"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Dog Sweaters

I have three small dogs that need sweaters during the cold weather. going to Petsmart which is almost monthly, I saw sweaters there with lowest one costing around $13. Now I don't know where you people go for your pets, but I found Wal Mart to have the most and the cheapest. I was so ecstatic that I bought 2 sweaters for each dog, in case one gets soiled. The sweaters may not be stylish but sure do the job of keeping them warm.

My niece who at the present time has only 14 fosters, advised me to put some kind of shoes on the dogs when it snows. How many of you do this? I just can't believe all the different things Petsmart has for the pets in your life. Of course their sweaters were much cuter than Wal Mart.

If I have to buy my underwear there, who is to say it isn't good enough for my dogs? I know they won't complain.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Head Chef

We have a medium sized dog who would probably be warmer outside in the winter if he wore the coat I bought him but he won't move when it's on (it is big enough, I think he doesn't like the feel of it). I think I found his coat at Foster and Smith (we live near their warehouse and they have an outlet store on site) but have seen the ones at Walmart and else where too. This spring when I was at Target, they had a ton of their winter designs for dogs on huge clearance. Petsmart had the same thing ... something to keep in mind if you need new ones for next winter.

I have seen the booties in several stores but have never tried them. We use pet safe salt on our drive and walk ways and if we go for a walk, I just wipe off his feet with a damp cloth when we get home. Hi pads get really dry and cracked from the snow and cold so we put Eucerin on them once in a while. I use baby socks to cover his paws for a while when I do this. He doesn't like it but I think has learned it's helping so he'll leave them for about 30 minutes.

I agree about Petsmart ... I love wandering around, finding something new that both our dog and cat JUST have to have! I do think they have the best price on treats though. And, they are the only ones I've found that carry the wet food our cat can have.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never been a big fan of doggie sweaters or shoes, unless you are going for a fashion statement, which is fine. I know people that do that and their dogs look pretty cool, it's just not for me or my poochies. And of course mushers have generally gone the way of shoes to protect their sled dogs' feet, so that's OK if your dogs are going to be out of snow and sharp ice for hours on end, or walking where people have put down salt or deicer. I suppose if you were going to put your dogs outside for an extended period of time shoes and sweaters might not be such a bad idea. I personally don't want to be bothered dressing up my dogs. Even my Ridgeback, who hates rain and cold. He doesn't seem to notice he's "supposed to be cold" when we are outside playing Maybe if I had a Chinese Crested or Mexican Hairless I might consider a sweater, but I would never have a Chinese Crested or Mexican Hairless
Pet Edge has some pretty nice looking outfits. I like to look at them when I get their catologs. Some of them I swear the outfits take up 1/3 of the pages, so they are indeed popular these days.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

JM, I used to use pet safe salt, but have stopped. It pitted my concrete so bad, I figured it couldn't be good for the dog's feet either. Maybe it is safe for pets.... but it sure doesn't like concrete.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
I have three small dogs that need sweaters during the cold weather. going to Petsmart which is almost monthly, I saw sweaters there with lowest one costing around $13. Now I don't know where you people go for your pets, but I found Wal Mart to have the most and the cheapest. I was so ecstatic that I bought 2 sweaters for each dog, in case one gets soiled. The sweaters may not be stylish but sure do the job of keeping them warm.

My niece who at the present time has only 14 fosters, advised me to put some kind of shoes on the dogs when it snows. How many of you do this? I just can't believe all the different things Petsmart has for the pets in your life. Of course their sweaters were much cuter than Wal Mart.

If I have to buy my underwear there, who is to say it isn't good enough for my dogs? I know they won't complain.

You buy your unders at Petsmart????
Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I just had a thought. Why not look for sweaters in the baby and kids department at Walmart etc?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
We get a lot of things here. We have been happy with the prices. I have two labs. I have never had an inclination for coats for them. they love outdoors and snow. DW has said she would consider coats only to keep them dry in the rain. Boots are scary, I do not believe they would wear them and I would be concerned that my big chocolate would eat them. Don't ask what he has eaten. In his view theyre are eight, not seven basic food groups. The eighth is everything that does not fit into the first seven. His motto - "If in doubt, eat it!"
Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
[/COLOR]

You buy your unders at Petsmart????
I don't think it is big enough. Wal Mart carries my size!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
We have a medium sized dog who would probably be warmer outside in the winter if he wore the coat I bought him but he won't move when it's on (it is big enough, I think he doesn't like the feel of it). I think I found his coat at Foster and Smith (we live near their warehouse and they have an outlet store on site) but have seen the ones at Walmart and else where too. This spring when I was at Target, they had a ton of their winter designs for dogs on huge clearance. Petsmart had the same thing ... something to keep in mind if you need new ones for next winter.

I have seen the booties in several stores but have never tried them. We use pet safe salt on our drive and walk ways and if we go for a walk, I just wipe off his feet with a damp cloth when we get home. Hi pads get really dry and cracked from the snow and cold so we put Eucerin on them once in a while. I use baby socks to cover his paws for a while when I do this. He doesn't like it but I think has learned it's helping so he'll leave them for about 30 minutes.

I agree about Petsmart ... I love wandering around, finding something new that both our dog and cat JUST have to have! I do think they have the best price on treats though. And, they are the only ones I've found that carry the wet food our cat can have.
I am sure my niece would be happy to hear about the way you take care of your animals. she is the one who thinks I need training not the dogs. She truly loves her animals before anyone. Didn't think I was good enough for her dogs. Isn't that an insult? She will let me take care of her kids but not the dogs.

Thanks JP for sharing all your info with me. And all who comment about the sweaters. My little ones don't even want to go o utside if it is cold.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I've never had a dog that needed a sweater, although they don't want to spend as much time outside on the few days it gets really cold here. (I have to admit though that I've been eyeing little sweaters and Halloween costumes for my puppy Junior. He's the smallest dog I've ever had.)