Drivers License Renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I just renewed my drivers license online. For some reason, people over age 65 are given the option of renewing for 2 years instead of 4. Does anyone know why someone would choose this option? What is the benefit, and why only those over age 65? It's not cost, because although the actual payout is lower, it's $19 for 2 years and $29.50 for 4 years. I chose the 4 year option. I'm not going to get any better looking so I'm just being optimistic that I will still be here that long! LOL

I just renewed my drivers license online. For some reason, people over age 65 are given the option of renewing for 2 years instead of 4. Does anyone know why someone would choose this option? What is the benefit, and why only those over age 65? It's not cost, because although the actual payout is lower, it's $19 for 2 years and $29.50 for 4 years. I chose the 4 year option. I'm not going to get any better looking so I'm just being optimistic that I will still be here that long! LOL

Maybe some folks are considering not driving anymore after a certain age. A two year option may be just the thing for them.

You really don't want my take on driving over the age of 70...:rolleyes:

I just did a 5-year renewal for $50.

We have an option to renew online. Then you have to go in for a renewal and take a new picture and eye test. After that, you can do another online renewal in 5 years as long as you are under 65 YO.

Wow... I think we are getting ripped. It costs $80 for five years up here.
In Quebec it's about $85/year. The license is valid for four years, but they send you a bill every year. The $85 includes insurance for bodily injury. If any Quebec resident is injured by a road vehicle anywhere in the world, that person is covered by this insurance. It means a pedestrian or cyclist injured in a hit and run collision doesn't need to find the driver to be covered.

I got a New Mexico drivers license in April 8 2013 and it expires November 30 2020.

What's up with that? That's over 7 years and 7 months.

It may well have something to do with the state of health the old person is in. We have to renew our driving licence at 70 and disclose certain medical conditions if we have them.

Maybe some folks are considering not driving anymore after a certain age. A two year option may be just the thing for them.

You really don't want my take on driving over the age of 70...:rolleyes:

I'll ask your take when your 70. :rolleyes:

I have to take the written test before my 70th birthday in a few days, although the last time I took it was the day I turned 16 years old. It seems strange they don't want me to take a driving test instead, but I'd be confident in taking the driving test also. I wonder if the driving test still includes parallel parking? A few days ago I parallel parked my big old Cadillac in a spot meant for a new Cadillac. Steve was impressed when we got out of the car and there were about 4" left between the front and back bumpers. I love to laugh at that car commercial with the automatic parallel parking.
Everyone I know says that I'm a very good driver, and I think so too.

Last edited:
...A few days ago I parallel parked my big old Cadillac in a spot meant for a new Cadillac. Steve was impressed when we got out of the car and there were about 4" left between the front and back bumpers. I love to laugh at that car commercial with the automatic parallel parking.

Kudos to you! I'd bet only a small percentage of drivers can parallel park.

I'll ask your take when your 70. :rolleyes:

I have to take the written test before my 70th birthday in a few days, although the last time I took it was the day I turned 16 years old. It seems strange they don't want me to take a driving test instead, but I'd be confident in taking the driving test also. I wonder if the driving test still includes parallel parking? A few days ago I parallel parked my big old Cadillac in a spot meant for a new Cadillac. Steve was impressed when we got out of the car and there were about 4" left between the front and back bumpers. I love to laugh at that car commercial with the automatic parallel parking.

Kayelle, I still swear you added 20 years to your real age (50). No way you're 70.

Anyway, there are old 70 yo's and young 70 yo's, Kayelle is definitely a young 70!

When I renewed my license it was good for 5 years, cost me $20.

Last edited:
I think I figured it out.

It's a mental test.

To see if you can remember to renew your license after 7 years:LOL:

The MA RMV stopped sending out renewal reminders for drivers licenses some years ago. Five years ago, SO And I both forgot to renew until mid-December.

This year we remembered and renewed on time. Two weeks later we got reminders from the RMV to renew our licenses.

The MA RMV stopped sending out renewal reminders for drivers licenses some years ago. Five years ago, SO And I both forgot to renew until mid-December.

This year we remembered and renewed on time. Two weeks later we got reminders from the RMV to renew our licenses.

According to my daughter, they will be reinstalling a lot of services that have been cut. It is cheaper to have those self serving services, than to have the personnel to handle it all. But they are cracking down on elderly drivers. They have to go in person to get a license renewal after a certain age. It is about time. :angel:

i assume it has to do with eyesight

We don't have to take an eye test. In 7-10 days I will receive a photo card. I will take that to the license center. They will take my picture and issue a new drivers license. No test. If I ever have to retest I'm in big trouble.

We don't have to take an eye test. In 7-10 days I will receive a photo card. I will take that to the license center. They will take my picture and issue a new drivers license. No test. If I ever have to retest I'm in big trouble.

Please let me know when you're on I 80. :LOL:

Then why don't you make an appointment with an optometrist and get a new prescription and glasses?

Back
Top Bottom