"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Dumb things you have done in the kitchen...that you are willing to admit

OK guys - here we go - Tonight I had the urge for some homemade chips topped with a little sea salt and a little Old Bay. I just finished pulling them out of the oil and topping them when my son came in the kitchen He went to grab one and I stated ( alittle loudly)"Wwatch out their hot!!!!" At the end of which I placed one in my mouth and burn't my tongue!!!! Said the "S" word and my son looked at me and said "but mom, you said they were hot!!! DUHHHH!!! So come on everyone fess up - lets laugh a little here at ourselves

Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

I grabbed a pan that was smoking, without my glove.
I've touched a shelf in the oven several times and burned my arm
I stirred fudge last year and melted some skin off of my finger after stirring a little too vigorously.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I grabbed a pan that was smoking, without my glove.
I've touched a shelf in the oven several times and burned my arm
I stirred fudge last year and melted some skin off of my finger after stirring a little too vigorously.
YIKES - But did you still eat the fudge?? I would have
Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
I burn the top of my wrist re-arranging things on the oven rack way too often to not know better! (I need longer oven mitts!)

Years ago my best friend bought a canned ham. She didn't realize it was also wrapped in plastic. She put it in a baking dish in the oven to heat up.... Oh look, a lovely plastic-coated ham!

Another friend bought some canned tamales. Rather than heat them in a pan on the stove top she put them in a baking dish in the oven. She happened to call me and mentioned this. I said uh, you do know they're wrapped in paper, right? She got off the phone real fast!

Fraidy
Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
Master Chef

When visiting one of my brothers in MI I went to make me a cup of hot tea. I proceeded to put the cup of water into the microwave. Well little did I pay attention to the gold rim around the top of their fancy cups........needless to say sparks started flying in the microwave ..........shhhhhhh don't tell
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 AM   #6
Head Chef

I once finished a beautiful 2" ribeye in a skillet in a 450* oven, carefully removed the pan with oven mitts, and used oven mitts to hold the pan while I removed the steak to rest. I then proceeded to grab the 450* handle full on, bare handed when I started the pan sauce. It's been a few years ago, and fingers, palm, and thumb have yet to forget that lesson. I know where they came up with the expression "Once burned, twice shy!"
Old 11-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #7
DC Grandma

When Paul and i were first married wayyyy back in 1954 we use to play Bingo on the Base. I won a pressure cooker so we invited my parents over for Sunday dinner. I cooked a chicken in said pressure cooker.............we had melted chicken. It was good though. Just had to reach in and pick out all the tender little bones.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Let's see how many I can list before I run out of room:

Toaster oven: Put a bag of bread on the top while said toaster oven was on, still have melted plastic on the top.

Boiling something on the back burner AND the front burner, did NOT use long-handled spoon and went to stir on back burner, got a nice burn mark on my b**b from what was on the front burner. OH DID THAT HURT!!! Took about 3 weeks to really start healing.

Biggest mistake that I keep making, is telling Steve to watch something I'm cooking. I guess I should not use the word WATCH, but also add to it and say STIR or FLIP or TURN THE TEMPERATURE DOWN if needed. Oh, and I should turn the tv off till I come back (and take the remote with me) hehe

My sister-in-law once made a MEAT lasagna and forgot to put the meat in.

How many times have I decided to make something and forgot one of the ingredients?

How many times have I put buns in the oven and forgotten till I smelled a slight burn smell. LoL I KNOW I'm not the only one that's done this one.

OH .. this one is a good one ... I know someone who roasted chestnuts (I was a witness), after a while we heard pop poppop, knew it wasn't popcorn, LOL .. he forgot to put a slit in the chestnuts before putting in the oven. I tried to help him clean up the mess but I was laughing too hard.

Went to an IHOP, you know how they have the syrup at the end of the table? I leaned on an already wobbly table, and upended all the syrups. I laughed too much at that one too. I was embarassed, but I immediately saw the humor in it. Bet the waitress was po'd at me. hehe

I'm sure there are others, I'm a klutz, has to be more, just can't think of anymore right now.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:34 AM   #9
Head Chef

I once tried to smell the food I was sauteing, by lifting up the fry pan and at the same time lowering my head to smell it. Guess I was over eager as my nose hit the searingly hot lip of the pan instead.

Result? I had an upturned crescent shaped brown scab on the tip of my nose for several days. Worse of it was that people kept asking me to explain the strange little smiley ...!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy
My sister-in-law once made a MEAT lasagna and forgot to put the meat in.
My mother did this when we were children, but it was turkey tetrazzini. My parents were having guests over, and we kids were all warned to be on our best behavior. I was 13ish, which would make my sister 8 at the time. A few minutes into the main course, the tetrazinni, my sister starting saying, "Mom, is there turkey in here? Cuz I can't find any turkey. Are you sure there's turkey?" Being the dutiful son I was, I kept kicking her under the table, but she wouldn't let up. Over 30 years later, we sill laugh about it!