"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 AM   #11
Master Chef

Dumb mistakes----hmm, got a calculator? One of the worst was a turkey I once made in Egypt where they didn't have fat butterballs. Found a recipe that called for seasoning the turkey, stuffing with onions, etc., covering with cheese cloth soaked in olive oil and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight, then bake the next day with the cheesecloth still on. I didn't have cheesecloth but used a muslin cup towel. Turned out tender, juicy, and compliments all the way round.
So the following year I was begged to bake one again--same routine as the year before. Only this time when I pulled my turkey out after an hour to check on Mr. Tom he was a bright green and so were all the juices. I had used a green cup towel to cover the turkey and as it had been washed several times I thought that it would be safe. I guess the combination of olive oil and heat leached out whatever dye must have been left. Talk about embarrassment !!! I managed to get most of the green dye out with lots of hard work and wiping down with paper towels and suctioning off the green juices with a turkey baster. I fumed the entire time it cooked, smacking myself on the forehead for being so DUMB!! Ending?? Everybody loved it, anyway!!!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:12 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I've had a few, but the worst one was once when my dh's family was all coming for dinner. Some of them are bad cooks and the rest don't cook at all so I was doing everything myself, plus my mil was sticking closer than a brother while I was cooking. I was making potato salad on one counter and fruit salad on another. I opened the coconut and poured it in the potato salad. It is impossible to get all the bits out. Someone wrote of a calamity in IHOP. My son and dil were eating at IHOP when her water broke. Needless to say, when they go in now, there is always someone who remembers them well.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:22 AM   #13
Head Chef

I've melted a few things on toasters and hotplates I forgot were hot. I made a batch of scones a few weeks ago with the wrong flour so had to throw the whole lot out and start again.
Dad was making gravy for me recently and couldn't find my flour container so accidently used salt which is for DDs fish tank instead!!!!!!! Needdless to say that didnt get eaten either.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:32 AM   #14
Head Chef

Too many to even think of listing, I am really foolish sometimes :( I hate oven gloves, and forget not to get the cloth I hang on the oven door dry, so steam myslef sometimes. My arms/hands/wrists are often burnt a teeny bit. I often get cerried away when using a recipe and don't read things properly, often making an entirely different dish to the one I thought I was making, but those sort of accidents are usually ok. But really, I don't believe any body makes more ballsups than I do in the kitchen!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:32 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Burnt my hand two times Sunday trying to get one of my beer can chickens to sit straight !! Dang Bird ! I have more scars on my arms --, and I think I'am Careful !!!! --Roll of paper towels started to burn -- on top of Toaster! Whew ! -- Ever open fridge - to nuke coffee ?? Just remembered one ! -My girlfriend was unthawing liver for her family for dinner - when she went to fix it, she realized she had unthawed a brown wash cloth, she had in there for her daughters fever !! We still laugh about is one, thirty years later !!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:39 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

The entire hotel staff knew ...

when I was an apprentice chef the head chef sent me down to the cellar where all dry goods were kept. He told me to wash some more salt (as if it was normal to wash salt.)

I believed what he said and brought 20 kilo salt, just before rinsing the salt they stopped me. Meanwhile the entire staff stood there and had a big laugh.

It was just normal to have fun with the newbies and they catched me on two or three other occasions. (Weigh the trouts in the aquarium and stick a little note with the exact weight on the trout's back. --> I already made little paper notes, prepared everything, when I took out the first trout they told me it was a joke. Another one: The boss of the hotel sent me to a befriended hotel in that village to return our Ice Cube Cut Machine. The other hotels staff was informed and they prepared a huge box with stones in it which I carried on my back back to our hotel where everybody had a big laugh. )
Old 11-08-2006, 06:48 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Microwaving Canned goods, baked beans, potatoes and carrots are the worst, they quite literaly Explode!
don`t deep fat fry canned potatoes either, they do NOT make quick roast potatoes, rather a very dangerous way to make potatoe bits that float and get soaked in oil.
leaning forwards and dropping your headphones into the soup isn`t great either :)

I could continue, but I wish to maintain whatever remaining "street Cred" I still have left :P

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
I once tried to smell the food I was sauteing, by lifting up the fry pan and at the same time lowering my head to smell it. Guess I was over eager as my nose hit the searingly hot lip of the pan instead.

Result? I had an upturned crescent shaped brown scab on the tip of my nose for several days. Worse of it was that people kept asking me to explain the strange little smiley ...!
Chopstix, this had me rolling on the floor!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac
I've melted a few things on toasters and hotplates I forgot were hot. I made a batch of scones a few weeks ago with the wrong flour so had to throw the whole lot out and start again.
Dad was making gravy for me recently and couldn't find my flour container so accidently used salt which is for DDs fish tank instead!!!!!!! Needdless to say that didnt get eaten either.
Oh, goodness, that reminds me of the time I did NOT fill the sugar bowl. My Uncle came down, had coffee, Dad filled the sugar bowl with what looked like sugar. Nope, it was salt!!!! That was about 4 years ago, I'm still laughing about it as I'm writing this. I wish I could have seen my Uncle's face ... TOO FUNNY!!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:20 AM   #20
Sous Chef

These are great - I needed a good smile today - I am sure the one I am about to tell has happened to someone you know -- My cousin wanted to make Thanksgiving dinner at her house when she first got married - So the table was set - so much food you could not see the table - but no stuffing - where is the stuffing my mom asked - Straight faced she said - Oh I did not make any - the bird was already stuffed - She cooked the bird with the bag of innards still wrapped in the middle - lol