"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Allow Dogs in Restaurants?
NO 33 56.90%
YES 9 15.52%
Yes, but only in outside places 16 27.59%
Yes, but only with muzzle on 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2006, 02:06 AM   #61
Executive Chef
I don't think the intent of the poll was to be scientific, but to get a pulse on how we all felt. It fulfilled that. Working dogs are necessary for some people to have a productive life and I certainly don't have a problem with that. I do wish some children were trained as well as the dogs. Nothing ruins my meal like a group of kids (or whoever) that are so noisy I can't even talk or hear the people at my own table. That isn't just rude, it shows their stupidity.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:24 AM   #62
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
AMEN to all that Executive Chef

At my age Happy Hour means a nap in the afternoon
goodgiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #63
Master Chef
..........what "BigDog" said !!
Walk with the person who's searching for truth........ run from the person who says they've found it !
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #64
Master Chef
Even the dog I would never take into a restaurant behaved better than some of my relatives' and friends' kids. And, after working for a vet for awhile, I now know that there is very little disease that can be passed from canine to human. You're much more likely to get sick from kissing your kid or spouse than frome eating in the room with a dog. But a dog that sits under the table and takes a nap (the dog I have now) I don't have a problem with. Any creature -- animal, child, and many adults, who yell, are abusive the the wait staff, insist that the food isn't "right" when it is perfectly good, just not what they are used to at "home" ... well, give me a well-behaved dog!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:49 AM   #65
Senior Cook
Well said Claire
liketobake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:37 AM   #66
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Dogs in restaurant poll

Funny I should see this...the place I work at is called the "Stray Dog Bar And Grill". It is basically built around the concept of the owner's friend's dog. We have pictures of customers dogs all over the place...and the merchandise we have has has the logo of the dog on it, with the catchphrase "Sit, Stay!".

I live and work in a tourist town...I don't know how many people in the 4 years I have been there have been angry because they cannot bring their dogs in, tie their dogs up outside, or don't realize that we don't have a "doggie day care" for them. Pretty bizarre!!!

We have health department codes that we have to follow by the book, just to stay in business.

Crazy world, huh???
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #67
Sous Chef
No. Someone could show up with an untamed dog who jumps on people or even just barks during other's meals. Plus there's the little factor of DOG HAIR IN THE FOOD. I wouldn't go into a resturaunt if I saw people with dogs in it.
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:51 AM   #68
Assistant Cook
No. But I don't think kids should be allowed either.

Just kidding. Well...
My food pictures gallery
Tartine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #69
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to erinmself
I agree with bananabrain. The occaisional human hair grosses me out enough. Let's not invite the walking hairballs in. I don't have a problem with dogs, just thier stray hairs. i am personally a cat lover but the last thing I would want at the next table is a feline friend.
" Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it" Psalm 127:1 God Bless You!!

erinmself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #70
Head Chef
I voted yes...unpopular eh?, but with another proviso, and for a reason.

The reason first - if dogs are allowed by law into restaurants the owner/management can choose whether this will apply to them or not, enforcing a ban, total or partial (of course excluding animal assistants) as suits them.

the proviso...graded licencing...for the dog owners not the establishments...although maybe thats a thought too...! I am really pro licences, which we do not have in the UK, but which I think should be given before you can pet own and be subject to completeting a short test of an animal awareness. ie not expect owners to be vets, but to have some awareness of animal's health and also of antisocial behaviours. If you have grades of these tests, say basic, aadvanced and super advanced, then establishments could let people in whose dog is owned by someone who has trained it to lie on the floor and leave people in peace.

I love eating in continental restaurants with dogs, it adds a relaxed feeling to the meal, I have no objection to it at all. I really think the answer is to allow the establishments to do what suits them and there clientele, not rule absolutely either way.

lulu is offline   Reply With Quote