"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #21
Master Chef

Thank you all for helping me through this!!
Goodweed, I know what your saying and I keep telling myself that it will get better. He will be surrounded by good people. This family is a close knit kind, like my family and I know that they will help him grow into the man I know he can be.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #22
Head Chef

Texas I don't have any children but it must be very hard on you that your son is leaving.

I will think good things and say a prayer for you and him. He will be okay and try not too worry

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpj4
Texas I don't have any children but it must be very hard on you that your son is leaving.

I will think good things and say a prayer for you and him. He will be okay and try not too worry

Thank you
Old 10-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
No, it's not that I didn't want him going into Tennessee, it's because he would have had 3 transfers and 4 very long layovers that route. This one doesn't have any layovers and only has the 2 transfers. We went through Tennessee years ago. It takes forever to get through it. But it's pretty.
It doesn't take as long as Texas. I can get from Knoxville to the Mississippi River in about 6ish hours. I can remember going to summer camp in Midland while growing up in Houston. It took us *10* hours to get there in a school bus, and we were *still* in Texas.

I hope he brought a book and some sleeping pills, because I-10/I-20 through the Deep South is *boooooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggggg... *

I moved back to Houston from Knoxville via Greyhound in 1987. What should have been an 18 hour, tops, trip, took *28* hours, and that was catching the Express with no stops from Dallas to Houston.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Your so right TG, it's tough to let go, let them become grown ups, but ultimately as you said, he will become the man you raised him to be.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Prayers are going his way Txgirl. We never stop worrying about them even if they're grown and gone. Trust that he will be fine and think positive. Hugs,
Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #27
DC Grandma

the hardest thing for me when son John went to San Diego for Boot Camp (Navy) was when a large box was delivered containing all his belongings...I sat on the floor and cried. My Kevin who was 2 years old at the time sat down and all he could say between tears was "Nonnies gone" over and over.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #28
Senior Cook

My mother didn't even wave goodbye when I went to Australia, but I saw my eldest son off to Europe and the US in the cold grey light of dawn when he was 19 years old. He was alone and backpacking, and was away for months, and that is why I learned to use a computer. Then it was Asia, then somewhere else. Then he stopped, went to Uni and is now a chartered accountant. So what happens? He is being seconded to Canada for four months, and is planning to go down to the States for another two months. I dunno.

You will miss your son very much TG, it goes with the territory. I think loving our kids is an ecstatic burden. A terrifying joy. A triumphant desperation. But when he comes home again, (and he will) cuddles you close and kisses the top of your head, asking 'how is my little mummy', you will really know what a good job you have done. You wll know Pride TG, real Pride.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #29
Master Chef

TG, I know you and he have had a rough year. I hope this brings him the peace he needs to have a happier life--which means you will too. {{hugs}}
Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Let me chip in my best wishes to you and your guy... I hope things will work out for the best for you guys, you deserve it. (((Hugs))))