Draining Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Draining Pasta

• Total voters

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Another silly poll ;)

Do you use a colander ? If so, what kind ? A tennis racket?
I use a rectangular one that fits over the sink.

If it's spaghetti, I use the metal collander that fits inside the pot it cooks in. I set that collander over the drain, dump most of the water out of the pot, then set it back into the pot on an angle to keep draining and keep warm.

Other pastas I cook in a different pot and turn the pot upsidedown to drain, barely cracking the lid, and shake.

I usually use a colander. I would like a pot with a straining insert. I tried one of those Pasta Pots they were advertising so much a few years ago. It worked fine for awhile, but it was a cheap hunk of junk and ended up rusting.

:)Barbara

I have three nested metal colanders that look like baskets. Usually, I put one in the sink and pour the pasta and water into it. For Christmas, though, I received a Calphalon cookware set that includes a Dutch oven and strainer insert; sometimes I use that and drain the water into the pot, then dump the pasta into a mixing bowl for further processing :chef:

Alton says you have to hit up a Tupperware party. He said there's nothing better than that collander they have with slots, because you want to get the water out as fast as possible, and it has a lid to snap on and shake.
Looks like it would take up too much room in the dishwasher to me.....

I have three nested metal colanders that look like baskets. Usually, I put one in the sink and pour the pasta and water into it. For Christmas, though, I received a Calphalon cookware set that includes a Dutch oven and strainer insert; sometimes I use that and drain the water into the pot, then dump the pasta into a mixing bowl for further processing :chef:

I have a set of three as well, and pretty much do the same thing. I also rinse it there with hot water before putting it back into the pot and adding some herbs and EVOO.

Alton says you have to hit up a Tupperware party. He said there's nothing better than that collander they have with slots, because you want to get the water out as fast as possible, and it has a lid to snap on and shake.
Looks like it would take up too much room in the dishwasher to me.....
I have one and I love it. It isn't any bigger than most colanders. I rarely use the lid, except to sometimes hold it up to a pan to drain it. It doesn't really snap on, but hooks in one spot, and then you hold the handles together. Using it with the lid isn't practical for anything heavy (like a big batch of pasta) but is ok for salad greens or other light things.

It won't let me vote twice, but somehow texasgirl showed up with two votes, interesting must be a glitch.
You must have read what I wrote before I revised it. I meant that you could vote for more than one option, not that you could vote twice. Sorry--itchy reply finger!

Back
Top Bottom