Dole Salads Recalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Site Helpers, please move this if you feel it should go into another forum. I thought this might be an important post, just in case people still have this in their fridge.

=======
Warning about some Dole salads
FDA reports 11 cases of illness in Minnesota linked to three types of pre-packaged greens.
October 3, 2005: 12:23 PM EDT
cl_dotted.gif

cl_dotted.gif

cl_dotted.gif

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Food and Drug Administration warned consumers to avoid eating certain pre-packaged salads made by Dole Food Co. because 11 people in the Minneapolis area were sickened by a serious food-borne illness linked to the products.

Two of the victims were hospitalized because of the E. coli 0157:H7 illness they may have contracted from the salads, the FDA said in a statement issued late Sunday night.

"Given the severity of this illness, FDA believes an urgent warning to consumers is needed," the agency said. The FDA is investigating the outbreak with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state officials.

The 11 illnesses are linked to consumption of Dole pre-packaged salads from a single grocery store chain, Rainbow Foods, in its Minnesota locations. However, the salad products with the same production codes were distributed nationwide, the FDA said.

The FDA said the affected products are labeled as follows:

+ Classic Romaine, with a "best-if-used-by" date of Sept. 23, 2005 and a production code beginning with "B250."

+ American Blend, with a "best-if-used-by" date of Sept. 23, 2005 and a production code beginning with "B250."

+ Greener Selection, with a "best-if-used-by" date of Sept. 22, 2005 and a production code beginning with "B250."

The FDA said that while it is unlikely that any grocery stores still have this product on their shelves, consumers may have it in their refrigerators. Consumers who have any of the three packaged salads listed should dispose of the product.

Dole said it was cooperating with the federal investigation, and recalled the products involved.

"Our overriding concern is for consumer safety. We are working with the US-FDA, the Minnesota Department of Health and the California Department of Health Services to determine the source of the contamination," Eric Schwartz, president of Dole Fresh Vegetables unit, said in a statement.

Symptoms of E. coli 0157:H7 include stomach cramps and bloody diarrhea. The infection can be deadly for young children, the elderly and people with impaired immune systems or chronic illnesses.

I wonder if perhaps someone who handled raw meats/poultry then put out these bags of salad. Then someone comes along and handles the bag then touches the greens.

You never know how things are handled in a grocery store. I buy so many frozen vegetables where you can tell without a doubt they have thawed and be refrozen. It really makes me mad! Same thing with any kind of ice cream on a stick or tubs of ice cream. You can tell!

Back
Top Bottom