Ducks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
about a month ago, i saw a wild turkey in my yard. By the time i got the camera, the turkey had disappeared. Im just glad my kids and wife saw it, because i would have thought i was crazy. I live in a residential area, fenced in yard, about 1/2 acre. I didnt think a turkey would be interested in my property unless it was someones pet who got lost or maybe someones dinner that escaped ( and being a vegetarian, knew it was safe on my property :P )

about a month ago, i saw a wild turkey in my yard. By the time i got the camera, the turkey had disappeared. Im just glad my kids and wife saw it, because i would have thought i was crazy. I live in a residential area, fenced in yard, about 1/2 acre. I didnt think a turkey would be interested in my property unless it was someones pet who got lost or maybe someones dinner that escaped ( and being a vegetarian, knew it was safe on my property :P )
I've seen wild turkeys too on my property , also have seen ring necked pheasants. Glad the turkey was safe . ;)

When I used to live in the city there was a school field across from me. Every year there would be a huge puddle formed after the winter melt and spring rains. Every year, there were two Mallards swimming around in their pseudo pond...... pond dried up, off they went. Now I'm in the country and sometimes have that happen in the corner of my yard, but they seem smart enough to know there is a real pond nearby and only stay long enough to rest.
It's always nice to see wildlife.

When I used to live in the city there was a school field across from me. Every year there would be a huge puddle formed after the winter melt and spring rains. Every year, there were two Mallards swimming around in their pseudo pond...... pond dried up, off they went. Now I'm in the country and sometimes have that happen in the corner of my yard, but they seem smart enough to know there is a real pond nearby and only stay long enough to rest.
It's always nice to see wildlife.
I enjoy the wildlife, of all kinds, deer, fox, pheasant, turkey, heron, ducks, chipmunks, raccoons, birds of all kinds, rabbits and of course the squirrels. There were bears around too, destroyed hubby's beehives, he never replaced them. Oh, one time a goat wandered in the yard, apparently he got loose from somewhere.

PeppA and I went fishing today. We saw 9 wee little mallard ducklings. They were so tiny! Must have just hatched within the last week or so. Momma Duck was nowhere to be seen, and we watched them for 30 minutes. I even saw what appeared to be a bass try and swallow one of them. Don't know if the bass succeeded or not.

hope that your stunned bird is ok, LC.....we once had a peacock make himself at home in our neighborhood---apparently the cats and dogs decided it was better to leave him alone...he was with us a long time wandering amongst our yards and getting fat

OH man this makes me laugh. Reason why:

About 10 years ago when i was 13, my neighborer had her 3 turkeys out in her yard. Well one of them decided it wanted to roost in the tree and just chill for a while. The 4 year old boy next door was running around in his underwear playing out side. He saw the big turkey in the tree and decided he wanted to tease it. he was yellin and waving his arms about trying to get this turkeys attention. Then out of no where this turkey jumps out of the tree and lands on this kid and starts beatin him down with its wings and pecking at him. The kid was ballin his eyes out. he got up to run and the turkey chased him around his yard. OH MAN, funniest dang thing i have seen happen to a kid.

OH man this makes me laugh. Reason why:

About 10 years ago when i was 13, my neighborer had her 3 turkeys out in her yard. Well one of them decided it wanted to roost in the tree and just chill for a while. The 4 year old boy next door was running around in his underwear playing out side. He saw the big turkey in the tree and decided he wanted to tease it. he was yellin and waving his arms about trying to get this turkeys attention. Then out of no where this turkey jumps out of the tree and lands on this kid and starts beatin him down with its wings and pecking at him. The kid was ballin his eyes out. he got up to run and the turkey chased him around his yard. OH MAN, funniest dang thing i have seen happen to a kid.
My grandma had a zillion year old turkey (well, he was really old anyway!) that was really mean. We always carried a big stick out of the house with us whenever we went out! He would sometimes fly at the door, feet first (picture Chuck Norris here) trying to get us. We were so glad when that dumb bird finally died.

:)Barbara

my grandpa watched someone's flock of turkeys ONE SEASON----it's the worst job that he ever took on...........Turkeys have earned their dumb reputation.........you just didn't even bring up the memory====I still remember him wielding a stick with a whip at the end of it to get them off the fences.....they looked so bored with him......this is thru the eyes of a 6 year old

Back
Top Bottom