"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I seldom use skillets in the oven. At least half a dozen times I've used a towel or hot pad to move a skillet from the oven to the stove top, put down the hot pad and immediately grabbed the skillet handle bare-handed.
I've done that in the past then I got a couple of Lodge handle covers. Insulated sleeves that fit over the handle and stay on by themselves. I slide it on to take the pan out of the oven and leave it there until after dinner.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #42
Executive Chef

I have a number of sillys including some of those mentioned by others but my favourite story is from when I was at university. A group of us had gone on a conference and were sharing a chalet. My friend was on cooking duty one night and duly turned around and said:
"Do I mash the potatoes before I cook them?"

Hes never been allowed to forget it.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:42 AM   #43
Head Chef

Goboenomo, sounds to me like you, your colleagues but most especially your boss need training on health and safety in the kitchen.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:43 AM   #44
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
This was over a 4 year period.

2 of which were during the training.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #45
Head Chef

Just this week I made dh's favorite dish, Tuna Noodle Casserole. I realized after we'd eaten that I'd forgotten the Cream of Mushroom soup! Fortunately I'd sauteed up enough mushrooms and onions that it wasn't too dry!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Cuts...burns...
setting the veggies to steam and then forgetting about them until
the smoke and the smell brought me back to the kichen...

We have a double oven and I put my roast into cook and after an hour went to check on it... I'd put it in the cold oven NOT the one I'd turned on.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Just had one last night.

Put some burgers on the griddle for supper for my boys and went through to do something else in the living room. The smoke alarm went off, which is always doing. I ignored it and then went through to find the kitchen rather full of smoke and two burgers a little crispy on the bottom - so had doors and windows open with cold air blasting through the house to clear the air.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I've done that in the past then I got a couple of Lodge handle covers. Insulated sleeves that fit over the handle and stay on by themselves. I slide it on to take the pan out of the oven and leave it there until after dinner.
Those things are lifesavers, Andy. I use them too. However, I often forget to turn the oven off after I'm finished using it.

This usually gets noticed by whoever is doing the dishes about 30 minutes later.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #49
Everymom

Does cutting off the tip of my thumb on the mandoline count? Or burning my belly with a hot cookie sheet at work?
Old 11-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I seldom use skillets in the oven. At least half a dozen times I've used a towel or hot pad to move a skillet from the oven to the stove top, put down the hot pad and immediately grabbed the skillet handle bare-handed.
This is something I always do too - or take a casserole dish out of the oven, set it down, and then move it without use of the mitts.

The spaghetti in water reminds me of a friend who, while in college, said it was her turn to make the popcorn - it took forever - went to check on her and she calmly stated the water wasn't boiling yet

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote