"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #31
Master Chef

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
My naughty son Nick decided homework was a waste of time in 2nd grade since he always aced all his tests. His teacher thought otherwise and made him write a looonnng apology letter to me every single day he didn't turn in homework. Stuff like "I am heartily sorry for disappointing you again" and "I sincerely apologize for failing in my duties once again". It took half the school year but he finally started doing his homework. This same son was caught shooting spit wads on the bathroom ceiling. There was quite a mound up there. The principal had a method for curbing this. She made the offender make, glue down, and number 100 spit wads on paper and turn them in to her. She said by the time they made 100 spit wads, they were usually cured. Sadly, my Nick turned it into an art project and glued them all onto a large posterboard. He used full-color, illuminated numbers and decorated the entire board with flowers and glitter and attached a card that said "A Gift For You"!
LOL! Tomorrow's engineer!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:51 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
sensory deprivation chamber?

how about fran dresher?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #33
Master Chef

you're cruel.....I rather listen to nails scraping across a chalkboard than Fran's "melodic voice"
Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Barbara......I'm setting an alarm clock for you that will deliver a computer shock if you stay up too late :)......I've witnessed first hand how late you stay up online because your wee hours are my late afternoons..........and you need your sleep, GF........
LOL I sleep, but I just don't do it when everyone else does! Now that I am working (a whole 4.5 hours this week--lol) afternoons, it works out pretty well. I just sleep later than I used to. When I get a regular teaching job again, it will take some getting used to getting back on a regular sleep schedule! Not that I ever got to bed early. I do need to work on it though!

Barbara
Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 AM   #35
Master Chef

I understand......try a 12 hour time zone difference...... the jetlag is not fun.......and I see that you are online........:) Maybe you're on Kazakh time? Come for a visit!! We're dying for teachers over here........
Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I understand......try a 12 hour time zone difference...... the jetlag is not fun.......and I see that you are online........:) Maybe you're on Kazakh time? Come for a visit!! We're dying for teachers over here........
Do they have any CAD jobs for James? Don't be surprised if you find us on your doorstep!

Barbara
Old 04-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #37
Sous Chef

I think you should just shut them in with whoever's kid is being the biggest pain that day it would do the trick. Or you can force them to listen to the advice of their in-laws played over and over.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #38
Master Chef

Go ahead. Make the woodshed as diabolical as you want to. I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm sooooo lovable and cute. But I've never been called to the woodshed. Now some of my buddies around here... I won't mention any names.

If I were placed in an empty woodshed, I'd be studdying the insects that always inhbit such structures, or the thinkness, length, and suppleness of the switch. I could spend hours imagining shapes, or people's faces in the woodgrains. Or I could even be creating my next novel. I never get board. I create recipes in my head, or engineer different possibilities for making the perfect, biodegradable fishing lure, or how to make a boat more efficient and faster. I don't even need pencil and paper.

My parents were always perplexed about how to punish me. People with active minds are hard to bore. But if you have to punnish the unruly and creative types, nothing works mutch better than giving them some simplistic and repititous task that has little or no meaning. But even then, one can simply flip a switch in one's mind as it were, and find the benefits of the chore. Digging worthless holes, filling them in, and re-digging builds discipline, endurance, strength, and physical stamina. Whitewashing a fence builds hand/eye coordination and flexibility. Any physical labor can be used to better oneself.

Just how do you punish someone when they insist on looking at the positive aspects of anything that is done to them. Make me sit still and completely quiet and I'll use the time to meditate, or relax myself. You can't win.

Make me listen to music that I don't care for, and I'll start analyzing the note structures, or the lyrical content, or the effectiveness of the subject. I can find something positive about virtually everything.

Now what am I going to launch next from the trebutchet at B's Girl's house? Hmmmmm. I think maybe that 3-day old pot of boiled dinner that got left out on the counter could be put into a propper baloon and down her chimney.

Ahahahahaha.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Gross! I am so glad I don't have a chimney!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:02 AM   #40
Master Chef

Oh, it was so easy to punish my daughter when she was in middle school. Told her the night before to have all of her band stuff ready for a band concert.......long trip and not much time.......I was greeted with hurried and annoyed "I will.......I will.....I will......'s etc., etc., " Sure enough the next afternoon she is running around the house like a chicken without a head finding this and that and me screaming at her to hurry up.......she had done ZIP as far as having everything ready---when she fumbled thru the laundry I had to restrain myself from just letting her have it......then I thought of a more diabolical plan which calmed my nerves..........finally we get into the car and as usual she reaches to put on her favorite music.......oh, no........mon cherie......since you didn't do what I asked you to do and you reassured me that you'd be ready your punishment is to listen to MY music the whole way there and the whole way back......I then turned on my favorite soothing Enya DVD.......and she had no ipod or earplugs to drown out my music.......it was sheer torture for her........if you make me wait for your music then you're listening to mine......for once I was glad that it was a long trip....hahaha