Draining Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Draining Pasta

• Total voters
I didn't know they made a tennis racket that fits over the sink! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Actually I don't either but I was thinking of the movie The Apartment when I posted about tennis racket, because Jack Lemmon in the movie used a tennis racket to drain his spaghetti. :)

It depends on how much pasta! AND if it is hand-made by my husband! I often eat angel hair with veggies for a lunch for just me. When I do it is a hand-held seive. When I make a huge dinner for many, it is a rectangular one that fits over the sink. When hubby makes pasta, it is a rather ceremonious thing we do, where everyone oooos and ahhhs.

I never heard the word 'colander' until I was well into my 30s and was working in my first professional kitchen. The chef asked me to get her a colander. I had to ask what that was. I don't know how to spell what we (italians) called it but its pronounced 'skoolabasta'. Funny thing, Lou's family called it the same thing.

I never heard the word 'colander' until I was well into my 30s and was working in my first professional kitchen. The chef asked me to get her a colander. I had to ask what that was. I don't know how to spell what we (italians) called it but its pronounced 'skoolabasta'. Funny thing, Lou's family called it the same thing.

Funny, I grew up in Italian family and never heard of skoolabasta, only colander. :huh:

Oh, I have a good story. My mother-in-law lived in a very multi-ethnic neighborhood in Joliet when she was a young housewife. A woman came over, frustrated and fraught. She needed a ... well, a ... a.... Macaroni Stop, Water Go Ahead! She wanted to borrow a Macaroni Stop, Water Go Ahead! It took her awhile to realize that the woman wanted to borrow a collander! To this day both women are long in their graves, but hubby and I sometimes call it that!

I ever only use the lid of the saucepan at an angle to the pot and just pour the water out. No extra washing up that way and if there is a little bit of water left in, that's fine as it just makes up part of the sauce.

I use Nigella's colander if I'm draining the whole pot. If I'm making a sauce adjacent to the pasta pot, I'll use a spider to add the pasta directly to the sauce. Then I can use the pasta water to control the consistency of the sauce.

Here's Nigella's colander. The shape is perfect for tossing the pasta around to completely drain them.

AAAAAs0LEKkAAAAAAKLnQA.jpg

If I'm making a sauce adjacent to the pasta pot, I'll use a spider to add the pasta directly to the sauce. Then I can use the pasta water to control the consistency of the sauce.
I use a tip I got from America's Test Kitchen. I use a colander, but I put a coffee mug in it. I pour the water so that the coffee mug fills up. I put the mug aside and then pour the pasta into the colander. I can then use the pasta water in the mug to use for my sauce if needed.

If I had a spider I would do it your way though.

Now that I have my 8-quart pot with pasta insert, I use that. Just lift the insert straight up and your pasta drains right back into the pot! :rolleyes:

Pasta spoon?

Cooking for one, I usually pull the pasta out with one of these. Even if I never cooked spaghetti I wouldn't be without this gadget as a back scratcher.

Almost never bother with the big pot and pasta insert.

We all all shapes and sizes of colanders that we use for different things. I use the insert basket from my stock pot for draining pasta; a round metal one for meats; a plastic one with slots in the sides, holes in the bottom and a handle, which I hang from the handle in the sink by the sprayer, and use for washing vegetables; and a small one that's just perfect for draining a 14 oz can of fruit or vegies.
I have so much "stuff, my "stuff" has me. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom