Dogs in restaurants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allow Dogs in Restaurants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think the intent of the poll was to be scientific, but to get a pulse on how we all felt. It fulfilled that. Working dogs are necessary for some people to have a productive life and I certainly don't have a problem with that. I do wish some children were trained as well as the dogs. Nothing ruins my meal like a group of kids (or whoever) that are so noisy I can't even talk or hear the people at my own table. That isn't just rude, it shows their stupidity.

Even the dog I would never take into a restaurant behaved better than some of my relatives' and friends' kids. And, after working for a vet for awhile, I now know that there is very little disease that can be passed from canine to human. You're much more likely to get sick from kissing your kid or spouse than frome eating in the room with a dog. But a dog that sits under the table and takes a nap (the dog I have now) I don't have a problem with. Any creature -- animal, child, and many adults, who yell, are abusive the the wait staff, insist that the food isn't "right" when it is perfectly good, just not what they are used to at "home" ... well, give me a well-behaved dog!

Dogs in restaurant poll

Funny I should see this...the place I work at is called the "Stray Dog Bar And Grill". It is basically built around the concept of the owner's friend's dog. We have pictures of customers dogs all over the place...and the merchandise we have has has the logo of the dog on it, with the catchphrase "Sit, Stay!".

I live and work in a tourist town...I don't know how many people in the 4 years I have been there have been angry because they cannot bring their dogs in, tie their dogs up outside, or don't realize that we don't have a "doggie day care" for them. Pretty bizarre!!!

We have health department codes that we have to follow by the book, just to stay in business.

Crazy world, huh???

No. Someone could show up with an untamed dog who jumps on people or even just barks during other's meals. Plus there's the little factor of DOG HAIR IN THE FOOD. I wouldn't go into a resturaunt if I saw people with dogs in it.

I agree with bananabrain. The occaisional human hair grosses me out enough. Let's not invite the walking hairballs in. I don't have a problem with dogs, just thier stray hairs. i am personally a cat lover but the last thing I would want at the next table is a feline friend.

I voted yes...unpopular eh?, but with another proviso, and for a reason.

The reason first - if dogs are allowed by law into restaurants the owner/management can choose whether this will apply to them or not, enforcing a ban, total or partial (of course excluding animal assistants) as suits them.

the proviso...graded licencing...for the dog owners not the establishments...although maybe thats a thought too...! I am really pro licences, which we do not have in the UK, but which I think should be given before you can pet own and be subject to completeting a short test of an animal awareness. ie not expect owners to be vets, but to have some awareness of animal's health and also of antisocial behaviours. If you have grades of these tests, say basic, aadvanced and super advanced, then establishments could let people in whose dog is owned by someone who has trained it to lie on the floor and leave people in peace.

I love eating in continental restaurants with dogs, it adds a relaxed feeling to the meal, I have no objection to it at all. I really think the answer is to allow the establishments to do what suits them and there clientele, not rule absolutely either way.

I can't say... there are many children who are much more of a terror than well behaving dogs, also I had enough occasions at my previous jobs with "grown up" customers while I wished I were dealing with a nice dog instead!!:ermm:

LuLu nice post, I agree with your ideas compleatly.

We have lots of doggie daycares here, they are fun. There is one just three houses from me, and you can always see the doggies playing together. It is very cute.

http://www.cookingforums.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're blind, yes, bring your pet. they'd be welcome in my restaurants, & provided with treats, etcetra. may provide a special room for them.
otherwise, it's ridiculous & rather absurd. what's next? mice, domestic felines, goldfish, lions, panda bears, & starfish dining amongst patrons? (i'm a 'Mom' to my felines & love them dearly, yet as a culinary student quite certified in food-safety, i'm rather well-versed 'bout infectious germs & carriers of such.)
if animals are that important to a person that they cannot go to dinner without fluffy (if they don'thave a serious medical diagnosis), maybe a thorough psychiatric consultation is in order.
my opinion.

Last edited:
Dogs are one of the few animals that are well trained, not to mention, many of which are well groomed.

Many dogs are better groomed and behaved then some people. I would rather dine among them any day, then to dine in the same restaurant with some grubby person.

Last edited:
liketobake said:
Many dogs are better groomed and behaved then some people.
But many are not. Many carry flees and other nasty bugs. Many shed hair all over the place no matter how well groomed they are. Many bark when they should not. Most sniff at people in places not appropriate for a public restaurant.

These are not the things I want around me when I am eating food.

GB said:
But many are not. Many carry flees and other nasty bugs. Many shed hair all over the place no matter how well groomed they are. Many bark when they should not. Most sniff at people in places not appropriate for a public restaurant.

These are not the things I want around me when I am eating food.

Many people are also carry around that stuff. For example beards that are not trimmed and are full of crap, that is sick. Or people who smell foul.
I would say there are just as many of those as there are dogs that are that way.

People do not shed. People do not have fur that gets into everything around it. Yes a hair or two might drop out of their head, but that is nothing conpared to the amount of fur that dogs can shed. People do not bark. People do not lay on the ground in a restaurant potentially being a tripping hazard. People do not sniff each other in innapropriate places (well most of us anyway :))

People are people. Dogs are pets. Dogs should not get the same treatment that humans do. Humans and dogs are not equals.

GB said:
People do not shed. People do not have fur that gets into everything around it. Yes a hair or two might drop out of their head, but that is nothing conpared to the amount of fur that dogs can shed. People do not bark. People do not lay on the ground in a restaurant potentially being a tripping hazard. People do not sniff each other in innapropriate places (well most of us anyway :))

People are people. Dogs are pets. Dogs should not get the same treatment that humans do. Humans and dogs are not equals.

People do shed. I have pulled out countless hairs out of food I have purchased over the years. Most recenly a container of dip yesterday.

Some people do bark (sure it is not the woof that dogs do but a person's bark can be way worse then a dogs).

I have seen kids lying on the floor both in food stores and restaurants, they are tripping hazards.

No dogs and humans are not equal, I will agree with that. However they should be treated as equals.

um, liktobake, if you are pulling non-foods you mentioned from your meal, why would you contionue to dine amongst this filth, & secondly, why not return that meal, ask for a refund & leave?
if people who provide your meals aren't properly groomed & in hairnets/ties/haircaps/etc., then maybe you oughta reconsider dining in these establishments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom