"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Allow Dogs in Restaurants?
NO 33 56.90%
YES 9 15.52%
Yes, but only in outside places 16 27.59%
Yes, but only with muzzle on 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #41
Executive Chef

I see that some dogs behave better than some children, but I also avoid the restaurants that cater mostly to children and would have no problem doing the same if it came to dogs coming inside (with the exception of guide dogs). But there are places I don't eat because of the type of crowd they attract and I would think that is true for most of us. We all have reasons why we won't eat one place or another. I would be surprised if a law is EVER passed in Florida to allow dogs inside at all restaurants. I think it would take too much of the business away. And add to much to the liability of the restraunteur.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

i answered no. as much as i love animals, i don't think it's ok to bring them to restaurants.
would it then be ok to bring my cats and birds? i'm sure other patrons would love a little cat hair in their food, and listen to my grey louie cuss them out as he flaps his feather dust all over the place.
actually, that might be pretty funny. i could get louie to insult very slow people at the salad bar line...

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #43
Master Chef

As much as I love dogs, in case you didn't know that already, LOL.
I don't think it's the best idea, except, for the helpers.
Yes, there are very well mannered and groomed dogs out there, but, it's an open invitation for people that think, "My dog wouldn't bite" There are WAY too many out there, mine included. They are also unaware that it isn't proper to use the restroom there.
If you want to dine with your pet, take it to the park and have a picnic.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Unless the dog is a seeing-eye dog, I say no to pets in restaurants.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Personally I think it is compleatly inappropriate for kids to be screaming and misbehaving out in businesses. If kids are allowed to do this, why can't dogs sit in their owners arms saying nothing. They are not even walking on the floor, nor are they going to the bathroom. They are just beautiful animals that make countless people smile when they see them. Even when larger dogs come into business they cause more happiness then unhappiness.
Also here where dogs are allowed in many places, only well groomed and behaved dogs tend to do shopping or to restaurants. People with dogs who are not looked after well don't seem to bring their dogs out shopping with them. Like dog like owner.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Dogs and food do not mix. End of story.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

I have owned dogs and wish I could have another.

However, I realize that many people, if not a majority, dislike dogs and consider them to be dirty and germ-ridden (not my feeling). These humans are paying restaurant customers. They go to a restaurant for a pleasant dining experience and expect to be free of both animals and screaming children.

While dogs (and other pets) are loved and respected by many, they don't belong everywhere their masters are allowed to go.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #48
Master Chef

Liketobake - I don't know where you live, but think you're missing the point.

While little "Fifi" might be wellbehaved lying in her owner's arms (at the table? Yuck - how disgusting!! At some point this owner will HAVE to put the dog on the floor so the owner can eat, nes pas?), it still remains that she's quite likely shedding hair, dander, & whatnot towards other patrons who might be allergic to dogs. And the fact that if little "Fifi" should feel a bit under the weather, there's nothing to stop her from puking, dumping, or peeing. Sorry guys, but it's true.

I'm not allergic to dogs, & I certainly don't condone unruly human children in restaurants, but I'm more than willing to put up with an unruly child before I'd put up with a dog in an indoor restaurant.

I fully commend the U.S. Health Department for condemning this sort of thing. I'm definitely an animal lover (7 horses, 4 dogs, 5 cats, 1 cockatoo), but would never dream of bringing any of them into a restaurant. Good grief - use some common sense!!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Breezy cooking, you make me laugh.I have seem people puke etc in restaurants nice ones even. If dogs did it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I am also a nurse and our hospital allows dogs...even big ones.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketobake
Personally I think it is compleatly inappropriate for kids to be screaming and misbehaving out in businesses. If kids are allowed to do this, why can't dogs sit in their owners arms saying nothing. They are not even walking on the floor, nor are they going to the bathroom. They are just beautiful animals that make countless people smile when they see them. Even when larger dogs come into business they cause more happiness then unhappiness.
Also here where dogs are allowed in many places, only well groomed and behaved dogs tend to do shopping or to restaurants. People with dogs who are not looked after well don't seem to bring their dogs out shopping with them. Like dog like owner.
Maybe where you live, but, here, there are just too many that will take their dogs out or let them run lose KNOWING that they bite, have mange{sp} etc.

And your like dog like owner, I won't even get into that one.