"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-28-2006, 11:37 PM   #11
Head Chef

The only sad thing, is that their unconditional love can be so bad for them...those poor dogs that get abused by their owners but still come back for more and love their owners no matter what....

Old 04-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
The only sad thing, is that their unconditional love can be so bad for them...those poor dogs that get abused by their owners but still come back for more and love their owners no matter what....
Very true, but they also demonstrate the ability to forgive, and for a human to accomplish that is so very difficult!!! If someone can forgive vs retaliate... I put much more stock in the person that can forgive someone doinig something atrocious than to retaliate. It is so sad that people do that to animals, and it breaks my heart!!!!

I agree, tho, dogs are taken advantage of because of their continued love and dedication.... that is what truly amazes me about them.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

Oh I know...I am staring at my Kenzo right now...he's laying/sleeping on my spot on the couch. Finally stopped scratching..I can't imagine life without him.

My sister has two labs, outside ONLY dogs. Sorry, but I can't stand that. My dad's hunting dog died when I was young due to being an outside ONLY dog.

My dogs are inside unless they want to go out...
Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Oh I know...I am staring at my Kenzo right now...he's laying/sleeping on my spot on the couch. Finally stopped scratching..I can't imagine life without him.

My sister has two labs, outside ONLY dogs. Sorry, but I can't stand that. My dad's hunting dog died when I was young due to being an outside ONLY dog.

My dogs are inside unless they want to go out...
Yea, I think it is harder to maintain that relationship when they are outside all the time and you are inside. I agree, I like spending time with my pooches, and I am sure they love spending time with us!!! I just could not have it any other way!

ITK... I really admire anyone that is willing to take the time, effort and $$$ to try and support their pet. We had an Alaskan Malamute that had epilepsy and that was seven years of constant care to keep the seizures at bay and ensure his kidneys were not taking a beating from the phenobarb. He is gone now, but bless his heart, it was hard to watch when he was having those seizures.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #15
Head Chef

There is nothing better than being greeted in the morning by your dog. The alarm goes off, snooze gets hit a few times, and you have an audience just staring at you with tails waggin'!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
There is nothing better than being greeted in the morning by your dog. The alarm goes off, snooze gets hit a few times, and you have an audience just staring at you with tails waggin'!!!
Ours don't let us get past the snooze tho... they are ready to go at the alarm or the first bat of an eyelash!!!! Geeze, I just want sleep!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #17
Head Chef

Cesar Milan has a book out and I've just read it and it is exceptional! I love his shows! He's taught me more about dogs than I've learned in my lifetime and I'm thought to be gifted with them. He's fantastic!

Old 05-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Book

I plan on getting his book, or at least check it out at library. His shows are truly impressive. Not every dog has the same problem. Some seem as though they are pretty dangerous. He even imitates the dogs mannerisms. He makes me laugh when he shakes like they do. I don't really think he realizes it himself but wants the owner to know the dog is serious. People do need to have help in what their dog needs. He does fault the owners for the habits they develop. He never has said that it is the dog's fault! They are only reflection of how the owners t reat them. That is what so wonderful about this animal.

Yesterday I talked to lady who has license plate 'S4R-DOG'. I told her I knew who was boss in her family. She said she has one golden lab. A lso admitted that her dog is boss. Wouldn't want to ever have to give him up. This is the kind of person I can trust. Sometimes I find myself wondering how I can talk to stranger I never met before? Dogs are my weakness.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #19
Cook

Well, I saw this post and just had to take a look at the show Friday night and I thought it was great. I was surprised at how great Cesar was with the dogs and how easy it was for owners to learn the techniques to use on their pets. I love dogs and I think this show will help me become more prepared for when I have a house and get a couple of companions myself.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Not Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar N' Spice
Well, I saw this post and just had to take a look at the show Friday night and I thought it was great. I was surprised at how great Cesar was with the dogs and how easy it was for owners to learn the techniques to use on their pets. I love dogs and I think this show will help me become more prepared for when I have a house and get a couple of companions myself.
Thanks for watching. I feel education is key to understanding life. I hope that day isn't too far off so that you can enjoy the love of a dog in your life. I cannot believe how the dogs know my moods. They seem to be getting more understanding as they grow old. (Or is that me?) You are missing a big part of life by not having a companion like them. People are okay; a dog can understand your spirit. Let us know when you get your house and find your friend. I wish you good luck on both.