Dream cottage....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our home in Hawaii, Kaneohe, was an add-on
to my parents home, where I had lived from the
age of 5.
The main living area that was just for us two
was 600 sq feet (split level, so we were upstairs)
and then, by code in the C&C
of Honolulu, we had to have a common area
adjoining to the original structure, so we enclosed the
back patio of Mom & Dad's house to make a
living area for all of us to enjoy, about another
300 sq feet. Ohana (family in Hawaiian) Housing is
what that was referred to, multi-generational home-steads.
So, I guess we lived in an original "tiny house".
We were ok with the small space and have looked
for many years at buying either a travel trailer or
a Class C RV. An apartment on wheels if you will.
Like Steve said, if you don't like where you are,
MOVE! I figured out that it would cost us about the
same as paying for a hotel/motel room as much as we do.

I drove by the old Toyota headquarters yesterday on my way to Sam's Club and noticed all the Toyota signs and logos gone, and their huge lot empty. When I drove by just a week ago business seemed normal. It's a huge facility taking up an entire city block.

It's here now. 2.1 million square feet of space on 100 acres of land. Nothing "tiny" about that house. :ohmy:

CD

Attachments

• Toyota.jpg
    Toyota.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
If there are no books, I am not home.:D

Do you have an iPad? My mom is a voracious reader, and has hundreds, maybe even thousands of books on her iPad. I am slowly converting to iBooks, too. I have a select number of books, maybe two dozen, that I won't replace. But, all my new book purchases are iBooks.

BTW, my mom is 83, so iBooks are not just a young person thing. In fact, she loves that she can change the size of the text in her iBooks. You can't do that with print on paper.

CD

Do you have an iPad? My mom is a voracious reader, and has hundreds, maybe even thousands of books on her iPad. I am slowly converting to iBooks, too. I have a select number of books, maybe two dozen, that I won't replace. But, all my new book purchases are iBooks.

BTW, my mom is 83, so iBooks are not just a young person thing. In fact, she loves that she can change the size of the text in her iBooks. You can't do that with print on paper.

CD

But, I can hold them, smell them...I tried a Kindle, not at all the same book loving experience. Books are my life's blood. 2 dozen that you can not part with? I have hundreds I feel the same about.

I always thought of tiny homes as homes under 500 sq ft and small homes as those between 500 and 1000 sq ft. I'm not crazy about the tiny homes on wheels, but I would love to have one about 600 sq ft and on a foundation.

I'd love to live here:

Attachments

• foggy header IMG_6049.jpg
    foggy header IMG_6049.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Oh, heck, I could live in these, too:

Attachments

• home4.jpg
    home4.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Golden-Storybook-Cottage-in-Carmel-By-The-Sea.jpg
    Golden-Storybook-Cottage-in-Carmel-By-The-Sea.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 218
Love this one! :wub:

Cleaning all that floor to ceiling glass? I would be going up and down, up and down on my step stool or ladder. I look at everything in terms of cleaning. Unless I get rich enough for a cleaning company to come in biweekly.

Last edited:
I always thought of tiny homes as homes under 500 sq ft and small homes as those between 500 and 1000 sq ft. I'm not crazy about the tiny homes on wheels, but I would love to have one about 600 sq ft and on a foundation.

I'd love to live here:

I figure I could live very comfortably in 800 square feet on a slab, or 500 with a basement.

CD

I could never live in a small place again as a going concern. I grew up in a big family in a modest house which, with 4 sisters, was cramped, then spent a lot of years in tiny apartments in the city, and even my first house was a smallish 2 family (although I loved having my own kitchen).
I now live in a 15 room, 5k+ sq ft house, and I still keep coming up with ideas of how to make it bigger. Greenhouse, indoor endless pool, underground survival bunker, 2nd kitchen next to my tv room...:angel:

Back
Top Bottom