Drivers License Renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The intersection where my street meets Rt 30 is terrible. If you want to pull out onto Rt 30 when the light turns green, you have to wait for 3-4 cars to go through the red light first. There are so many accidents there. People behind you are blowing the horn for you to pull out. If and when we get red light cameras, that should be one of the first.

Here in Massachusetts, a yellow light means speed up and beat the light before it turns red. Just ask any driver.

I make a lot of people mad because I slow and stop when the light turns yellow. I figure they can do whatever they like as soon as they can get in front of me.:angel:

I make a lot of people mad because I slow and stop when the light turns yellow. I figure they can do whatever they like as soon as they can get in front of me. :angel:

Because my daughter works in admin. upper management for the RMV, she can not afford to have anything on her driving record. It could cost her, her job. So she stops also. :angel:

I hope my father stops driving. He's turning 90 and I don't trust him behind the wheel.

Call your Father's doctor and tell him your concerns, let the doc be the bad guy. The doc can also call the DMV and the license can be cancelled. It's tough but sometimes we have to do these things to keep our loved ones safe...and others. I'm driving more and more, Shrek is a horrible passenger, too!:LOL:

I hope my father stops driving. He's turning 90 and I don't trust him behind the wheel.

Sometimes it helps if older folks know they have some assistance and options available to them when they give up driving. We were fortunate when my mother and the cat stopped driving they made the decision without our intervention. We sat down and went over options as far as having meds and other items delivered, setting up a schedule for grocery shopping, banking, medical appointments etc... It also helps if you or others in the family can pick up the phone once in a while and ask if they would like to ride shotgun with you while you run errands. We also found that taking her places she wanted to go without offering our opinions was very important, we were just the wheels, not the Mom police. If she wanted to go to the liquor store or some such place we went and kept our thoughts to ourself, it was her life not ours. It's never easy, but we will all have our turn, take a deep breath and smile! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Here in Massachusetts, a yellow light means speed up and beat the light before it turns red. Just ask any driver.
Maybe the natives, but I don't...unless that jerk on my tail is so danged close my stopping will result in my getting rear-ended. :mad: I tend to do the "10% factor" for speeding when I'm the only one around - posted speed limit plus 10% over. But if someone comes up behind me *bam* I am right down to the posted speed limit. No way do I want to worry about a tailgater while trying to scan the road for unsafe conditions ahead. Or a speed trap. ;)

I want a nice sign on the back of my car, lit up with the touch of a button on my steering wheel. It would say "I refuse to get a speeding ticket because you want to go faster". When I'm Lead Dog I set the pace! :LOL:

FWIW, I also come to a complete stop at stop signs while most people around here just think it's an abbreviation for the full word "stoption". :D

Maybe the natives, but I don't...unless that jerk on my tail is so danged close my stopping will result in my getting rear-ended. :mad: I tend to do the "10% factor" for speeding when I'm the only one around - posted speed limit plus 10% over. But if someone comes up behind me *bam* I am right down to the posted speed limit. No way do I want to worry about a tailgater while trying to scan the road for unsafe conditions ahead. Or a speed trap. ;)

I want a nice sign on the back of my car, lit up with the touch of a button on my steering wheel. It would say "I refuse to get a speeding ticket because you want to go faster". When I'm Lead Dog I set the pace! :LOL:

FWIW, I also come to a complete stop at stop signs while most people around here just think it's an abbreviation for the full word "stoption". :D

+1
Little makes me as mad as being tailgated, and it's always by a younger driver. I use the left lane on a highway for passing only, and keep up with the speed limit in the right hand lane so there's never an excuse to tailgate me. Not only do lead dogs set the pace CG, unless you be the lead dog, the view never changes. ;)

The intersection where my street meets Rt 30 is terrible. If you want to pull out onto Rt 30 when the light turns green, you have to wait for 3-4 cars to go through the red light first. There are so many accidents there. People behind you are blowing the horn for you to pull out. If and when we get red light cameras, that should be one of the first.
You don't really want them to put those red light cameras. They make accident rates go up. They are a cash cow for government. The temptation to shorten the yellow light duration is too big. It catches more motorists and causes more accidents. The Danger and Rampant Corruption of Traffic Light Cameras « Commentary Magazine

You don't really want them to put those red light cameras. They make accident rates go up. They are a cash cow for government. The temptation to shorten the yellow light duration is too big. It catches more motorists and causes more accidents. The Danger and Rampant Corruption of Traffic Light Cameras « Commentary Magazine

I agree. They're a huge controversy in our little town, actually throughout the state, but the town doesn't want to take them down as they provide so much revenue.

