"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Mother has one and it's got to be the best one I've tried yet. It keeps dust mites and allergens away from carpets and furniture.

If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
Master Chef
Thanks for your input, everyone! Well, we broke down and got one. The vacuum itself was onsale, plus you got a $100 Target gift card (which we'll easily use on sundry purchases and Christmas), so it really was a great deal. So far I'm really, really happy with it. I am amazed at how much it's picking up (in a horrified yet very pleased way!). My only complaint is the hose and attachments are very cumbersome and take awhile to set up. Maybe that will get easier as I get used to it. In the meantime, the tradeoff is how much better our carpets look--even the old ones!

As an extra bonus, this vacuum is pink! It cost no extra--actually Dyson donates $40 to breast cancer research--and Sofie is just going nuts that there's a pink vacuum in the house. I think her life is now complete!

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #13
One of our neighbors passed away last year and her daughter-in-law stopped by to ask us if we'd like any of the stuff they intended to donate to Goodwill because they live on the East Coast and didn't want to ship everything there. She had a Dyson and I was delighted to get it. It does a great job on our floors.

The funny thing is that I didn't pay for my last vacuum either. When my former boss retired and moved from her house to a condo, she gave me her Rainbow! It is still in good working order but it is very cumbersome so the Dyson's a nice break.
mercyteapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Reference my post at What steam iron and vacuum do you use and like?
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
Master Chef
My sister has one. She just vaccumed her house and just to tell you, it's just her and bil and one little yorkie. Not a lot of dirt in that house. Well when she got the Dyson, although just vaccumed, she had to try it. She filled the canister on it from just dirt that was pulled from below the carpet!! She swears by hers and I would love to get one myself.

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote