Dogs Again!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I don't know if you recall me telling you of my niece that had 15 foster dogs to care for? They are all old dogs that people give up due to physical problems connected with age. Nobody wants something old. Now her husband has gotten a different job due to the plant closing. The job was close to where he lives. Two weeks after he started working, they told him he was to be transferred to a plant 800 miles away! Only one weekend month is allowed. What are they thinking? He has family. Do you think that is the purpose behind all these transfers is to break up the families? There is so much stress already why can't businesses try to understand how their employees feel?

I am so sorry that she will have to give all the dogs up. How can she handle them w/o his help? Granted, there are too many for one individual. It is only due to the fact of her love that she does this. She grooms them regularly and takes them to the vet. All of them require time.

Her only child, a daughter ran off when my niece remarried and now no one knows where she is. Since my niece has shared custody w/her granddaughter's father she also is concerned that she will lose that if she would move w/her husband. I really feel the dogs are outlet for her to think about something other than where her daughter is. I just don't know how she is holding up. She is not the type to ask for help.

She knows no one will take the dogs if she has to give them up. I don't have any suggestions for her what to do unless he looks for other work.

t hanks for your time. Seems good just to write about it and ponder the situation. One thing you can always count on and that is change. Nothing remains the same. I feel so down again.

Is there a local ASPCA around? They are usually more than willing to help and can help relocate animals if the current owner is unable to care for them.

You are right ITK... things do change, and when it comes to our pets, we must do what is best for them. There are also 'no kill' shelters as well that could assist in providing care for the dogs.

Talking about it is helpful, but keep your chin up ITK... you got lots of friends here willing to help and support ya!!!

sattie

I knew I could count on you! Seeing your little dog every day brings a smile from me. I am really a softie when it comes to dogs. I try to buy cards with dogs on them for birthdays, holidays, get well, sympathy is out but all others are dogs. And you know what? People return the same to me which proves they do notice and read my cards. Of course, people like to be remembered.

Just keep my niece in your thoughts and prayers. She herself is such a God fearing person. Hurts so bad when someone is so good. Thanks for your thoughts, I needed that. Take care of your little one.

Oh no. :ohmy: As difficult as it would be finding foster homes for young dogs or puppies, this is heartwrenching. I'm not brave enough to adopt or foster the older or handicapped dogs and I admire her so much.

It makes me feel very bad that I can't do it. Mr HB and I have discussed it and came to the conclusion that it would be impossible for me.

Keep us posted.

If his salary is supporting fifteen dogs, he will have to keep it. Part of fostering pets is finding homes for them. Many people will welcome an older pet. Puppies demand much care and people welcome an older one which has some training and needs are less urgent care.

The world is not going to fall apart if your niece moves. She is hooked into everyone else's needs and her own relationship/marriage is being compromised.

She needs to get out from under all these things and start managing her own life which looks to be neglected.

Right

Stir Blue I wondered that myself if she should take care of other things too, in the way of her family. I love dogs too but that would be too big a responsibility for me. She often takes dogs to Petsmart on weekends to see if the dogs will be adopted. Whenever I go there on weekends, I walk way around where they are as I start thinking if I could just have another one. With dogs you don't have to wait 9 months they are your immediately. I only wish she would have luck in having them adopted soon.

In the Kitchen said:
Stir Blue I wondered that myself if she should take care of other things too, in the way of her family. I love dogs too but that would be too big a responsibility for me. She often takes dogs to Petsmart on weekends to see if the dogs will be adopted. Whenever I go there on weekends, I walk way around where they are as I start thinking if I could just have another one. With dogs you don't have to wait 9 months they are your immediately. I only wish she would have luck in having them adopted soon.

I work with an organization who cares for abandoned pets. The best help in placing a pet is the classifieds in your local newspaper. Next is the bulletin board at the vet. And many people are also going on the Internet looking for pets in their area.

Never put in an ad "free to a good home" or "needs a yard" or "good with children". These are complete turn offs. People are looking for a pet not an environment. An example of a good pet ad:

Free: Spot is a male 15lb terrier mix. He is brownish with terrier markings. Spot is nine years old and is potty trained. Contact 555-5555.

Free: Spottie is a female 75lb lab mix. She is black and is 27" tall. Spottie is seven years old and current on her shots. Contact 555-5555.

The people who respond to ads are generally good decent people. People start responding to these ads about 4-5 days after they are posted. Run the ad for about two weeks.

Last edited:
In the Kitchen said:
I knew I could count on you! Seeing your little dog every day brings a smile from me. I am really a softie when it comes to dogs. I try to buy cards with dogs on them for birthdays, holidays, get well, sympathy is out but all others are dogs. And you know what? People return the same to me which proves they do notice and read my cards. Of course, people like to be remembered.

Just keep my niece in your thoughts and prayers. She herself is such a God fearing person. Hurts so bad when someone is so good. Thanks for your thoughts, I needed that. Take care of your little one.

You are very welcome, and I will pray for her!! Please keep us posted, it does sound like a very large responsibility, one that is very hard to give up if you have done it as long as she has. I will add that there is some great advice given by others in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom