Dumb things you have done in the kitchen...that you are willing to admit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reanie525i

Sous Chef
OK guys - here we go - Tonight I had the urge for some homemade chips topped with a little sea salt and a little Old Bay. I just finished pulling them out of the oil and topping them when my son came in the kitchen He went to grab one and I stated ( alittle loudly)"Wwatch out their hot!!!!" At the end of which I placed one in my mouth and burn't my tongue!!!! Said the "S" word and my son looked at me and said "but mom, you said they were hot!!! DUHHHH!!! So come on everyone fess up - lets laugh a little here at ourselves:wacko:

I grabbed a pan that was smoking, without my glove.
I've touched a shelf in the oven several times and burned my arm
I stirred fudge last year and melted some skin off of my finger after stirring a little too vigorously.

texasgirl said:
I grabbed a pan that was smoking, without my glove.
I've touched a shelf in the oven several times and burned my arm
I stirred fudge last year and melted some skin off of my finger after stirring a little too vigorously.
YIKES - But did you still eat the fudge?? I would have:ROFLMAO:

I burn the top of my wrist re-arranging things on the oven rack way too often to not know better! (I need longer oven mitts!)

Years ago my best friend bought a canned ham. She didn't realize it was also wrapped in plastic. She put it in a baking dish in the oven to heat up....:ohmy: Oh look, a lovely plastic-coated ham!

Another friend bought some canned tamales. Rather than heat them in a pan on the stove top she put them in a baking dish in the oven. She happened to call me and mentioned this. I said uh, you do know they're wrapped in paper, right? She got off the phone real fast!

Fraidy

When visiting one of my brothers in MI I went to make me a cup of hot tea. I proceeded to put the cup of water into the microwave. Well little did I pay attention to the gold rim around the top of their fancy cups........needless to say sparks started flying in the microwave:ohmy: ..........shhhhhhh don't tell :angel:

I once finished a beautiful 2" ribeye in a skillet in a 450* oven, carefully removed the pan with oven mitts, and used oven mitts to hold the pan while I removed the steak to rest. I then proceeded to grab the 450* handle full on, bare handed when I started the pan sauce. It's been a few years ago, and fingers, palm, and thumb have yet to forget that lesson. I know where they came up with the expression "Once burned, twice shy!"

When Paul and i were first married wayyyy back in 1954 we use to play Bingo on the Base. I won a pressure cooker so we invited my parents over for Sunday dinner. I cooked a chicken in said pressure cooker.............we had melted chicken. It was good though. Just had to reach in and pick out all the tender little bones.:LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

Let's see how many I can list before I run out of room:

Toaster oven: Put a bag of bread on the top while said toaster oven was on, still have melted plastic on the top.

Boiling something on the back burner AND the front burner, did NOT use long-handled spoon and went to stir on back burner, got a nice burn mark on my b**b from what was on the front burner. OH DID THAT HURT!!! Took about 3 weeks to really start healing.

Biggest mistake that I keep making, is telling Steve to watch something I'm cooking. I guess I should not use the word WATCH, but also add to it and say STIR or FLIP or TURN THE TEMPERATURE DOWN if needed. Oh, and I should turn the tv off till I come back (and take the remote with me) hehe

My sister-in-law once made a MEAT lasagna and forgot to put the meat in.

How many times have I decided to make something and forgot one of the ingredients?

How many times have I put buns in the oven and forgotten till I smelled a slight burn smell. LoL I KNOW I'm not the only one that's done this one.

OH .. this one is a good one ... I know someone who roasted chestnuts (I was a witness), after a while we heard pop poppop, knew it wasn't popcorn, LOL .. he forgot to put a slit in the chestnuts before putting in the oven. I tried to help him clean up the mess but I was laughing too hard.

Went to an IHOP, you know how they have the syrup at the end of the table? I leaned on an already wobbly table, and upended all the syrups. I laughed too much at that one too. I was embarassed, but I immediately saw the humor in it. Bet the waitress was po'd at me. hehe

I'm sure there are others, I'm a klutz, has to be more, just can't think of anymore right now.

I once tried to smell the food I was sauteing, by lifting up the fry pan and at the same time lowering my head to smell it. Guess I was over eager as my nose hit the searingly hot lip of the pan instead.

Result? I had an upturned crescent shaped brown scab on the tip of my nose for several days. Worse of it was that people kept asking me to explain the strange little smiley ...!

Cindy said:
My sister-in-law once made a MEAT lasagna and forgot to put the meat in.
:ROFLMAO: My mother did this when we were children, but it was turkey tetrazzini. My parents were having guests over, and we kids were all warned to be on our best behavior. I was 13ish, which would make my sister 8 at the time. A few minutes into the main course, the tetrazinni, my sister starting saying, "Mom, is there turkey in here? Cuz I can't find any turkey. Are you sure there's turkey?" Being the dutiful son I was:angel:, I kept kicking her under the table, but she wouldn't let up. Over 30 years later, we sill laugh about it!