+1
Little makes me as mad as being tailgated, and it's always by a younger driver. I use the left lane on a highway for passing only, and keep up with the speed limit in the right hand lane so there's never an excuse to tailgate me. Not only do lead dogs set the pace CG, unless you be the lead dog, the view never changes. ;)
I want to be able to project a hologram of a car behind me. :LOL:

Quebec drivers are rather aggressive, but they seldom tailgate unless they mean it. So, you can speed up or make it easy for them to pass and they usually do - end of problem. When I drove in Nova Scotia, I found the drivers to very polite, but they didn't seem to realize they shouldn't tailgate. Making it easy to pass didn't help, and neither did speeding up. They also didn't seem to know what lane they were supposed to be in or who had the right of way.

I make sure that I don't tailgate and to come to a complete stop at stop signs. When I approach a "stale" traffic light, I repeat to myself, "stale, stale, ..." until I get to the "point of no stopping*" and then, if the light hasn't changed, say to myself, "Going through". Traffic lights turn red. It shouldn't be a surprise. ;) I hate having to hit the brakes hard.

*The "point of no stopping" is further from the light when there is someone tailgating, allowing me to brake more slowly. If someone is tailgating when I approach a stop sign, I start to gently brake further from the stop sign than if I don't have someone following too closely.

Boy howdy, that's the truth Taxi. The only two tickets I've ever had were at the same camera intersection, making a left hand turn on a yellow light. :mad: Not only was the yellow light too short both times, one time the idiot ahead of me decided to slow way down once I was committed to the turn. I fought both tickets and won.

Sometimes it helps if older folks know they have some assistance and options available to them when they give up driving. We were fortunate when my mother and the cat stopped driving they made the decision without our intervention. We sat down and went over options as far as having meds and other items delivered, setting up a schedule for grocery shopping, banking, medical appointments etc... It also helps if you or others in the family can pick up the phone once in a while and ask if they would like to ride shotgun with you while you run errands. We also found that taking her places she wanted to go without offering our opinions was very important, we were just the wheels, not the Mom police. If she wanted to go to the liquor store or some such place we went and kept our thoughts to ourself, it was her life not ours. It's never easy, but we will all have our turn, take a deep breath and smile! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

+ 1 This is good advice.

...When I drove in Nova Scotia, I found the drivers to very polite, but they didn't seem to realize they shouldn't tailgate. Making it easy to pass didn't help, and neither did speeding up.....
I've found the same thing to be the general rule around by us. It's as if both bumpers are being drawn to each other by a magnetic force, being kept apart only 10 feet by a special energy field. It is far too often I cannot see the grill of a car no less the license plate.

I've found the same thing to be the general rule around by us. It's as if both bumpers are being drawn to each other by a magnetic force, being kept apart only 10 feet by a special energy field. It is far too often I cannot see the grill of a car no less the license plate.
I didn't find Massachusetts drivers were particularly polite. :ermm::LOL:

When I visited Mass in the early '80s, most drivers didn't seem to know they had blind spots. I hadn't brought my car, so I was usually a passenger and had time to look into cars. The only car drivers I saw checking blind spots were taxi drivers. I drove to Logan Airport from Montreal and back in 2005. I noticed a big difference in blind spot awareness, so they may learn about tailgating.

Maybe it would make people learn that yellow means slow down, proceed with caution instead of flooring it. I am like a few others who slow down and stop at a yellow light. I believe that the reason people run the red lights is because they added that little buffer by having a few seconds delay before the other light turns green, and they know that. Red lights aren't usually more than a couple minutes. How much of a hurry are they in?

We got slammed at our intersection when the light was green. We put our turn signal on to turn into our street and the guy behind us was rubbernecking at a car broke down on the side of the road and didn't see that we stopped. Slammed into us full speed ahead. Never touch the brake. Luckily we were not hurt.

Sometimes it helps if older folks know they have some assistance and options available to them when they give up driving. We were fortunate when my mother and the cat stopped driving :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Is this him?

Attachments

• cat driving car.jpg
    cat driving car.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 180

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom