"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Do dogs in purses bother you?
Yes! Those doggies need to stay at home! 45 77.59%
No. I think it's super cute and adorable. 11 18.97%
I carry a dog in my purse. 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen

Dogs in purses: does it annoy you too?

I have a problem with women who find it necessary to bring their dog along on their shopping extravaganzas. Just this week I have encountered 9 of the pampered pooches riding along in handbags.

I have come to a few of my own conclusions:

1. The dog is not potty trained and the owner doesn't want to take the time to train it properly.
2. The owner is looking for attention.
3. The owner believes she will be mistaken for a celebrity.
4. The owner is too old to carry a Barbie doll, so who else would wear a rhinestone tiara with a pink furry coat but the little dog?
5. The owner believes that those signs on the doors of stores saying "no dogs, with exception to seeing-eye dogs" really doesn't apply to them.

I was even shopping at a Brighton store and a woman had a rabbit in her purse. What? Was the pet store out of little dogs?

I was at Nordstrom's cafe, and a teenaged girl had a dog in her bag. I asked her if she could please take her dog outdoors, as it was a health code violation. She snapped at me, said a few choice four letter words, and closed her eyes. (if I can't see you, you're not there)
The manager then threw her out, along with the little dog. (thank goodness!)

Why oh why are people doing this?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
It's the big dogs that people think they can walk around HOME DEPOT
and other stores that bother me. I like dogs... I just don't like having to get out
of their way.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

In a word.......YES! However I don't see a lot of that here. On a recent flight from Huntington W. Va. to Atlanta there was a person with a dog in a bag...On the plane!!!
How did that get by??? The flight attendant freaked, but stayed cool. At 10,000 feet and climbing whatch gonna do!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

Please - I'm a dog lover (have 3 large & 1 small "hounds from ****"), but can't even get used to people bringing their dogs into PetCo &/or PetSmart where they're allowed. I mean really - why the heck would you want to bring your dog into a place where you have no idea whether or not other dogs have been vaccinated, have fleas, are sick, yadayadayada. Not to mention all the kids going "can I pet your dog". My dogs have absolutely no desire for that sort of brouhaha.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

My dogs would eat my purse!! LOL
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't have a purse!

Oh, I don't have a dog either.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
I was at Nordstrom's cafe, and a teenaged girl had a dog in her bag. I asked her if she could please take her dog outdoors, as it was a health code violation. She snapped at me, said a few choice four letter words, and closed her eyes. (if I can't see you, you're not there)
The manager then threw her out, along with the little dog. (thank goodness!)
I strongly suspect that had her name been Paris or Brittney you would have been the one tossed!

I've never seen anyone around here carry a dog in a purse, but most of the people around here have hunting dogs or pit bulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Please - I'm a dog lover (have 3 large & 1 small "hounds from ****"), but can't even get used to people bringing their dogs into PetCo &/or PetSmart where they're allowed. I mean really - why the heck would you want to bring your dog into a place where you have no idea whether or not other dogs have been vaccinated, have fleas, are sick, yadayadayada. Not to mention all the kids going "can I pet your dog". My dogs have absolutely no desire for that sort of brouhaha.
We have brought our dog into PetSmart, but mostly because that is where his obedience training was held. Dogs do have to be vaccinated to be in the classes there. There are other services there, including grooming and a vet. The vet in the store kind of bothers me because, unless there is a way to bring them in through the back, that means sick dogs are going through. I have noticed though that if a dog has an "accident," an employee is right there cleaning it up and disinfecting the area. So all in all, as far as the dogs go, I don't think it is much different than bringing your dog to a park where other dogs are playing. People can be another matter, but in all the times I have been in PetSmart I have never seen a problem occur. I'm not saying that hasn't happened, but I have never seen it.

That said, our dog loves to go for rides in the car with us, but we would never think of bringing him into any store other than PetSmart.

Barbara
Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
My dog did eat my purse! Okay, he didn't have time to eat it (I think he would have though), but he did chew through the straps. Luckily he is over the big chewing stage. He still likes to chew, but he mostly sticks to his chew toys and two-liter bottles.

Barbara
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Executive Chef

If you go to Germany dogs are allowed every where, even the trains the stores and restaurants. I like it as as long as dog is well behaved why should it matter? Even in New Mexico in the smaller towns dogs are getting in the restaurants and bars. So what? Dogs are great and should be every place we are as long as they behave. I have traveled alot and there are many places that are pet friendly especially hotels and motels. I bring my dog when I travel and I feel so much safer when she is with me she warns me if someone is by my door but if I tell her to shut up and that its OK, she shuts up.
I would love to have a tiny dog that you can bring on board a plane and not in a crate in cargo freezing etc.As far as Im concerned dogs are better than most people.
So thats my story and Im sticking to it.