Dogs in restaurants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allow Dogs in Restaurants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
No, I am not talking about hot dogs; I’m talking about Dogs, animals. Don’t take me wrong on this one I grew up with dogs, always had a dog in my house except last few years (after last dog I just can’t bring my self to get new one, afraid to loose one again) I love dogs, I love all of them big or small, but restaurant…
I just don’t understand it, why would I bring an animal to the restaurant; what if I have a pet crocodile is it okay to bring one with me for fine dining experience?

Here is a pole:

Do you agree with some cities (I do not have the list of where it is already allowed, I know it is everywhere in Europe, so we are to fallow soon) decision to allow dogs in the restaurant?

I love dogs... but, not in stores or restaurants.
Sorry... but they just get in the way.

I certainly don't like dogs where I am eating. I remember that in France they bring them right in. I didn't choose to sit where they were. I know many people love their dogs as much as children, but I don't want them where I'm eating. My dd has a wonderful miniature doberman/pinscher. He is very well mannered, but they don't let him eat with them. Hie is quite content with his own food and only occasionally a taste of "people food".

I voted no, but the one instance I can think of to overlook is a "working dog" meaning those that assist people (i.e. the blind, etc.). Every one I have encountered is exceptionally well trained and responsive to instruction.

I voted 'Yes' but with a proviso (or an exception). The exception being seeing eye dogs. They do a great job in allowing their sightless 2-legged friends to have more freedom that they would not normally have. They are on the job almost 24/7, and trained right will stay out of the way and under a table so as not to trip up any other guests or the wait staff. Other than the type of dogs who are more of a help (such as seeing eye, or the other various helper dogs that are trained to help their owners) I would have to say "No' to the pet dog.

I have no problem at all with the "working" dogs. They are there for a good reason. It's the pet dogs that I have a problem with.

I voted yes, but in outside areas only. It doesn't bother me to see a well-behaved dog lying next to someones seat at a sidewalk cafe or bistro. I also believe that seeing-eye & other disability-type dogs should be allowed everywhere & that people shouldn't get their noses out of joint when they may occasionally come across these animals in eateries. The disabled go through enough without someone telling them they can't eat in a restaurant because of what is, essentially, an extension of themselves.

And CharlieD, I really & truly doubt you have ANYTHING to worry about. Just because most of Europe have allowed pets in eateries (& not all automatically do) for the last century doesn't automatically mean it's going to happen over here.

The U.S. Health Department has had quite stringent rules in place about pets in both restaurants & supermarkets for many many years, & there would be no economic reason to change them. Think of the uproar. I think you're getting worked up over nothing.

I'm surprised that you state that there's already a list of U.S. cities where it's currently allowed to bring animals into restaurants, because this is clearly a violation of current U.S. health codes. Can you locate this list?

Seeing eye dogs and other "service animals" are already allowed in restaurants. It's a federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act). This also applies to all kinds of other things, like airplane travel. The issue has currently become whether "Fluffy" is really a service animal or just your housepet. Airlines are starting to have real issues with this.

I don't think other dogs should be allowed in restaurants. I remember some weird happenings with dogs in France.

I do think they should be allowed to congregate outside of enclosed outdor seating areas, where they are not underfoot, but are still allowed to be with their owners and partake of some tidbits. I used to do this all the time with my dogs. Lots of restaurants here have special "happy hours" for dogs to entice owners to come and spend $$.

That said, my favorite restaurant in NYC had a local who sat at the bar a lot who brought her fluffy white dog in. The dog was extremely well beahved and always got a special meal gratis from the owners. I thought that dog was cool.

Edited to add that Florida has a new law that allows dogs in restaurants. But I think that it's up to the restaurant to decide whether to allow them in.

Last edited:
BigDog said:
I voted no, but the one instance I can think of to overlook is a "working dog" meaning those that assist people (i.e. the blind, etc.). Every one I have encountered is exceptionally well trained and responsive to instruction.

Well, that's complitelly doferent story and of course those dogs are welcome.

I did not bring the "working dogs" issue because it is well excepted fact and in fact it is the law and that is why I did thought there was no reason to even bring it this in. Lets leave them out from now on, because we all know about them

When I lived in Germany, dogs could come into restraunts with their owners but I never really saw many people do it. I don't think dogs should be allowed in restraunts because not every owner has a fully trained dog that will sit there and leave everyone else and their food alone.

NO dogs in restaurants - unless they meet the dress code (sports jacket and tie), speak fluent French and can carry out a doggie bag in a verticle position.

Last edited:
mish said:
NO dogs in restaurants - unless they meet the dress code - sports jacket and tie, and speak fluent French.

I like this idea, exept French, it's time to make English an official lenguage. :)

Wow Jenny. Thanks for that heads-up. As far as I've read & been led to believe, it's illegal to allow animals - except for service animals - into indoor eating establishments or supermarkets. If that's really true about certain indoor restaurants in Florida, I really do wonder how they're getting around the health department & inspection aspects of the food industry. Since it's Florida, which has a nearly year-round summer, are you sure it's not just restaurants with outdoor dining that are allowing this?

Most restaurants have a no shirt no shoes no service rul so I think the dogs need to follow this as well :LOL:

Seriously though I do not think they should be allowed inside. What about people who are afraid of dogs? Why should they have to have their meal ruined because someone with a dog comes in?

I also no not think it is the cleanest practice ever.

Now outside, I have no problem with that and if I had a dog I would want to go to places where he and I could eat outside together.

BreezyCooking said:
Wow Jenny. Thanks for that heads-up. Since it's Florida, which has a nearly year-round summer, are you sure it's not just restaurants with outdoor dining that are allowing this?

No, I am not sure. I just heard about it a week or so ago on tv or something.

I will try and find some resource ....

OK, according to this article, dogs in FL are allowed on patios only and then only if the city/county allows it as does the restaurant. FL, like most (all?) other states, had previously had a law that banned dogs in restaurants, inlcuding outdoor seating areas.

Last edited:
GB said:
... What about people who are afraid of dogs? ....

I completely forgot about this, duh, my doughter, one of my doughters is completely goes crazy when she seas any dog, even tiny one, she is so afraid.

I remembered another situation where dogs, well, a dog, is allowed into a restaurant . . . . . .

ME! :LOL:

So far nobody's thrown this Big Dog out, though I think I've had a few Chinese buffets have the thought cross their mind . . . . . :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom