"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-04-2009, 02:58 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Buddy has had a rough year and knows what he is talking about.

Oh Lord, please give me the courage
To change the things I can
To accept the things I cannot,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Thank you for that, and I like that prayer as well. Sometimes just the frustration over an issue is enough to drag a person down, keeping this prayer in mind helps you to let go when you need to let go for your own well being.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
You sound like you need a big hug! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{[hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I think you did yourself a big favor by admitting to yourself (and the world) that you need some help. I don't get to hang out here much, but this is one of the most supportive collection of people I've encountered. Does your hubby know how isolated you are feeling? You mentioned you work 11.5 hours/day ... what about coworkers? You are right to reach out ... hang in there!
a great big THANK YOU for the hug, you're right hugs always make me feel better. Yes my dh knows about how I feel. He goes to therapy with me and he is extremely supportive. Tonight was especially bad for me and he called from work to say that he could take tomorrow off to stay with me through the night. This is huge to me because he NEVER take work off. He also joined the church with me even though he is not religious. He's amazing.

Yes I work on average about 11.5 hours (or more) a day....but I am a nanny to one little girl, so nothing in the way of co-workers.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
Head Chef

Geez, snack, I'm sorry to hear about the tough time you are going through! You've received some really great advice from those who have posted so far.

My job is about at the other extreme of yours. I manage the local hardware store, and I am BOMBARDED with adult interaction all day long - customers, staff, my bosses, plus the incessant telephone ringing - I'm pretty sure that I know half of this city's population of 55, 000. I am exhausted at the end of the day and just want to be left alone.

I'm not complaining, since it's a blessing that the business is so good, especially in these economic times. Just thinking that you may want to consider a career change, if that's possible, snack. Working in a supermarket or Walmart or Home Depot or any other high-volume store and affords you PLENTY of interaction with adults, some more pleasant than others, LOL!

Keep us posted, okay?

Lee
Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Geez, snack, I'm sorry to hear about the tough time you are going through! You've received some really great advice from those who have posted so far.

My job is about at the other extreme of yours. I manage the local hardware store, and I am BOMBARDED with adult interaction all day long - customers, staff, my bosses, plus the incessant telephone ringing - I'm pretty sure that I know half of this city's population of 55, 000. I am exhausted at the end of the day and just want to be left alone.

I'm not complaining, since it's a blessing that the business is so good, especially in these economic times. Just thinking that you may want to consider a career change, if that's possible, snack. Working in a supermarket or Walmart or Home Depot or any other high-volume store and affords you PLENTY of interaction with adults, some more pleasant than others, LOL!

Keep us posted, okay?

Lee

This will likely be my next step Q. Although I love being a nanny and child development IS my major, I am just not as fulfilled as I used to be. I feel like a glorified maid most of the time. Before I was a nanny I was a data entry clerk for the city. I made more than I make now and I loved socializing with my coworkers after work and interacting with the community. I think eventually I'd like to get back into something like that.

One option was to run my own early education center. We'll see. I am feeling a tiny bit better today. I had to pull myself out of bed to get ready for church and now I still can't get myself out the door. Ugh.

Thanks again for all the encouragement. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Master Chef

You seriously need to go to the dr. What you are experiencing is depression and without treatment, can get worse. Yes, naturally you're going to get sad in your life when things happen, but, you are letting it build and you don't want that explosion, believe me, it's not pretty and it doesn't feel good at all. Please go and talk with someone.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks TGirl your right and I am in the process of finding a therapist here. I had one where I lived before, but haven't found one in our new town. I have a feeling that you're speaking from experience?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
hugs going out to you, Snack-Pak.

It's amazing to realize that almost everyone here has gone through some version of what you are experiencing right now. and yes, getting some professional help is a great idea. You may not need medication at all, just an objective ear to listen. I know how much that helped me.

Don't hesitate to come back here for support, either on the forums or through pm's.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
It's amazing to realize that almost everyone here has gone through some version of what you are experiencing right now.
I noticed that, too, ChefJune. Even though you are young and don't have children yet, you are experiencing the isolation that many young mothers also experience. With the added isolation of having hubby working away from home! It's very, very hard.

My husband's company closed and he had to begin working out of town when my youngest was only a year old. That went on for 5 years and I can tell you, I felt a lot like you do at times. Having a weekend husband is the pits!

Humans are social creatures for the most part, and it's bad for us to be too solitary. You are doing all the right things - going to church, talking to people here about how hard it is. But if things aren't beginning to improve, the suggestions here are great. A therapist could be very helpful. Changing jobs so that you would have more interaction with people could also make a huge difference. Keep us up on how it's going.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
awwww - and a little hug from me too

It's really tough when you feel so alone. Sounds like maybe even a different job will help. 200 miles is quite a ways so I don't blame you if you take that move a bit closer. Wish I'd known you were there in July? We loved Paso Robles AND their wine!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Yes we were here in July k.e. Paso robles is beautiful. we love the area and if we could find better jobs and some friends it would honestly be the perfect place for us.