them.

I saw this on the internet, and just wondered why ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2908040pc.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	5705  
Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I knew it! That sure made me laugh. Just what I needed! Helps with the kind of day I have. Will check to see if I can find patterns for you. But will your wife want to crochet for the birds? Sounds wild but picture proves someone thought of it.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

Ya gotta spoil em' This was my Great Dane, Master Teke's Lady Heather and feline friend back in 1987.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Do you knit or crochet?
There's lots of free doggie sweater patterns online and if you just get the cheap Red Heart super saver yarn you could probably make one for about $4.
Chicken patterns however....... you never know... there's something out there for everyone I guess! :)
Old 10-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #17
Head Chef

My wife crochets a lot, and has actually won a few blue ribbons at the county fair. She probably would make something for the chickens and possibly the dog too ( when she's not bogged down making baby blankets and sweaters....).
Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #18
Head Chef

this may sound a little crazy but I'm ordering my dog a $39 cashmere sweater from
Designer dog clothes, designer dog collars, designer dog beds, designer dog carriers | Trixie + Peanut. He is a little dauschund mix, and his fur is very short. He also wears a Fido Fleece in the winter (I think they are around $25). My basset hound also has a Fido Fleece - but she has meat on her bones, so I don't get her big sweaters.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
JM, I used to use pet safe salt, but have stopped. It pitted my concrete so bad, I figured it couldn't be good for the dog's feet either. Maybe it is safe for pets.... but it sure doesn't like concrete.
Ahh ... that is good to know. We have a black top drive so I haven't noticed anything but it good to know for our sidwalk. I'll have to watch for problems this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I just had a thought. Why not look for sweaters in the baby and kids department at Walmart etc?
That's a great idea! I wonder, though, if the arm holes would be in the right position. The sleeves on Halloween T-shirt (a dog specific shirt) I just bought seem to be forward more. Hmmm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
...Isn't that an insult? She will let me take care of her kids but not the dogs...
Yes, I think that is very hurtful!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
this may sound a little crazy but I'm ordering my dog a $39 cashmere sweater from
Designer dog clothes, designer dog collars, designer dog beds, designer dog carriers | Trixie + Peanut. He is a little dauschund mix, and his fur is very short. He also wears a Fido Fleece in the winter (I think they are around $25). My basset hound also has a Fido Fleece - but she has meat on her bones, so I don't get her big sweaters.
we all do things for our pets that we consider too much for our family. I got another puppy which I hadn't planned on because the one I got was so lonely. Now I have two pups and one old dog. I just could not bear to have him cry continually when I was gone. So if spending extra on your pets is worth it. I just recently saw Oprah show with dogs. If that wouldn't break your heart I don't know what will. One dog with only two right legs, other ones had to be amputated. Greyhound on top of it, big dog. Another dog Jack Russell could actually count and add, subtract, and divide. Hope some of you got to see it. I was glad it was taped. Each dog was better than the last. I would take them all home if I could.

Like I always say, dogs treat me better than most of the people I know. Of course, I am doubtful about rottweilers and doberman. Neighbor has two of each and now got some kind of big dog that when it barks sounds like a foghorn. One thing, that one gets attention. Wonder what kind of dog it is? I dare not ask as they know I am fearful of the other dogs especially when they get in my yard. I wouldn't want them to tare my pups in pieces. the old dog can't even see or hear so he would be goner.

Sorry, when I get started talking about dogs my mind seems to 'drift'.