Dumb things you have done in the kitchen...that you are willing to admit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One day I was happily spooning my cool strawberry jam into a jar. The moment the jar filled and I was about to cap it, its bottom fell off hitting the floor and smashing it into pieces to my great disappointment. That has taught me to check all my sterilized jars before transferring jams.

Jeez! you were Lucky it was Cool!!!!
any idea what damage hot jam can do to you, it`s as bad as molten plastic :(

Started cleaning the slicer before the blade had finished slowing down and stopped.

I cut myself.

goboenomo, for some reason I have sympathetic ankles. Someone tells me a story involving serious pain, my ankles ache. Your slicer story got my ankles twinging all right.

Anyway, the once burned, twice shy saying isn't true in my case. More than once I've put a pan on the hob to boil, gone away and forgotten all about it till the flat fills up with smoke. Nice pans they were, too. One had to go in the bin and the other has never been quite the same since, despite weeks of soaking and gradual chipping away at the coal face.

I've got my sense of smell back since an operation a few weeks back so with any luck next time I'll notice before it's too late!

I have had all the fun in the world of cleaning/boiling out th fryers, in my green years, then dumping gallons of grease back into them WITHOUT closing the vaule. Big Fun!

One time I was sanitizing nipples for my son's bottles. I went and sat on the couch for a minute. Well I dozed off. Needless to say I woke to a burnt rubber smell, nipples melted inside the pot cause all the water boiled away. Never did that again lol.

The first time I cooked a turkey, I cooked it with the little paper bag of giblits in it. It didn't really hurt anything, but my ex got a large charge out of it.

One Thanksgiving, I cooked fresh broccoli from my garden without soaking it in salt-water first. When the water came to a boil, MANY little green worms came floating to the surface of the water. My guests were in the kitchen, chatting, so they all got to see my faux paus first hand.

After brewing a kettle of tea, I laid my hand on the burner to see if it had cooled off enough to set a plastic bowl on. It hadn't. I had burner marks on my hand. Thank heavens for aloe and ice.

I was making homemade pizza for friends, and discovered that my yeast was out-dated...so I doubled the amount. The pizza got a good 6" tall. No matter how we poked and prodded, it kept rising. It could have been a scene from an I Love Lucy episode.The ironic thing is that I never can get bread to rise properly. Go figure.

I have a problem at work where I think I can lean against our convection oven... it's this massive steel box with super-thick walls, so it never looks like it will be hot, but it always is. When I first started, I think I did it at least once everyday for about 3 weeks.

I also cut myself on the mandolins at work all the time... though thats not really my fault, our handguards dont work for ****.

I accidentally grab hot pans with what feels like a dry towel, but is actually slightly moist, resulting in frequent burns.

Just your normal "not-thinking" moments you have that your pay for later when in the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another. I made a stupid mistake by listening to my boss who knows nothing about the kitchen when she told me to cut lettuce faster when I was already going fast enough.

I did that and cut the top of my thumb. The piece of the thumb was just barely holding on. I had to hold it in place, clean it out, and cover it up all at once. Then I had to get back to work, cutting the rest of the lettuce.

Good grief, goboenomo. Don't have any more accidents like these. I'll be getting sympathetic knees next!

just this morning, I was trying to clean my mister and sprayed my self square in the face with olive oil. I really was grateful I had my glasses on.

But the funniest story I have ever heard is told by a friend of mine. She has no interest in cooking. Just after she married, she had the inlaws over for dinner. She wanted to make spaghetti. So she put on a pot of water to boil. When it came to a boil, she added the pasta. Then she added the raw ground meat. Then she added the jarred spaghetti sauce. Then she wondered why something did not look quite right.

bethzaring said:
just this morning, I was trying to clean my mister and sprayed my self square in the face with olive oil. I really was grateful I had my glasses on.

