Driving test question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"If you damage an unattended vehicle, you must either (1)locate the owner or (2 )leave your name, address, the name of the owner of the vehicle you are driving and a statement of what happened on the damaged vehilce where the owner will find it."

According to the manual, only c would be a correct answer.

B is clearly incorrect, as leaving name and number only is not what you must do. You must also leave other info.

C is a means by which to locate the property's owner. Probably not the smartest means, but still the answer describes a method by which one might locate the owner.

Years ago I had a similar fight with the Registry of Motor Vehicles over this question:

"Accidents happen when you least expect them."

I argued that an accident, by definition* is unexpected. Like you, they said it was computerized and couldn't change it. Blah Blah Blah.

*ac·ci·dent javascript:play('A0040700') (
abreve.gif
k
prime.gif
s
ibreve.gif
-d
schwa.gif
nt, -d
ebreve.gif
nt
lprime.gif
)
n. 1. a. An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.
b. An unforeseen incident: A series of happy accidents led to his promotion.
c. An instance of involuntary urination or defecation in one's clothing.

*ac·ci·dent (
abreve.gif
k
prime.gif
s
ibreve.gif
-d
schwa.gif
nt, -d
ebreve.gif
nt
lprime.gif
)
n. 1. a. An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.
b. An unforeseen incident: A series of happy accidents led to his promotion.
c. An instance of involuntary urination or defecation in one's
clothing.

:ROFLMAO: Jenny, would those qualify as moving violations?

Texas, I think it's admirable to stand up for what you believe. It's clear, the question should be more clear. IMO, best way to make a change (although time consuming), would be to write a letter to the powers that be in your state - or on line. Don't think bringing the matter up to the employees will get the tests changed throughout your state. Again, I applaud you for taking a stand.

This is definitely the classic question type; "Choose the most correct answer.".

Though answer C was correct, answer B was most correct, and for the following reasons.

1. The handbook instructed that you make a resonable attempt to find the owner of the damaged property. It is not always possible to do so. However, it is always possible to leave your name, address, phone-number, and owner of the vehicle creating the damage. Therefore, answer B, which states that you should leave your name, number, and as much pertinent information as possible, is always the possible solution. The same can't be said of answer C. And that is why your son got the question wrong.

Now, that being said, it is often difficult to differentiate between 2 close answers, especially when both are correct and found in the study material. The question given on the test is used to evaluate your son's ability to choose a correct course of action, not whether or not he studied the material.

If answer C were the correct answer, then when the owner of the damaged property could not be found, the responibility for restitution would be removed from the party who damaged the property, and that couldn't satisfy the law of justice.

I know, I talk too much. But I hope I shed some light on the question.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I originally said B was the correct answer, but after reading Jennys answer and re-reading the question and choices along with what the manual says I see that Jenny is right. C is the only correct answer.

The manual says "you must either locate the owner or leave your name, address, the name of the owner of the vehicle you are driving and a statement of what happened on the damaged vehilce where the owner will find it."

Answer B only says leave name and number. It does not say anything about leaving your address, vehicle you are driving, or a statement of what happened. That is three missing things out of 5 that are required. Goodweed, you mentioned that B is most correct because it asks you to leave as much pertinent info as possible. This is an assumption that you (and I) made because it is the only logical thing to do. The "b" answer, however does not say that at all. It ONLY asks that you leave your name and number.

Answer C completely fulfills the requirement that the manual talks about in the first half (that being you must locate the owner). C says wait for the owner to come back which is the same as locating the owner.

According to the way the question was worded I now see that C is the only correct answer.

The question was worded very poorly though and should be redone IMO.

jennyema said:
If a group of intelligent adults can't immediately agree on the right answer that should tell them something!

Yep, and we have all been driving for how long??:LOL:
He is still inexperienced as far as stuff like this and felt that waiting for the owner would be better, especially in this day and age where anyone can take that info and use it if you put it on the car.

I think "B" is the correct answer.

Leaving your name and number fulfills the requirement to, "...make a reasonable effort to locate the owner to give him all the necessary information."

Answer "C", on the other hand, calls for you to, "Wait for the owner to come back and give name, number and insurance information." Just how long are you required to wait!? What if the owner is on a two-week vacation to Aruba? (I'm leaving on January 29th)? Do you sit there on the curb?

As for waiting, we were talking about waiting being the first option. If your on vacation or something like that, your not going to leave your car in a parking lot or something like at a grocery store.
If your car is parked in the road on a residential street, of course he's not going to wait on the curb for them to come out! He would go to the door first and if no answer, then leave the info.
I didn't mean for this to get into a debate, just wanted to know what others thought before I called them up on it. I did that and it's done.
Thanks for the replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom