"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Don't Mess With This Woman

pretty interesting story here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14859827/?GT1=8506

Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I heard this on the news. Good for her!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
Head Chef

Its a shame she couldn't strangle the ex husband!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Master Chef

psychotic being he was.
sheesh, see why i carry a switchblade? i'm known for my kind nature, yet showed a few who was boss since friday for thier comments i care to avoid posting w/out me saying more than i said 'get out of my sight'. they slunk away rather quickly after i asserted that switchbladewas nearby.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Is the woman a hero?

The question deserves to be asked.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

I am happy that the woman was able to successfully defend herself. And I don't feel a bit sorry for the criminal. But I think a hero is someone who does something for the good of others, at some sacrifice to themselves, be it giving up a golf game to be at their children's softball game, or risking their lives to save someone else.

I believe the woman in this case is to be congratulated in defending herself, and for taking this vermin from society. If she continues on this path, and is able to remove her estranged husband from society, and not for revenge, but because he is slefish to the point of murder, then she will be a hero.

To be abe to save my own life makes me prepaired. To save another in spite of risk to myself would make me a hero. See what I mean?
That's my humble opinion.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I am happy that the woman was able to successfully defend herself. And I don't feel a bit sorry for the criminal. But I think a hero is someone who does something for the good of others, at some sacrifice to themselves, be it giving up a golf game to be at their children's softball game, or risking their lives to save someone else.

I believe the woman in this case is to be congratulated in defending herself, and for taking this vermin from society. If she continues on this path, and is able to remove her estranged husband from society, and not for revenge, but because he is slefish to the point of murder, then she will be a hero.

To be abe to save my own life makes me prepaired. To save another in spite of risk to myself would make me a hero. See what I mean?
That's my humble opinion.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I agree with you, as does the dictionary:

2. A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war

Old 09-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Did someone call her a hero? I must have missed something.

BC
Old 09-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I am not so sure about the term "hero", but I do not really see a good use for a hitman in society, so is it a loss? She may have saved several lives he would have taken in the future. His worth may be arguable, he is a human being, and hopefully, some day in his future he would have learned from his ill ways to change and be a better person. Desperation can turn a truly good person to survival mode... or he is really just a worthless being, which I cringe to deem any soul. May he rest in peace, and thank goodness it wasn't this woman, who, thank goodness,knew how to defend herself.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
Did someone call her a hero? I must have missed something.

BC
The question was asked in the thread. And I think it was a good question because the term "hero," in my opinion, has been so overused as to be almost divested of its true and important meaning.

This woman defended herself. She was undoubtedly brave and very lucky.