Door To Door Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
My door bell just rang. A young man was peddling boxes of frozen steaks, chicken and seafood.(three different boxes) The beef was guarenteed to be angus. He could not advise what grade of beef it was. Of course today he was running a special:rolleyes: $100.00 off any box...Yeah right..like Uncle Bob just fell off the back of a watermelon truck:LOL: I think his Van said Global Foods.

Any of you ever heard of this type of marketing?

I've never heard of "Global Foods", but I have heard of that type of marketing.

In fact, on Anthony Bourdain's tv show "No Reservations", when he visited Los Angeles, he went along on the route a friend of his had delivering meat door to door. However, everyone looked like they were already established customers. What you had visit you sounds pretty shady. I would think a legitimate business would have started out by just handing you a flyer or something &/or a free sample.

Well, yeah, but not for steaks. When I was a kid was brought up in NYC and a lot of items just fell off trucks, if you know what I mean. And folks would occasionally peddle them door to door, but rarely. Usually the stuff would be fenced to someone who would sell it to the trade in bulk.

Heck, it might even be a decent deal, but agree with you, would not touch it.

Many years ago when I was living in Marina Del Rey we always had people ring our doors selling fresh steaks and seafood. I never bought any but I must say that they really looked good.

One place I lived, a condominium community with no gates, we had people coming door-to-door selling everything from candy, cookies, and hand made tamales, to religion, including Latino Jehova's Witnesses looking for Spanish speaking people to convert. I finally had to put a sign on my door that said:

I DO NOT BUY ANYTHING SOLD DOOR-TO-DOOR

I AM PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH MY CURRENT RELIGION

Y YO NO HABLO ESPANOL!​

Been there, done that.
I don't think the company name was global but the prices sound about right. I told them I would never pay that for something I hadn't tried before and then suddenly they were able to break up the packages. I bought a small amount of what looked to be good and then after I defrosted it and cooked it was very disappointed.
I think you made the right decision Uncle Bob!

Like auntdot, I've seen that in the city(NYC). We used to have one of those freezers a company would keep stocked for us when I was a kid. What a waste it was....2 lbs of ground beef stuck on the bottom for 8 months. Just do what I did...(here comes the gloat)...befriend a butcher. Then you can get what you want for 1/2 or less of the sticker price....even free.

Here in Norfolk in the UK there are many very good butchers They rear their own 'meat' very often. There are also excellent allotment holders who sell their lovely vegs at very reasonable prices so we are fortunate.
The butcher is better value than the supermarket.
Because we usually buy for a couple of months at a time ( due to living in the sticks) the butcher always knocks a few £'s off the bill.
They are really friendly guys and we know them by their Christian names now after going there for the last 3 years or so.:)

Girl Scout cookies, maybe. Meat, probably not. You never know how old it is or how long it's been hanging around..

(But, then again... I've fallen off a turnip truck, but never a watermelon truck :LOL: )​

Last edited:
Unsolicited frozen meat door to door from a company you've never heard of? I'd have done the same as you. I'd be worried that it was meat that had been thawed and then refrozen.

Snoop Puss said:
Unsolicited frozen meat door to door from a company you've never heard of? I'd have done the same as you. I'd be worried that it was meat that had been thawed and then refrozen.

Yes, so would I.:ermm:

Well I played along with the young man just to see what he was offering.
He had a nice little pamphlet but would not leave one with me. Interesting.
Each of the three boxes seemed to be packed in a different location. One in Illinois..one in Missouri I think. Maybe one in the "Shake& Bake State" He explained that they trimmed the beef really well but "left the marbling" :ROFLMAO:

It was probably cast-a-ways from a dairy farm:ermm:

(Here we have watermelon trucks, turnip trucks, and sweet potato trucks among others:-p )

Last edited:
We have the Schwan's Food Service here. A very old and very reputable business. The driver's/contractors work on commission only. They have meat, seafood, chicken strips, frozen yogurt bars to name a few. Their products are really good. Yum, Yum, I've had a bunch of it.
There are shady people who watch these trucks and learn their routes. On occasion, they take the opportunity to steal cases of food (all their food is sold by the case) while the driver is busy making a delivery. Their next step is getting ahead of the driver on his route and selling the food to his customers.
I know who my Schwan contractor is. I would tell the bootlegging thief to wait at the door (as if I were going to get money) and call the police. Do that food service a favor (there could be $ off coupons in it for you!)

We have green bean trucks, pumpkin trucks, and corn trucks!

Last edited:
We have Schwan's here as well. The least that person could have done was left a brochure/pamphlet of their products if they were soliciting your business. I assume that guy was shady since he didnt want to leave you any info. :LOL:

Honestly, I have connections as well. All I have to do is talk to the vendors that come into the kitchen I work at. 'Nuff said. Ever seen real restaurant wholesale prices? $1.00/lb pork loins, all 36" of it. 8/12 count shrimp (about 2 oz for each shrimp, the biggest there is) for $10/ lb (I think, it's been awhile). 16 oz lobster tails for $7.00 / ea. Somebody comes to my door, and I laugh, and tell them I can buy a whole striploin for less than what it costs for one of their "boxes", and get more meat out of it to boot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom