Drive-in movies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Mav's dinner and a movie tonight got me thinking...
Do you have a drive-in theater near you?
I never went to one growing up in NYC, until we moved here and I went to one with friends, I love 'em!!!
The last one I saw was Titanic, The Wedding Singer, and Hard Rain (Christian Slater.... yummy :angel:) all in 1 showing. I love when they have 3 good ones at a time!!!
What's the last one you saw???

Oh it is so long since I went to one! They have mostly been torn down around here. Tough to make a go of it when you can only be open for 2-4 months of the year.

We do have one not far away, but we have not been since we had kids. I think the last thing I saw was Planet of the Apes. We really enjoyed going there and I look forward to taking the kids some day. Hopefully it will still be around by that time.

Not that I am aware of. I love drive-in movies and would really appreciate having one near by. We actually talked about doing this as a gal's night out!

drive in movies used to be a cheap :neutral:treat for family out night. kids could talk a bit and fidget all they needed to. i miss them too.

have no clue what last movie i saw was but it was over twenty years ago.

babe:mellow:

I think my kids are ready to go to their first, but I work weekends so I'd have to take the next morning off for it... but I bet they would think it was the best thing they ever did!!
Finding kid-friendly movies at the drive-in seems more difficult also.

No clue here either.... too long ago and drive in movies for me was either a night out with the guys drinking in high school or a night out with the girlfriend (fill in the blank) same era.
I think the last one around here closed ten years ago.

I don't remember when was the last time I went to a drive in or with whom lol , it's been over 50 yrs since I've been to one.

Drive-ins :-: The Guide to Drive-in Movie Theatres :-: Drive-ins Movies Films Outdoor Cinemas

A few years ago, I took my family and I to Connecticut, where we found a drive in movie through the above site. Click on the ticket and it will show u all the drive in movies that exist in each state.

It was kinda cheap, and there was a double header.

WE backed the car/ suv in, all sat in the back and enjoyed the movie. Speaking of backs, my back was killing me after sitting in the back of the car for that long.

We noticed a few of the regulars who did things RIGHT. They had a pick up truck, brought folding chairs to sit in the back of the truck, and some of those mosquito repelling candles.

Had agreat time and would do it again.

Recently, a few public parks have been bringing the drive in back for the summer, kind of a nostalgia thing.
Drive-In Movies at Old Bethpage Village Restoration

i don't think there's any left around suburban nj/nyc. but i have fond memories of going to them as a kid. lol, i don't remember ever actually seeing a movie, but i did hear "d^mn, dirty ape" a few times. :angel:

I loved going to drive-ins when I was a kid. The last one I went to was when I was about 15 or 16. Wait, there was a twin-cinema drive-in that was open until I was in my late teens or early twenties, I think. As far as I know all the drive-ins in San Diego County shut down by the time that one closed. Many were torn down and buildings put up, but the twin screen one is now used for swapmeets and still has the screens (last time I was near there anyway).

:)Barbara

I used to love going to the drive-in movies ... as a little kid (sis and I could go to sleep when we got tired) and then in high-school (a cheap date) or a place to sneak in beer with a couple of buddies and watch a flick.

The last one I remember going to was when I was in a freshman in college - Halloween night, Friday, October 31, 1969. I remember because I was pledging my fraternity (ΑΦΩ) and the pledges had to work the desk collecting tickets/money. Some of us decided to go to the drive-in just down the road after the dance - they were having a "horror movies till dawn" marathon ... $5/car - so about 20 or so of us divided up into 4/car with our dates (1/2-price double-date).

Most of them around here closed down by the mid to late 70's - I know they were all shut down by the 80's. There were a couple of "skeleton screens" still standing - but the last time I went past them was about 10 years ago - so I'm sure there are gone by now.

I also miss the drive-in food joints which were hang-outs for the locals - every high-school had one that was theirs. Kids today still have places available like local Sonic's - but they just don't appreciate the old values and methods of socialization.

I'm afraid that most of these icons of Americana in the 50's and 60's is gone ... I'm glad I got to experience them. Gives me stories to tell my grandkids about - back in my day ... :LOL:

drive in

We do have one not far away, but we have not been since we had kids. I think the last thing I saw was Planet of the Apes. We really enjoyed going there and I look forward to taking the kids some day. Hopefully it will still be around by that time.

GB is the drive-in in Mendon? I think I heard there was one. I haven't been in years. Maybe the last movie at a drive-in was ET.

Wow the last drive-in I went to was probably 15 years ago, it was on Long Island, but it closed down, Im not sure but I think we saw one of the Batman movies.
There are no drive-ins here but there is a drive-in church in Daytona, lol go figure:LOL:

GB is the drive-in in Mendon? I think I heard there was one. I haven't been in years. Maybe the last movie at a drive-in was ET.
Yes the one we go to is in Mendon. It is not very expensive and the price of the ticket gets you two movies. Not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom