"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Allow Dogs in Restaurants?
NO 33 56.90%
YES 9 15.52%
Yes, but only in outside places 16 27.59%
Yes, but only with muzzle on 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #51
DC Grandma
He is sooo beautiful !! I'm sure glad that Paka and Dove aren't spoiled.......
Animals are so special..My son brought Dove to see me at the Rehab. Hospital when I broke my hip and boy was she a hit !! After I was able to drive again I took her back for a visit to some of the others and they were so glad to see her walk in with her head and tail held high.

May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #52
Executive Chef
Thank you Marge, so is Dove. Thank you for bringing her back to the rehab hospital. Dogs do alot to heal the body as well as the soul.

wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:17 AM   #53
Senior Cook
wasabi, you could not be more right. Dogs are like nurses themselves.

liketobake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:00 AM   #54
Head Chef
My nephew and niece are nastier, more unruly creatures than my dogs could *ever* be.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #55
Executive Chef
My sister's 2 children were terrors when they were little - so much so that I refused to eat out with them. They wiggled if they had to sit at all and most of the time were moving about the table and others nearby. She and her dh did nothing to stop it and I was so embarrassed that I haven't eaten out with them since. Even my mom (at mom's house) would say to me "Can't you do something about those kids? I told her "I don't know if you noticed or not but those are Sheila's kids" She wouldn't ask my sister, but seemed to think since I was the oldest child I could do something about it. Believe it or not, they have grown up to be very nice young people (a surprise to us all).
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #56
Senior Cook
a few points -

- i voted against dogs being in restaurants. my proviso is also the exception of seeing-eye dogs. i think the poll should be rephrased to include this option, because the results are skewed, some voting no like me except working dogs, and others voting yes meaning only working dogs.

dogs are great animals, and while i don't have the space to keep one here in japan, i grew up with many dogs. however, as an ex-chef, i'd say that any animal that licks its butt and laps up its own vomit has no place in a restaurant.
let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:19 AM   #57
Assistant Cook
Talking Yes, but...

I am an american living in Spain since 1999. I voted yes with a but.
I live in Barcelona, Spain and recently a lot of bars, restaurants and cofee shops are not allowing dogs in. But the reason is not cleanness, but safety. There has been a few incidents of dog bitting.
The first time I ate with dogs was in Paris and I was thrilled because I am a dog lover and enjoyed to seee them and play with them. But a few years later, still loving dogs, I have realized they can be a bother. They beg, the bark, some of them have a lot of hair and they leave some behind, some can be dangerous when shown food. Because of these reasons, I think they should be allowed outside.

As far as seeing eye dogs: I am partially blind and know a little about these dogs. There arenīt enough in Europe, but I think they are a different subject. They have been taught to sit and be aware of when their owner need their help. No one should touch them while "working" and much less, give them food. A lot of time and money is spent on each dog to teach them, some of them are even failed or retired because they do not have the right attitude. These dogs should be allowed anywhere, anytime and should be left alone to do their job, so please donīt touch them without asking first, and never ever give them food.
Cheers from Barcelona

Nadya Sued
roneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #58
Master Chef
It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about seeing eye dogs because federal law already requires them to be allowed in restaurants (and that's not likely to be changed). That was my point before. IMO it can't be an option in a poll because its a moot point.

My little dog would be fine in a restaurant, but the beagle would be a .
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #59
Master Chef
Like some, I think this isn't a complete survey. My eldest dog (who just passed away) should never have every been allowed in a restaurant. I would take her daugher, Keiki, to an outdoor restaurant. She is much calmer. I'll never forget when a woman approached me when she knew I was going to Quebec and told me that I'd love it, because I love animals more than children, and there they don't like children in restaurants. the implications was because I don't have children. Well, I don't have children, but I didn't bring my dogs, either. I realistically knew what my animals were capable of, and sitting nicely under a table while we ate in an unfamiliar place wasn't one of them.

What I'm getting right down to is that if you cannot control your animals, children, or for that matter, spouse --

feed them at home.

Maybe for some people, it should apply for yourself.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
lol claire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well said!

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote