"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Don't Buy One Of These

I bought one these portable heaters in December for my bedroom.Amazon.com: Dimplex CS33116A Compact Electric Stove: Home & Kitchen
Last night I turned it on ( heat setting), left the room for 10 minutes tops. When I came back in I smelled something electrical burning. Look what happened. Thank God it was plugged into a power strip and not the wall socket. It actually cracked the adapter melted a hole into the prongs of the heater. Too bad the warranty expired 90 days after it was purchased. So much for the good reviews on Amazon...

__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Thank goodness you caught it in time! That's too close a call. Thanks for the warning! I would make sure I let the company and Amazon know about it.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,094
That's really bad, Munky. Thank goodness you're safe! Yes, please let Amazon know about this, they will probably make it right.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Munky, did you check the ratings on your power strip? Perhaps it's not rated for the power the heater draws (1,500 watts = 12.5 amps). That's a hell of a lot to run through a power strip, and I'm not particularly surprised there was a problem. Perhaps the fault was your power strip and not your heater.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
I'm fine, well not really. It was cold this morning. Had to get up and dressed in the dark.. Just glad that I didn't take a nap like I'd normally do with the heater on.

Nobody would have been here to wake me up. Hubby on the other hand was none too pleased to get his fingers burned trying to get it unplugged. He was in no mood after that to discuss anything.

I probably will let Dimplex & Amazon know about this. It could have set my house on fire. I'll even send pics if need be. It's not about a replacement or money. I've read the warranty. It's about safety. Something is seriously wrong with the plug. That unit really put out the heat. Literally. As you all just saw.

Had this tune running in my mind all day.
" Liar, liar, pants on fire. Tryin' to set Munky's house on fire"!...

Last time I got mad ( Remember the Hilton Incident?)
Who got what after my email?

I'm just sayin'


Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm glad you only had a damaged power strip.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Munky, did you check the ratings on your power strip? Perhaps it's not rated for the power the heater draws (1,500 watts = 12.5 amps). That's a hell of a lot to run through a power strip, and I'm not particularly surprised there was a problem. Perhaps the fault was your power strip and not your heater.
It was a brand new strip. 330v Nothing else was or ever has been plugged into that strip or outlet. But that heater. We had smelled electrical with that unit before when it was plugged into the wall. We assumed it was because it was new. Never had a problem until last night.

If that unit isn't meant to be used with the added protection of a strip then I think the manufacturer should go out of their way to make sure that the consumers are well aware of that fact.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
What is your power strip rated for, either watts or amps? (Voltage is irrelevant.) Is it fused or does it have a circuit breaker? Perhaps you can post the manufacturer and model number.

Power strips don't necessarily add any protection at all. In fact most power strips I've seen add nothing but convenience. They're just a series of sockets connected to a cord, no fuses, no circuit breakers. Even surge protectors protect against nothing except voltage surges, evidently not your problem here. It is generally up to the consumer to not plug anything into a power strip that exceeds its rating. Ratings are usually provided as warning notices on UL and CE rated electrical appliances.

Does your heater owner's manual say anything about how to connect it? Any warnings against extension cords? If not then I'll be surprised.

You should seek a notice on the strip or its cord that says not to exceed X watts or X amps. What you described is exactly what I would expect if the strip's power rating was exceeded.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Not sure if it's a circuit breaker. It's rated for 15amps.1875 watts. It is a surge protector. It's manufactured by Power Sentry. The exact specifications it gives are "15A 125V AC 60HZ 1875W"

The heaters manual says to avoid using extension cords, but if you are to use one, use one rated for "16AWG minimum" and no less than 1875 watts.

I've had this unit plugged into a wall outlet a few times. Here in my dining room. When I went to unplug it from the wall the cord on it felt hot. I did mention that it didn't feel right. Something was seriously off with that cord. It's only 2 pronged. It can't take what that heater puts out. I got distracted with something and let it go. Slipped my mind.

Luckily I'm just out a heater and a silly strip. That for some reason too doesn't sound right.
You know what I mean.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,030
Any electrical heater should have a grounding prong along with a green grounding wire. And the fact that the cord was hot and you smelled electrical before when you had it plugged into a wall socket, is enough to report it to Amazon. Sounds like a product that needs a recall. Look up the manufacturer and see if they have a recall on it.

There was a report on our local news this week that electrical fires are fast becoming the #1 cause of house fires and fire related deaths.

BTW, hubby should have shut off the main electrical switch and waited for the cord to cool off. You also should have the wall socket checked for any internal damage. It is easy to do. Just take the plate off and see if there is any black soot around it or the wires. You might be wise to even go so far as replacing the socket. If the cord to the wall was hot, more than likely there is damage to the socket. It will cost less than $5.00 and a few minutes of hubby's time. But the peace of mind will be priceless.

How do I know all this crap? Before Son #1 grew up to be a contractor, I am the one that used to do all the wiring that needed to be done. I once put in an extravagant chandelier. And I used to work with my BIL when he was starting out in his own contracting business. I can even install a furnace, point brick, etc.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.