But the funniest story I have ever heard is told by a friend of mine. She has no interest in cooking. Just after she married, she had the inlaws over for dinner. She wanted to make spaghetti. So she put on a pot of water to boil. When it came to a boil, she added the pasta. Then she added the raw ground meat. Then she added the jarred spaghetti sauce. Then she wondered why something did not look quite right.
:LOL: That is too funny!!

I can truthfully say that I have done many of the same things that the rest of you have. Yup, I'm a klutz too!!

bethzaring said:

LMAO - What a way to save time - You can cook and do a facial treatment at the same time - lol - just have this image in my mind - too funny:ROFLMAO:

Snoop Puss said:
Good grief, goboenomo. Don't have any more accidents like these. I'll be getting sympathetic knees next!

Here's another good one.

I was taking a chicken spit out of the rotisserie and I didn't realize there was a hole in our oven mit. So i grabbed it, and burnt myself, then I lost grip of the spit and dropped it onto a metal insert of hot chicken grease drippings which splattered perfectly in my direction.

:D

I've got plenty more where that came from.

holy crap goboenomo!!! perhaps a change of career is in order, or else, switch up from your cursed work place!

tho it could be karma...i had a roomie back in college that *swore* that if she didn't burn or injure herself in some minor way, the food wouldn't end up all that good. well, there were plenty of tiny traumas in our kitchen, and yeah, the times she made it out unscathed were oddly the times that dinner was just ok. thank whoever's watching over me that i don't need the same karmic trade-up to eat well!

i've done the same plastic bag o'bread on a hot toaster oven top as some of you guys. btw, when you're taking things out of said toaster oven, even if the heating elements aren't glowing red anymore, buggers are still hot! i still have that scar across my index finger almost 13 years later.

my biggest genius moment came when i was having a *bunch* of friends over for a southern fish fry. i had a plate lined with paper towels next to the pot of frying oil that i was putting the onion rings on as they came out. said plate was of course sitting on the next burner over, and i totally failed to notice when i'd bumped up against that burner's dial and lit a fire under my little stoneware plate. i noticed alright when it literally exploded, dumping greasy paper towels and pile o'rings right onto the flaming burner. needless to say, the back door was open for the rest of the night to vent the smoke.

best kitchen boo-boo in my family is from my mom, who is a nurse, and was working night shifts when we were little kiddos. she was frying up some okra for dinner and had stepped into her bedroom to get something. well, in her irregular-sleep-cycle-just-woke-up state, she got mesmerized by the tv and fell asleep. i remember walking towards an orange glow emanating from the kitchen as mom raced past us to start fighting the grease fire going on in the kitchen. dad happened to be getting home 2 minutes later, and as he ran through the kitchen he kept on running right out the back door! mom was calling him all sorts of un-mom-approved names, right up until he brought the garage fire extingiusher in to put out the fire. dad always said there had to be a less dramatic way to get a new stove. we didn't get fried okra at home for many years afterwards!

My father-in-law has always had the habit of trying anything new for the first time which is why my MIL found herself seated in a rustic village "diner" in the mountains of Puerto Rico. All was going well though MIL was a bit nervous about the sanitary conditions. All speculation ended when a chicken came running and squawking from the swinging kitchen doors right at her and the "chef" galloping after it. They ate at home that night.

Next story.

I had to refill the deep fryer. The problem was:

The deep fryer was still hot and we needed it right away.
It still had alot of fat left in it
My boss wouldnt let me empty it out first.
And we used lard in a big block in a box.

I got the big box, and got someone to help me put it in.

We tried to lower the box as much as possible without touching the fryer.
The top of the box was sticking out, and knocked a piece of lettuce into the fryer that pretty much exploded and spit hot lard all over us. We both lost grip of the lard and the whole block fell right out of the box and splashed tons!! of hot grease on both of us.

I seldom use skillets in the oven. At least half a dozen times I've used a towel or hot pad to move a skillet from the oven to the stove top, put down the hot pad and immediately grabbed the skillet handle bare-handed.

Back
Top Bottom