D'oh! I should have known better.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Most of us occasionally have mishaps that we cause ourselves or could easily have prevented.

I thought it might be fun to have a place to post them.

I'll start.

Yesterday I wanted half of a frozen pellet of stock. I tried to cut it in half with my chef's knife. :ermm:

Just before it slammed into my finger I heard myself think, "Idiot! You know better than that."

Gave me quite scare. Enough blood and pain that I took a close look to see if I was going to lose the end of my left index finger. Happily, no.

It's a real nuisance trying to touch type without the use of my index finger. At least it doesn't affect number entry - I use the numeric keypad for that.

DH is off doing a little bit of shopping, including supper from a deli and finger cots (they are like tiny condoms for fingers) from the pharmacy so it will be easier to wash my hands, etc.

I feel like such a nincompoop. I do believe I have learned my lesson. Bugger really hurt when we changed the dressing.

I'll start.

Yesterday I wanted half of a frozen pellet of stock. I tried to cut it in half with my chef's knife. :ermm:

Just before it slammed into my finger I heard myself think, "Idiot! You know better than that."

Gave me quite scare. Enough blood and pain that I took a close look to see if I was going to lose the end of my left index finger. Happily, no.

It's a real nuisance trying to touch type without the use of my index finger. At least it doesn't affect number entry - I use the numeric keypad for that.

DH is off doing a little bit of shopping, including supper from a deli and finger cots (they are like tiny condoms for fingers) from the pharmacy so it will be easier to wash my hands, etc.

I feel like such a nincompoop. I do believe I have learned my lesson. Bugger really hurt when we changed the dressing.

Ow!!!

My old Garland range has a few burners that take a second or two and then create a bit of a poof when they start up. One day, while working, I quickly turned one on one of the front burners, then reached down to open the oven to check a turkey, and burnt some of my bangs off.

My old Garland range has a few burners that take a second or two and then create a bit of a poof when they start up. One day, while working, I quickly turned one on one of the front burners, then reached down to open the oven to check a turkey, and burnt some of my bangs off.

Were your eyebrows and lashes okay?

I was cooking some rice in my dutch oven on the stove top. Thought I had the temp turned down enough. Got caught up doing other things and soon I'm smelling burning rice. I quickly set the pot off the burner directly onto the laminate counter top!:ohmy: That of course was not smart. Then when the counter next to stove started to burn I quickly set the pot on the counter by the sink.:doh: I've since covered both burn spots. The one next to the stove with a Corning counter saver in glass so I can set hot dishes on it and the one by the sink with a granite square. You'd think I'd know better than to set a hot pot on a laminate countertop! BTW, the rice was burned to the bottom of the pan so much that it took me 3 days of soaking and scrubbing to get it all off. That was definitely a day I should have stayed out of the kitchen!:LOL:

I once wanted to make bbq beans in a pan on low heat. I left it unattended and forgot about it. Maybe 4 hours later I smelled it from the basement and ran upstairs and it was.. well.. unrecognizable. It took alot of scrubbing on my stainless steel pan :(

I once wanted to make bbq beans in a pan on low heat. I left it unattended and forgot about it. Maybe 4 hours later I smelled it from the basement and ran upstairs and it was.. well.. unrecognizable. It took alot of scrubbing on my stainless steel pan :(

I did that once in a cheap pan, it was beef tamales...I gave up trying to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom