E-Readers, Suggestions and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think i'll go ahead and do this. just this once. i've been looking at fire covers on ebay--nice deals at a fraction of the cost that i saw at retail stores....

vitauta said:
i don't usually do protection plans--for anything. i'm having second thoughts about this kindle fire, though. things get dropped, touch screen devices are sensitive--should i maybe spend the forty dollars to insure the fire for two years? what do you think?

I've never done protection plans, though I always get a protective cover, for my Kindle, iPad, BB. Will get one for my new iPhone.

Amazon rocks. One of my Kindles went on the fritz, they replaced it, no problem.

You should get one for your own self, Vit! They have Kindles for $79 now, without the bells and whistles. Perfectly adequate.

I've never done protection plans, though I always get a protective cover, for my Kindle, iPad, BB. Will get one for my new iPhone.

Amazon rocks. One of my Kindles went on the fritz, they replaced it, no problem.

You should get one for your own self, Vit! They have Kindles for $79 now, without the bells and whistles. Perfectly adequate.

probably the last thing in the world someone like me needs is an enabler. but dawg, if you are going to encourage me, then convince me that i deserve, that i really should treat myself to, the FIRE. (my nook has been behaving and reliable for some while now--so, no need for kindle junior:))

vitauta said:
probably the last thing in the world someone like me needs is an enabler. but dawg, if you are going to encourage me, then convince me that i deserve, that i really should treat myself to, the FIRE. (my nook has been behaving and reliable for some while now--so, no need for kindle junior:))

Vit, I have my Kindle 2, which serves me well on the plane and in the pool (in its protective waterproof cover). It's my dedicated e- reader, and if need be, I could use it as a very slow computer. Whispernet (the Amazon internet service provider) is always on, and always free, unlike WiFi. I also have an iPad, (WiFi only, without 3g) for when I need a computer and a backlit e-reader, so I don't have the need for a Fire right now. If you're happy with your Nook, then there's probably no reason to get a Fire.

If I were you, I'd get an iPad.

an ipad? you think i should get an ipad?!! oooh dawg, you're even better than andy! (he gave me permission to buy a new computer, which i needed):)

did you get your new iphone yet, dawg?

my girl is thrilled with her new kindle fire! my 10 year-old granddaughter is showing mom her way around it, demonstrating different ways to use it.:) isn't that just the way today, though? i'm beginning to think that one reason grandmas like me are so impossibly lame with electronics is that we don't have our kids around to teach us how they work!! :(

i just found another reason to love my e-reader. i can EAT while i'm reading!!! i had long given up that simple pleasure because i didn't want to stain the pages of my books. but today, for some inexplicable reason, my nook and a bowl of hot buttered popcorn appeared in my hands at the very same time--and it's simply wonderful how i am able to munch away again while reading with no worries and a handful of paper towels. and yes i still love *real* books too, but i must admit it's been some while since i actually read one.... :(

I couldn't give up my dt books, so all of them have a food stain somewhere. I love to eat and read at the same time.

HEY!!! where the heck are the free kindle and nook books we were promised last year? remember, there was a law suit re amazon and b&n overcharging for ebooks, and it was all supposed to be settled by jan. or feb. of this year? has anyone received credit for free ereads? me neither!

I have a general idea what this thread is all about, but for the most part I am lost. I really need to catch up with this techie world.

I learned computers when they first came out. You had to know all the commands even to start a new paragraph. How quickly the world changes when you are not watching. :angel:

I wasn't sure I wanted one of these because I do love my "real" books. I got one Christmas of 2010, the Kindle fire that had web features. It was great at work since I could look stuff up on the internet and read my book at lunch only carrying one thing around in my bag. I have gotten so used to reading on it that I can't remember the last time I read a "real" book. I tend to spend as little money as possible on ebooks. I have a limit of how much I will fork over for an ebook. I try to go for freebies most often but will go as high as $10 depending on the book. I always check the paperback vs. ebook pricing and if paperback is cheaper, I don't buy!

HEY!!! where the heck are the free kindle and nook books we were promised last year? remember, there was a law suit re amazon and b&n overcharging for ebooks, and it was all supposed to be settled by jan. or feb. of this year? has anyone received credit for free ereads? me neither!

boy, this law suit is taking forever to resolve! i finally got an update on our ebook credits, this time from B&N. the message from B&N verifies that i am eligible for a partial refund for ebooks i have purchased in the past. no mention of the amount of my credit, or when i will receive it. but now i have an i.d. number, and am told that further info will be forthcoming soon.
i haven't heard another word about book credits from amazon, since 2011.

one other thing: remember how ebook prices were reduced shortly after news about the about publisher overpricing of ebooks became public, in early 2012? books that had been priced at $12 dipped back under ten dollars again? well, since then, i've seen the biggest price hikes ever on ebooks. a sizable portion of new releases are being priced at $14.99. what's up with that? will there be another lengthy law suit that will take three more years to resolve?

I picked up a Kobo Arc last week. They had a Labour Day sale on. It has an LED display but uses IPS technology so you can read in direct sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom