Dyson Vacuums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I'm curious about what you know/think about Dyson vacuums. We are in need of a new vacuum and are considering one. I have allergies and asthma so we always want to make sure that we can get as much out of the carpet as possible. The one we have now has a HEPA filter and we did notice a difference when we got it. But it's been used long and hard so I think it's time we retire it. From what I've heard, Dyson's are wonderful, but they're definitely more expensive than other vacuums, too. I was just wondering if they're worth it.

I do not have first hand experience with them either PAB, but on another site I go to there was a long discussion about them and every single person who had one (and there were a lot of people) raved about it and said it was unlike any other vacuum they ever had and well worth the hefty price tag.

I was going to say "they suck", but it's too obvious.

I am sure my cleaning lady would love to have me own one. In fact, seeing she has several clients in this condo complex, she has a key, and she comes during the week when I am ar work, I am sure it would get quite the workout. Unfortunately (for her) I don't think I will be investing five or six hundred dollars in a vacuum cleaner any time soon. That's more than I paid for my first three cars, combined!

I have a Miele and like it. It was VERY pricey but has held up well.

Costco carries one of the Dyson models. You might want to check it out if there is a Costco close to you. Perhaps you can save a few dollars there.

We have had 2 Dysons over the last 10 years - the first at the behest of our then cleaning lady. Our second was just recently and I loved going back to it. Extremely good pick up. I went over the carpet, first with the Meile I had borrowed and then the Dyson. It still picked up a lot of dirt.

I feel they are worth the investment. They last for years and the performance is GREAT! The seem to be MUCH more popular in the UK, and a little less pricey.

Think of the total price divided by at least 10 years, not bad yearly.

We have had 2 Dysons over the last 10 years - the first at the behest of our then cleaning lady. Our second was just recently and I loved going back to it. Extremely good pick up. I went over the carpet, first with the Meile I had borrowed and then the Dyson. It still picked up a lot of dirt.

Miniman, how long did the first Dyson last? It sounds like it didn't get you through 10 yrs because you had something else in-between the 2 Dysons. I would think for the cost of it, it should have lasted beyond 10 yrs.

They do look interesting and I would consider a Dyson if I were back in the market. My Miele has held up well, picks up great. I have had it 5 or 6 yrs, I think. I get the Hepa changed annually. My goal is to get rid of all my wall-to-wall and replace it with hardwood floors. I have a good portion of the house hardwood or tile, but need to do 5 more bedrooms and a loft area. As good as a vacuum is, there is no picking up all the pet dander that works its way into the carpet fibers.

we've had one for 4 years now, and i highly recommend them.

with all of our pets (4 cats, 2 birds, 6 hermit crabs, 1 turtle), and 1 tasmanian devil child, we've needed an effective as well as rugged vacuum.

the dyson has lived up to the test. it is used on a daily basis, often more, in our home. outside of rinsing the filter and occasionally cutting away strings from the brush assembly, i haven't had to repair, replace, or do any maintenance on the unit, and it still does a great job on everything from cat hair, to parrot dust, to aquarium gravel.

we had an oreck before this (still use it in certain areas), and as far as cleaning performance goes, the dyson wins hands down. admittedly, the oreck is somewhat lighter, but if that's not the major consideration (we got the oreck for my elderly, obstinate mil), i'd go with the dyson.

Mother has one and it's got to be the best one I've tried yet. It keeps dust mites and allergens away from carpets and furniture.

Thanks for your input, everyone! Well, we broke down and got one. The vacuum itself was onsale, plus you got a $100 Target gift card (which we'll easily use on sundry purchases and Christmas), so it really was a great deal. So far I'm really, really happy with it. I am amazed at how much it's picking up (in a horrified yet very pleased way!:LOL:). My only complaint is the hose and attachments are very cumbersome and take awhile to set up. Maybe that will get easier as I get used to it. In the meantime, the tradeoff is how much better our carpets look--even the old ones!

As an extra bonus, this vacuum is pink!:rolleyes: It cost no extra--actually Dyson donates $40 to breast cancer research--and Sofie is just going nuts that there's a pink vacuum in the house. I think her life is now complete!:ROFLMAO:

One of our neighbors passed away last year and her daughter-in-law stopped by to ask us if we'd like any of the stuff they intended to donate to Goodwill because they live on the East Coast and didn't want to ship everything there. She had a Dyson and I was delighted to get it. It does a great job on our floors.

The funny thing is that I didn't pay for my last vacuum either. When my former boss retired and moved from her house to a condo, she gave me her Rainbow! It is still in good working order but it is very cumbersome so the Dyson's a nice break.

My sister has one. She just vaccumed her house and just to tell you, it's just her and bil and one little yorkie. Not a lot of dirt in that house. Well when she got the Dyson, although just vaccumed, she had to try it. She filled the canister on it from just dirt that was pulled from below the carpet!! She swears by hers and I would love to get one myself.

Back
Top Bottom