Don't need no stinkin' smart phone any more!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Samsung Gs4, but only because I'm on my daughter and SIL's family plan and they give me their 'old' phones when they get an upgrade. :) Daughter programs it for me for what I'm likely to use, and I'm happy to accept that. I've asked them before what my share of the family plan is and offered to pay for whatever that is and share the cost of any upgrades, but they tell me not to worry about it, so I don't. :)

I do love the quality of the pics and videos and how handy it is to use! I haven't even used my digital camera in a couple of years because my phone takes better quality pics and videos than my little Nikon digital, and is so much handier. Not to mention the few apps I use, such as weather reports and couponing. :)

Last edited:
I have one of those free cell phones that are paid for by the government. I can send and receive calls and I can text. I just don't know how to text yet. Maybe someday. Anyone who knows me, knows not to text me, because I don't know how to retrieve it either. And besides, I like the sound of a human voice. I get 250 minutes a month free. And for $5.00 I buy an additional 250 minutes. I very rarely use all my minutes each month.

Because of my heart condition, I do take my phone with me everywhere I go. Even to the bathroom. I keep it in my housecoat pocket. I got rid of the landline. And if I know I am going to be on the phone for a while, I use my computer to make a call. For one, it saves my minutes and it is free also. I call through my Skype account. Which is free also. I too can see no need for me to have all the extras that the latest and greatest has to offer. When The Pirate is here and his phone rings, he tells me to answer it as he is busy. I still haven't figure out to even answer the fool thing. :angel:

.....I too can see no need for me to have all the extras that the latest and greatest has to offer......

My wife's new smart phone.... she only uses it to make and receive calls, the other 95% of the features of her phone is practically useless for her. She has absolutely no use for data, she's never been a computer person.

Bakechef, I am with you. Although I work in IT and normally embrace technology, I resisted buying a smartphone for many years. I just didn't get it. Then my wife got an iPhone and once I saw the different things she was able to do with it, I was hooked. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and will be upgrading again here soon. Just a short list of all the things I use it for:

• Email
  • Photos
  • Taking notes in meetings
  • Maps & GPS
  • Comparing prices
  • Music
  • Watching Hulu and Plex (sending to Chromecast)
  • Clock and wake up alarm
  • Recipes
  • Remote control (my phone has an IR blaster)
  • Grocery lists
  • Audio books
  • Checking flight information
  • Flashlight
  • Browsing the web
  • Keeping up with football scores
  • Calendar
  • Storing contact information
  • Buying movie tickets
  • Texting (although not that often)
  • Set up reminders (to take pills, for example)
  • Stopwatch and cooking timers
The list goes on. The few times I have forgotten it at home, I've felt totally disconnected and lost.

All of the above. Plus
  • Reading newspapers every day
  • Bank of America,
  • OpenTable,
  • Uber,
  • Facebook,
  • buying train tickets,
  • Buying anything and everything on Amazon
  • Kindle
I couldn't live without my iPhone. I am waiting for my new 6 to arrive!:yum:

I find it amusing that we've come full circle on phones. Used to be that smaller was better, easily tucked into any purse or pocket. Now, with all the features available, we're back to big, honkin' phones!

I like both my iThings, especially my iPad, which has pretty much replaced my PC. Been thinking about going iPhone 6, but I like the size of my 5s.

Last edited:
The younger folks have no trouble with teeny devices. At our age we appreciate the larger buttons and icons. Many of the smart phones we use practically look like mini tablets these days... My wife is petite and her new phone is as big as her head.... :LOL:

Last edited:
Congrats! Which one did you order? My wife loves her big one as she had trouble using the smaller phones previous to this.

Just a regular 6. I carry a bag but often put my phone in a pants pocket and the 6+ or whatever it's called just seems a bit big. But I hear you about smaller phones being harder to use. I hated my Blackberry because of that.

The cameras on the new iPhones take stunning pictures!

my Samsung Galaxy 3 old phone, a year and a half old, died on me. I went back to iPhone the other day. Love it. I am not as advance as Steve, but I do like the phone, it really is convenient.

Steve, speaking of grocery, what's the name of that Grocery app you shared before?

my Samsung Galaxy 3 old phone, a year and a half old, died on me. I went back to iPhone the other day. Love it. I am not as advance as Steve, but I do like the phone, it really is convenient.

Steve, speaking of grocery, what's the name of that Grocery app you shared before?

OurGroceries is the app. We use it every day!

Now that I've been using my new flip phone for a few days I miss not being able to cancel an incoming call simply by swiping the screen like I used to do with my smart phones.
I can only do one of two things with my flip phone.....either let it ring without answering (which is annoying) or flip open the phone and close immediately to hang up on the call. The latter will cost me a call since I'm on pre-paid.
Other than that it'a a nice, rugged phone. I already dropped it a couple of times to test its ruggedness. I don't think I'll test its waterproof feature although they claim it can be immersed in 3ft of water for 30 minutes. That claim, I don't trust.

Last edited:
Funny thing is that hipsters are trending back to the old flip phones.
My family was poking fun with me just last night about how I started riding fixed gear bicycles on the street some 20 years ago (and still do) and how the hipsters caught on a few years later. Now they're making fun of me with my new flip phone and fixed gear bicycles.
I am not a hipster. :LOL:

Last edited:
Funny thing is that hipsters are trending back to the old flip phones.
My family was poking fun with me just last night about how I started riding fixed gear bicycles on the street some 20 years ago (and still do) and how the hipsters caught on a few years later. Now they're making fun of me with my new flip phone and fixed gear bicycles.
I am not a hipster. :LOL:

I'm not a hipster either. I think? Not really sure what a "hipster" is?
But I also ride a big tire old fashioned beach bike (except its not that old).
I listen to old rock and I am a liberal.
So, am I a hipster or just hip? :LOL:

Attachments

• Fixed-Gear-Hipster.jpg
    Fixed-Gear-Hipster.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 170
I have never been connected to the word 'hip' in any way. That could change in the future if it's used in conjunction with the word 'broken'.

Hipsters like to create an image outside the "norm", often shunning popular things. Once something becomes mainstream, they move on to the next thing. Vintage attire mixed with eclectic things and music that nobody has really heard of is a big part of the lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom