"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Door To Door Meat

My door bell just rang. A young man was peddling boxes of frozen steaks, chicken and seafood.(three different boxes) The beef was guarenteed to be angus. He could not advise what grade of beef it was. Of course today he was running a special $100.00 off any box...Yeah right..like Uncle Bob just fell off the back of a watermelon truck I think his Van said Global Foods.

Any of you ever heard of this type of marketing?

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Master Chef
I've never heard of "Global Foods", but I have heard of that type of marketing.

In fact, on Anthony Bourdain's tv show "No Reservations", when he visited Los Angeles, he went along on the route a friend of his had delivering meat door to door. However, everyone looked like they were already established customers. What you had visit you sounds pretty shady. I would think a legitimate business would have started out by just handing you a flyer or something &/or a free sample.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Head Chef
Well, yeah, but not for steaks. When I was a kid was brought up in NYC and a lot of items just fell off trucks, if you know what I mean. And folks would occasionally peddle them door to door, but rarely. Usually the stuff would be fenced to someone who would sell it to the trade in bulk.

Heck, it might even be a decent deal, but agree with you, would not touch it.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Head Chef
Many years ago when I was living in Marina Del Rey we always had people ring our doors selling fresh steaks and seafood. I never bought any but I must say that they really looked good.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
One place I lived, a condominium community with no gates, we had people coming door-to-door selling everything from candy, cookies, and hand made tamales, to religion, including Latino Jehova's Witnesses looking for Spanish speaking people to convert. I finally had to put a sign on my door that said:

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Sous Chef
Been there, done that.
I don't think the company name was global but the prices sound about right. I told them I would never pay that for something I hadn't tried before and then suddenly they were able to break up the packages. I bought a small amount of what looked to be good and then after I defrosted it and cooked it was very disappointed.
I think you made the right decision Uncle Bob!
Fresh Cooking From Your Garden
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Like auntdot, I've seen that in the city(NYC). We used to have one of those freezers a company would keep stocked for us when I was a kid. What a waste it was....2 lbs of ground beef stuck on the bottom for 8 months. Just do what I did...(here comes the gloat)...befriend a butcher. Then you can get what you want for 1/2 or less of the sticker price....even free.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Sous Chef
Here in Norfolk in the UK there are many very good butchers They rear their own 'meat' very often. There are also excellent allotment holders who sell their lovely vegs at very reasonable prices so we are fortunate.
The butcher is better value than the supermarket.
Because we usually buy for a couple of months at a time ( due to living in the sticks) the butcher always knocks a few 's off the bill.
They are really friendly guys and we know them by their Christian names now after going there for the last 3 years or so.
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Girl Scout cookies, maybe. Meat, probably not. You never know how old it is or how long it's been hanging around..

(But, then again... I've fallen off a turnip truck, but never a watermelon truck )
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
Head Chef
Unsolicited frozen meat door to door from a company you've never heard of? I'd have done the same as you. I'd be worried that it was meat that had been thawed and then refrozen.

Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote