"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Allow Dogs in Restaurants?
NO 33 56.90%
YES 9 15.52%
Yes, but only in outside places 16 27.59%
Yes, but only with muzzle on 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
Master Chef

Dogs in restaurants?

No, I am not talking about hot dogs; Iím talking about Dogs, animals. Donít take me wrong on this one I grew up with dogs, always had a dog in my house except last few years (after last dog I just canít bring my self to get new one, afraid to loose one again) I love dogs, I love all of them big or small, but restaurantÖ
I just donít understand it, why would I bring an animal to the restaurant; what if I have a pet crocodile is it okay to bring one with me for fine dining experience?

Here is a pole:

Do you agree with some cities (I do not have the list of where it is already allowed, I know it is everywhere in Europe, so we are to fallow soon) decision to allow dogs in the restaurant?

Old 06-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I love dogs... but, not in stores or restaurants.
Sorry... but they just get in the way.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
Master Chef

P.S. Personaly i strongly disagree.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I certainly don't like dogs where I am eating. I remember that in France they bring them right in. I didn't choose to sit where they were. I know many people love their dogs as much as children, but I don't want them where I'm eating. My dd has a wonderful miniature doberman/pinscher. He is very well mannered, but they don't let him eat with them. Hie is quite content with his own food and only occasionally a taste of "people food".
Old 06-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I voted no, but the one instance I can think of to overlook is a "working dog" meaning those that assist people (i.e. the blind, etc.). Every one I have encountered is exceptionally well trained and responsive to instruction.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I voted 'Yes' but with a proviso (or an exception). The exception being seeing eye dogs. They do a great job in allowing their sightless 2-legged friends to have more freedom that they would not normally have. They are on the job almost 24/7, and trained right will stay out of the way and under a table so as not to trip up any other guests or the wait staff. Other than the type of dogs who are more of a help (such as seeing eye, or the other various helper dogs that are trained to help their owners) I would have to say "No' to the pet dog.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I have no problem at all with the "working" dogs. They are there for a good reason. It's the pet dogs that I have a problem with.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

I voted yes, but in outside areas only. It doesn't bother me to see a well-behaved dog lying next to someones seat at a sidewalk cafe or bistro. I also believe that seeing-eye & other disability-type dogs should be allowed everywhere & that people shouldn't get their noses out of joint when they may occasionally come across these animals in eateries. The disabled go through enough without someone telling them they can't eat in a restaurant because of what is, essentially, an extension of themselves.

And CharlieD, I really & truly doubt you have ANYTHING to worry about. Just because most of Europe have allowed pets in eateries (& not all automatically do) for the last century doesn't automatically mean it's going to happen over here.

The U.S. Health Department has had quite stringent rules in place about pets in both restaurants & supermarkets for many many years, & there would be no economic reason to change them. Think of the uproar. I think you're getting worked up over nothing.

I'm surprised that you state that there's already a list of U.S. cities where it's currently allowed to bring animals into restaurants, because this is clearly a violation of current U.S. health codes. Can you locate this list?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Master Chef

Seeing eye dogs and other "service animals" are already allowed in restaurants. It's a federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act). This also applies to all kinds of other things, like airplane travel. The issue has currently become whether "Fluffy" is really a service animal or just your housepet. Airlines are starting to have real issues with this.

I don't think other dogs should be allowed in restaurants. I remember some weird happenings with dogs in France.

I do think they should be allowed to congregate outside of enclosed outdor seating areas, where they are not underfoot, but are still allowed to be with their owners and partake of some tidbits. I used to do this all the time with my dogs. Lots of restaurants here have special "happy hours" for dogs to entice owners to come and spend $$.

That said, my favorite restaurant in NYC had a local who sat at the bar a lot who brought her fluffy white dog in. The dog was extremely well beahved and always got a special meal gratis from the owners. I thought that dog was cool.

Edited to add that Florida has a new law that allows dogs in restaurants. But I think that it's up to the restaurant to decide whether to allow them in.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I voted no, but the one instance I can think of to overlook is a "working dog" meaning those that assist people (i.e. the blind, etc.). Every one I have encountered is exceptionally well trained and responsive to instruction.
Well, that's complitelly doferent story and of course those dogs are welcome.