"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
The question was asked in the thread. And I think it was a good question because the term "hero," in my opinion, has been so overused as to be almost divested of its true and important meaning.

This woman defended herself. She was undoubtedly brave and very lucky.
I saw the question, but didn't understand why it needed to be asked, as the poster said it did. I don't recall seeing anything about her being called a hero.

BC

Old 09-17-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
I saw the question, but didn't understand why it needed to be asked, as the poster said it did. I don't recall seeing anything about her being called a hero.

BC
You're right about that. At least I didn't see the word used in the article. I would assume that the poster just brought it up as an interesting question to think about.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, a "slight" hitman, with a hammer no less. that's incredibly stupid, but criminals aren't known for their intelligence, until they go to prison. essentially, criminal school.

it's just as dumb as a skinny chick with a switchblade, imo. sorry luvs, but that's just plain stupid. you're asking to have it used against you, as well as being convicted of assault with a deadly weapon. depending on the size or style, it could be illegal just to carry it.
i know i shouldn't prolong this, but how many fights have you been in where a knife was pulled? this ain't hollywood.

i think the nurse can be considered a hero in an abstract sort of way. after the fact. yes she was just defending herself, but ended up taking out a (wimpy, chuckle) bad guy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:57 AM   #14
Head Chef

I agree with Bucky, luvs. Get rid of the weapon before you either get hurt or get arrested.
Also agree that the word "hero" is overused today. She was a lucky woman to have been able to save herself.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs
psychotic being he was.
sheesh, see why i carry a switchblade? i'm known for my kind nature, yet showed a few who was boss since friday for thier comments i care to avoid posting w/out me saying more than i said 'get out of my sight'. they slunk away rather quickly after i asserted that switchbladewas nearby.
Luvs; I agree. Lose the blade. But as for self-defence, basic training in marshal arts such as ju jitsu, Kuk Sool Won, or others that teach submission tactics, with throwing and striking techniques will show you how to easily defend yourself with a minimum of effort on your part.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:51 AM   #16
Master Chef

[quote=buckytom]
it's just as dumb as a skinny chick with a switchblade, imo. sorry luvs, but that's just plain stupid. you're asking to have it used against you, as well as being convicted of assault with a deadly weapon. depending on the size or style, it could be illegal just to carry it.
i know i shouldn't prolong this, but how many fights have you been in where a knife was pulled? this ain't hollywood.
quote]
we're allowed a switchblade via my location.