"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #131
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
tempting prices, very tempting. i guess that means nook will be slashing their prices as well. in the meanwhile, prices for ebooks have been skyrocketing! just in the 6-8 months i've been buying ebooks, they've gone from 9.99, to 12.99 and heading toward 14.99 as a going rate. ebook prices being what they are, they should be giving away the ereaders for free! maybe after xmas....

Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #132
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It sounds like Amazon and Barnes and Noble are finally giving into the publishers' demands. For a long time ebooks were much cheaper than the analogues. Will have to check out Kindle Nation newsletter and find out why.

Folks might also want to post on Amazon's Kindle site and explain why they are not buying Kindles or ebooks.

I still prefer my Kindle 2 to a duffle full of paperbacks.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #133
Chef Extraordinaire

As a consumer I would rather have a higher initial cost and then reap the savings. Their marketing either seems backwards, or they are hoping that the new people purchasing e-readers won't price shop their library. Maybe rely on all the others who have purchased before them.
It would be nice to see the price of the e-books at least the same, certainly not higher. They are getting people to pay for convenience.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #134
Executive Chef

the instant gratification of impulse buying of ebooks has turned out to be a major weakness of mine and continues to be my downfall as a nook owner. there are enough free books out there to keep me reading for my lifetime.--but, i'm discovering that it just doesn't work that way. free ebook samples lead to purchases one out of every three or four times. i can't seem to resist buying ebooks on the fly--a book plug by an author on tv, a random referral....what bothers me even more than having spent hundreds of dollars on so many bad choices, it's the realization of recently having succumbed to buying ebooks over paper books for convenience even when they cost more. i am so angry and disappointed with myself, i thought i was better than this....
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #135
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
the instant gratification of impulse buying of ebooks has turned out to be a major weakness of mine and continues to be my downfall as a nook owner. there are enough free books out there to keep me reading for my lifetime.--but, i'm discovering that it just doesn't work that way. free ebook samples lead to purchases one out of every three or four times. i can't seem to resist buying ebooks on the fly--a book plug by an author on tv, a random referral....what bothers me even more than having spent hundreds of dollars on so many bad choices, it's the realization of recently having succumbed to buying ebooks over paper books for convenience even when they cost more. i am so angry and disappointed with myself, i thought i was better than this....
Salute! Well said.
I absolutely an impulse buyer. I have taken to putting things into a Wish List if the site has one, then looking at them a few days later and re-evaluating.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #136
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Well remember the "with Special Offers" mean it come with advertisements.....

"Special Offers
Receive special offers and sponsored screensavers that display on the Kindle Keyboard screensaver and on the bottom of the home screen—they don't interrupt reading."
Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #137
Everymom

The ads are ignorable. Far easier to ignore than some of the pop up crap on the computer.

As for the ebooks, did you guys not see this?

Quote:
NEW - Public Library Books
Customers can check out a Kindle book from their local library and start reading on any Kindle or free Kindle reading app. Learn more

Kindle Book Lending
Lend eligible Kindle books to other Kindle or Kindle app users for 14 days. Learn more.
I currently have 5 library books on my kindle, and I tend to check out the "Daily Deal" to see if its any good. I limit myself to the cheapie books. I buy them if they are $2.99 or below. I've only splurged on expensive ($10) books a couple of times. Those times were when I couldn't GET the darned book from the library and was not about to either wait 6 months to read it, or spend $30 for the hardcover version.

I've always been a bit miserly with my spending money. If the library has it...that's where I'm going. Now that we can lend books from Kindle to Kindle I'm all over it. My sister, niece and best guy friends have them and we are going to be ON that.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #138
Executive Chef

alix, you are one smart kindle user--the kind that i would like to/will never be myself. if more kindlers would utilize the libraries and exchange ebooks back and forth the publishers and retailers would be forced into lowering their ridiculously exorbitant prices for ebooks for all of us. i barely know how to use my computer. the kindle library might as well be on mars....
Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #139
Everymom

vitauta, its really very easy! Just contact your local library and the librarian will walk you through it.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #140
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
vitauta, its really very easy! Just contact your local library and the librarian will walk you through it.

something that might seem like simple child's play to one is another's paralytic phobia.