Dumb mistakes----hmm, got a calculator? One of the worst was a turkey I once made in Egypt where they didn't have fat butterballs. Found a recipe that called for seasoning the turkey, stuffing with onions, etc., covering with cheese cloth soaked in olive oil and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight, then bake the next day with the cheesecloth still on. I didn't have cheesecloth but used a muslin cup towel. Turned out tender, juicy, and compliments all the way round.
So the following year I was begged to bake one again--same routine as the year before. Only this time when I pulled my turkey out after an hour to check on Mr. Tom he was a bright green and so were all the juices. I had used a green cup towel to cover the turkey and as it had been washed several times I thought that it would be safe. I guess the combination of olive oil and heat leached out whatever dye must have been left. Talk about embarrassment !!! I managed to get most of the green dye out with lots of hard work and wiping down with paper towels and suctioning off the green juices with a turkey baster. I fumed the entire time it cooked, smacking myself on the forehead for being so DUMB!! Ending?? Everybody loved it, anyway!!!

I've had a few, but the worst one was once when my dh's family was all coming for dinner. Some of them are bad cooks and the rest don't cook at all so I was doing everything myself, plus my mil was sticking closer than a brother while I was cooking. I was making potato salad on one counter and fruit salad on another. I opened the coconut and poured it in the potato salad. It is impossible to get all the bits out. Someone wrote of a calamity in IHOP. My son and dil were eating at IHOP when her water broke. Needless to say, when they go in now, there is always someone who remembers them well.

I've melted a few things on toasters and hotplates I forgot were hot. I made a batch of scones a few weeks ago with the wrong flour so had to throw the whole lot out and start again.
Dad was making gravy for me recently and couldn't find my flour container so accidently used salt which is for DDs fish tank instead!!!!!!! Needdless to say that didnt get eaten either.:rolleyes:

Too many to even think of listing, I am really foolish sometimes :( I hate oven gloves, and forget not to get the cloth I hang on the oven door dry, so steam myslef sometimes. My arms/hands/wrists are often burnt a teeny bit. I often get cerried away when using a recipe and don't read things properly, often making an entirely different dish to the one I thought I was making, but those sort of accidents are usually ok. But really, I don't believe any body makes more ballsups than I do in the kitchen!

Burnt my hand two times Sunday trying to get one of my beer can chickens to sit straight !! Dang Bird ! I have more scars on my arms --:whistling, and I think I'am Careful !!!! --Roll of paper towels started to burn -- on top of Toaster! Whew ! -- Ever open fridge - to nuke coffee ?? :ROFLMAO:Just remembered one ! -My girlfriend was unthawing liver for her family for dinner - when she went to fix it, she realized she had unthawed a brown wash cloth, she had in there for her daughters fever !! We still laugh about is one, thirty years later !!!!

Last edited:
The entire hotel staff knew ...

when I was an apprentice chef the head chef sent me down to the cellar where all dry goods were kept. He told me to wash some more salt (as if it was normal to wash salt.)

I believed what he said and brought 20 kilo salt, just before rinsing the salt they stopped me. Meanwhile the entire staff stood there and had a big laugh.

It was just normal to have fun with the newbies and they catched me on two or three other occasions. (Weigh the trouts in the aquarium and stick a little note with the exact weight on the trout's back. --> I already made little paper notes, prepared everything, when I took out the first trout they told me it was a joke. Another one: The boss of the hotel sent me to a befriended hotel in that village to return our Ice Cube Cut Machine. The other hotels staff was informed and they prepared a huge box with stones in it which I carried on my back back to our hotel where everybody had a big laugh.:angry: )

Microwaving Canned goods, baked beans, potatoes and carrots are the worst, they quite literaly Explode!
don`t deep fat fry canned potatoes either, they do NOT make quick roast potatoes, rather a very dangerous way to make potatoe bits that float and get soaked in oil.
leaning forwards and dropping your headphones into the soup isn`t great either :)

I could continue, but I wish to maintain whatever remaining "street Cred" I still have left :P

Chopstix said:
I once tried to smell the food I was sauteing, by lifting up the fry pan and at the same time lowering my head to smell it. Guess I was over eager as my nose hit the searingly hot lip of the pan instead.

Result? I had an upturned crescent shaped brown scab on the tip of my nose for several days. Worse of it was that people kept asking me to explain the strange little smiley ...!

Chopstix, this had me rolling on the floor! :ROFLMAO:

mrsmac said:
I've melted a few things on toasters and hotplates I forgot were hot. I made a batch of scones a few weeks ago with the wrong flour so had to throw the whole lot out and start again.
Dad was making gravy for me recently and couldn't find my flour container so accidently used salt which is for DDs fish tank instead!!!!!!! Needdless to say that didnt get eaten either.:rolleyes:

Oh, goodness, that reminds me of the time I did NOT fill the sugar bowl. My Uncle came down, had coffee, Dad filled the sugar bowl with what looked like sugar. Nope, it was salt!!!! That was about 4 years ago, I'm still laughing about it as I'm writing this. I wish I could have seen my Uncle's face ... TOO FUNNY!!!!

These are great - I needed a good smile today - I am sure the one I am about to tell has happened to someone you know -- My cousin wanted to make Thanksgiving dinner at her house when she first got married - So the table was set - so much food you could not see the table - but no stuffing - where is the stuffing my mom asked - Straight faced she said - Oh I did not make any - the bird was already stuffed - She cooked the bird with the bag of innards still wrapped in the middle - lol

Back
Top Bottom