E-Readers, Suggestions and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vitauta said:
something that might seem like simple child's play to one is another's paralytic phobia.

Well put, Vit! Paralytic phobia. I like that.

Keep in mind, everyone forty and under grew up with technology, starting in preschool. The rest of us have had to pick it up on our own. It ain't easy.

Last edited:
I walked into my parents house yesterday and there on the couch was my 90 year old grandmother reading a book on my mothers iPad.

GB said:
I walked into my parents house yesterday and there on the couch was my 90 year old grandmother reading a book on my mothers iPad.

Whoa! Love it!

Yes, but what she turning the pages? :LOL:

I can't wait until the Kindle Fire comes out and gets reviewed.

Well thank you so much for thinking I'm under 40! Much appreciated!

GB, my MIL is 82 and we got her a laptop for her 80th birthday. She was scared at first, but she is cruising the Net now!

Dawgluver and vitauta, I understand the paralytic phobia, but truly, the librarians are the most patient people around and its as simple as point, click, plug in the Kindle and drag it to documents.

This merits some research. Am thinking other libraries, not just the local ones, also will lend books for Kindle. Is this right? Also, like regular books, there's a two week lending period?

Yes they will. You need to have a valid library card at that particular library to take the ebooks out, but you can browse as much as you like. I was looking at the Seattle public library and they have several TYPES of ebooks. There is one that is clearly marked "Kindle" book. All you do to take that out after you sign on to their system is click on the Kindle book icon, then it walks you through the download process (basically click here, click there, plug in your Kindle)

I am not familiar with libraries in the US, but I have access to both the Edmonton Public library and the Calgary Public library. Its a simple matter to pay the yearly fee to be a cardholder in most cases. Worth it to borrow hundreds of books.

I think the coolest thing is that the ebooks are an expiring file. After 3 weeks, they disappear off your Kindle. Very cool.

Well thank you so much for thinking I'm under 40! Much appreciated!

GB, my MIL is 82 and we got her a laptop for her 80th birthday. She was scared at first, but she is cruising the Net now!

Dawgluver and vitauta, I understand the paralytic phobia, but truly, the librarians are the most patient people around and its as simple as point, click, plug in the Kindle and drag it to documents.

alix, bless you, little one.:)"drag"? who knows, never say never. you got me reading pillars of the earth and THAT took overcoming some resistance. thank you for that one, btw....:)

alix, bless you, little one.:)"drag"? who knows, never say never. you got me reading pillars of the earth and THAT took overcoming some resistance. thank you for that one, btw....:)

vitauta, you can do it! If you are in the US, you might just need to point and click and plug in the Kindle. Really. Would I lie? ;)

Honestly, if you can navigate THIS site and post as effectively as you do, there is nothing stopping you from borrowing library books on your Kindle. Wait a sec, you have a Nook right? Same deal.

vitauta, you can do it! If you are in the US, you might just need to point and click and plug in the Kindle. Really. Would I lie? ;)

Honestly, if you can navigate THIS site and post as effectively as you do, there is nothing stopping you from borrowing library books on your Kindle. Wait a sec, you have a Nook right? Same deal.

you have some terrific cheerleading moves, alix. were you by any chance with the dallas cowboys?:clap:

vitauta said:
you have some terrific cheerleading moves, alix. were you by any chance with the dallas cowboys?:clap:

Alix is Canadian, Vit. Bet she cheered for the Edmonton Eskimos or the Calgary Stampeders! Otherwise she would need a visa and a green card....

have any of you kindlers encountered a problem with "opening" any of your kindle books? i have been getting a message indicating "book cannot be opened...delete title from your device". first time it happened, about one month ago, five of my ebooks could not be opened. they were redownloaded for me by a tech at amazon. today, the problem recurred. this time, amazon chose to refund the purchase price of the two books involved. no more kindle books for me....

I just checked mine only to find the battery had run out. Am recharging, and will see if I can get on later.

My problem is connecting to the Wireless...neither mine or Shrek's will connect.
Reboot your router. Just unplug the modem for 30 seconds, disconnect the router then plug in modem, wait for all the lights but the last one, then plug in the router. When the lights are all lit, give it another try.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom