Downton Abbey - Why do Americans like it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
I am not being controversial, but, like a lot of Brits, I do wonder why this show is so popular in the US.

So if you are a fan in the US (or indeed, any other country), why is that?

Personally, I like it because:

1. I love anything with "human" drama and emotions. (Above or below "stairs")

2. It's a bygone age - the history element is interesting. As is the etiquette, clothing, cars etc etc

3. Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey), is not far from where I live and I have visited several times, so I love checking out the rooms I have been in! :LOL:

So they are (some of) my reasons for enjoying the show.

What are yours?

Last edited:
I enjoy it for all the reasons you listed. Well, except for visiting Highclere ;).
I like a good miniseries. I loved Dynasty back in the eighties, moreso than Dallas. I like drama and a well done story, even if I do have to turn on the closed captioning to understand the accent :LOL:
And I love to think of living in simpler times, even though it really wasn't any more simple.
It's just really well done. And who doesn't love a good piano intro?

1. It is well written

2. The acting is superb

3. I am very interested in historical events. Most of the time I live in the past. I study genealogy and am facinated by how my ancestors lived.

4. I've been to the UK 3 times and feel a kinship with the British Isles.

I have never seen that show. But then I don't watch much tv. Football (the American version), racing,...all manner of racing, news (which is mostly depressing) But the show I miss most is David Rosengarten's "Taste", formerly on the The Food Channel, which is now known as the Food Network.

The acting is top notch for sure. It seems like everyone is really into their character. Well, except for the Shirley MacLaine appearance. She pretty much just plays herself.

I feel sure that Shirley MacLaine was brought in purely to please the American audience! I was actually quite excited that such a well-known (and I think respected?) actress was affordable on a little British show.

But of course, we have had the completely brilliant Elizabeth McGovern from day one, (and I think she has been remarkable).

1. It is well written

2. The acting is superb

3. I am very interested in historical events. Most of the time I live in the past. I study genealogy and am facinated by how my ancestors lived.

4. I've been to the UK 3 times and feel a kinship with the British Isles.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

3. The past is very interesting. Of course, as a Brit, I find American history pretty interesting too.

4. I went to New York City once, and felt like it was my second home, so hopefully, I understand what you mean. (I've been to the US 3 times so far.)

And of course another interesting thing about Highclere Castle? An American Heiress, Catherine Wendell, married the Earl of Carnarvon in 1922 (bringing with her a lot of American money). Otherwise, Downton Abbey might have been filmed somewhere else! So, in this instance, art is imitating life.

Last edited:
My first husband grew up on an estate like Highclere in the Lakes District. And Upstairs was not as kind to the downstairs help as shown on Downton Abbey.

I enjoy a well produced show where the actors know their craft. And Shirley McLaine is known somewhat as a flake in this country. But she can act when called upon. We will get the next chapter starting in January. January 9th I think. :angel:

I echo other's comments. It's well written and well acted and you really get invested in the characters.

Being invested in the characters?

Definitely the best reason I have for loving any show bakechef.

You do have to care about them. (Who wasn't in bits over what was going to happen to Bates?)

Who didn't cry their eyes out over Lady Cybil? (I used many tissues!)

My first husband grew up on an estate like Highclere in the Lakes District. And Upstairs was not as kind to the downstairs help as shown on Downton Abbey.

I enjoy a well produced show where the actors know their craft. And Shirley McLaine is known somewhat as a flake in this country. But she can act when called upon. We will get the next chapter starting in January. January 9th I think. :angel:

I entirely agree with you Addie.

It is a bit of a whitewash over what was a grim time for most people in "service".

I still find the show fascinating though.

It gets pilloried in Britain for historical inaccuracies. But I don't watch it for that - I watch it to find out what happens to the people!

I am not being controversial, but, like a lot of Brits, I do wonder why this show is so popular in the US.
Probably for the same reason that American shows like "How I Met Your Mother", "The Simpsons", "Two and a Half Men", "The Big Bang Theory", and many others are popular in Britain: clever writing and a terrific cast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom