Drivers License Renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then why don't you make an appointment with an optometrist and get a new prescription and glasses?

I think Carol means retaking the written driving test, not the eye test. I may be wrong. We have to take an eye test here everytime we renew. I squint real hard and have passed in the past, but last time I did admit to wearing a contact lense, so I have a vision restriction on the license.

Last edited:
I think Carol means retaking the written driving test, not the eye test. I may be wrong. We have to take an eye test here everytime we renew. I squint real hard and have passed in the past, but last time I did admit to wearing a contact lense, so I have a vision restriction on the license.
Oops, you may be right.

I would want to read the manual if I had to take the written test again.

Oops, you may be right.

I would want to read the manual if I had to take the written test again.

Don't know if it's the same there Taxie, but you can take sample written tests online. I took the four sample tests and got 100% on each of them, so I hope I'm good to go for the real thing. It's been a very long time since I had to pass a test. :cool:

Don't know if it's the same there Taxie, but you can take sample written tests online. I took the four sample tests and got 100% on each of them, so I hope I'm good to go for the real thing. It's been a very long time since I had to pass a test. :cool:

Last time I had to take the written test after my license had expired, it was a piece of cake, basic common sense. I went into it cold, and aced it. Trust your instincts.

I'll ask your take when your 70. :rolleyes:

There are young 70 year olds and old ones...has to do with reaction times and mentation. I have seen some 60 year olds that should not have licenses, but have them they do. Scary. I firmly believe in testing every two years after a certain age and I won't mind it one bit when it's time for me.

There are young 70 year olds and old ones...has to do with reaction times and mentation. I have seen some 60 year olds that should not have licenses, but have them they do. Scary. I firmly believe in testing every two years after a certain age and I won't mind it one bit when it's time for me.
IMO age should be one factor in whether or not you need a refresher test for driving. A bigger factor is driving record. There are 30 year olds on the road that have absolutely no right to be behind the wheel of a car. If you have a certain number of moving violations in a defined time you should need to go in for retraining. I'd be OK with getting retested every 12-15 years when you're under 50. At 50 you should get retested at 60, then every five years after. Makes it easier on family members when they are not the ones having to take away the keys.

One of our local TV anchors does a human interest segment regularly. It's called "Real People, Real Stories". This past week she did a segment on an 89-year-old taxi cab driver, "Aunt Dottie". If you want to see the video there is only one link under the "Search Results" bar on this page.

Nope! No eye test. At least I've never had to take one yet and I've been driving for 44 years. I have glasses and I wear them when driving. I can see without them, but can see better with them. There is no vision restriction on my license. My eye doctor tells me if I ever have to have an eye test for driving, try it without the glasses first. If I fail, then put the glasses on and take it again.

DL, I doubt if I will ever be on I80. My husband does most of the driving. Mine is limited to going to the store a mile from home etc. Mainly because most of the places we go we go together and he always drives.

If I ever have to retake the written test, I'm doomed. I would need to read over the book, first. I know to stop at a red light or stop sign, stay on the right side of the road, pull over for an emergency vehicle...you know, the basics. And if I ever have to take a test behind the wheel I don't think I could parallel park or do a 3 point turn.

PF, I know that my reaction time is not what it used to be, that's why I don't drive the highways and just stick to local driving, where there's one lane in each direction and you stay behind the guy in front of you and drive the guy behind you crazy. LOL I get nervous when it involves lane changing and merging. I am definately one of the ones people are talking about when they say if you can't drive, stay off the road!

It's not like it used to be. When I was growing up you could walk 2 blocks to the grocery store and the same for the drug store to get your meds. You can't do that anymore. If they take away your license and you have no one to get your food and meds, what do you do? Then there's doctor visits, too. The older people don't like to give up what they consider their only tie to the outside world.

I got a New Mexico drivers license in April 8 2013 and it expires November 30 2020.

What's up with that? That's over 7 years and 7 months.

Beth - here in VA they changed the rules a few years ago and got everyone on a 10 year cycle. It corresponds with your age. So at 25, 35, 45, 55 etc. you are due for a new license during your birth month. Perhaps NM is doing something similar so it works out to that odd number for now. When VA first started this change, some folks had to renew in like 2 years and others in 8 or 9 depending on their age.

IMO age should be one factor in whether or not you need a refresher test for driving. A bigger factor is driving record. There are 30 year olds on the road that have absolutely no right to be behind the wheel of a car. If you have a certain number of moving violations in a defined time you should need to go in for retraining. I'd be OK with getting retested every 12-15 years when you're under 50. At 50 you should get retested at 60, then every five years after. Makes it easier on family members when they are not the ones having to take away the keys.

One of our local TV anchors does a human interest segment regularly. It's called "Real People, Real Stories". This past week she did a segment on an 89-year-old taxi cab driver, "Aunt Dottie". If you want to see the video there is only one link under the "Search Results" bar on this page.

Agreed! Driving record should be a huge factor in keeping your license...driving is a privilege, not a right.

I still can't believe my Grandmother was sent her new driver's license and she couldn't even remember she already bought milk the day before, let alone how to get to the DMV. Or my Paternal Grandmother totaling three cars in less than a year.

PF, I know that my reaction time is not what it used to be, that's why I don't drive the highways and just stick to local driving, where there's one lane in each direction and you stay behind the guy in front of you and drive the guy behind you crazy. LOL I get nervous when it involves lane changing and merging. I am definately one of the ones people are talking about when they say if you can't drive, stay off the road!

It's not like it used to be. When I was growing up you could walk 2 blocks to the grocery store and the same for the drug store to get your meds. You can't do that anymore. If they take away your license and you have no one to get your food and meds, what do you do? Then there's doctor visits, too. The older people don't like to give up what they consider their only tie to the outside world.

For me, it's a matter of acknowledging your limitations or being able to acknowledge them and act accordingly. I understand that older folks feel threatened by losing their freedom...but would they rather lose some freedom or cause an accident with injury and death? There are services out there to help with getting groceries, medications and getting to appointments. If you are lucky, you have family near-by to help.

I think that some consideration should be given to senior citizens having restricted licenses at some point. Daylight driving only, no interstates etc... I am fairly young and I impose those types of restrictions on myself. I also think a shorter time between renewals should be considered after a certain age. In New York we get a new license every eight years, that's along time for an eighty year old.

My point exactly Aunt Bea. Shrek scares the bejeebers out of me now, I need a Xanax to get in the car with him. He will need a new license next year when he is 68...add 7 years for the next one. He might listen to me about restricting his driving.

My point exactly Aunt Bea. Shrek scares the bejeebers out of me now, I need a Xanax to get in the car with him. He will need a new license next year when he is 68...add 7 years for the next one. He might listen to me about restricting his driving.

Maybe a brake pedal on the passenger side, similar to a drivers ed car! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
...If I ever have to retake the written test, I'm doomed. I would need to read over the book, first. I know to stop at a red light or stop sign, stay on the right side of the road, pull over for an emergency vehicle...you know, the basics. And if I ever have to take a test behind the wheel I don't think I could parallel park or do a 3 point turn.....
That 3-point turn depends a lot on the turning ratio of the car. Himself swears my Sonata could turn around inside of herself! Yup, he's jealous. :LOL:

Your comment made me think of this old bit from the sit-com "Taxi". Cracks me up every time!What does a yellow light mean? - YouTube

The SAAQ (which is the motor vehicle department in Quebec) had an online quiz. I got all the answers right, except two where I chose "I don't ride a bicycle." Hunh? How can that be wrong unless I lie and how would a website know that?

Here in Massachusetts, a yellow light means speed up and beat the light before it turns red. Just ask any driver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom