E-Readers, Suggestions and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vitauta--the 'classic' books on the device you mentioned are all available free on line--for any of the e-readers. Or to read on your computer, for that matter. They are out of copyright, and have been made available from a number of sources.

I saw the Barnes and Noble Nook for $69 the other day.

but do you also see a $69 kindle? that's what i'm talking about!:)

pacanis said:
Ahhh, but keep in mind Dawgluver...
While I did reference the Kindle to being the iPhone of ereaders...
I rock a Droid.

:ROFLMAO::wacko::huh:

Have not explored the possibilities of a Droid, Pacanis. When my BB subscription runs out in Sept. I am thinking about an IPhone. What are the Droid advantages as you see them? Other than the really cute commercials....

Have not explored the possibilities of a Droid, Pacanis. When my BB subscription runs out in Sept. I am thinking about an IPhone. What are the Droid advantages as you see them? Other than the really cute commercials....

I don't see any advantage of a Droid over an iPhone. People talk about Apple's closed system and the android's open one, but those must be some serious power users. I see no difference between getting apps from Apple's site or the android market place... and I do not use my phone as a computer, only if I need to quickly look something up when I'm out.
And this Droid is the glitchiest phone I have ever owned. From what I read, iPhone's are pretty stable. And available with my carrier now. However, I have had this original Droid longer than any previous phone I have owned. I will need to give some serious thought to my next phone and size will be a consideration. I do not use my phone to read books, so really don't need a huge screen on it. iPhone's are a little smaller.
Decisions decisions.

Wow. I paid the original price for my K2. You got a great deal!

I use a Droid as well (and Kindle too...pacanis are you my long lost bro?) and love it. Mine is fairly new and virtually glitch free. The only glitch I've had is that it doesn't like texting while charging. Big deal, I can work around that. The biggest advantage I can see is that my Droid came free with my plan and I'd have had to pay for an iPhone with any plan I got. There isn't anything an iPhone can do that my Droid can't (at least that I've seen), and my battery life is double.

I just bought a Kindle2 with wifi and 3g for $99 from Woot.com. Woot is one day, one deal, so I don't know if the Kindle deal will come up again.

Holy moly sparrowgrass NICE DEAL!

anybody know what this ty's webinar re making money with amazon is all about? there's been heavy advertising through emails on this for about one week now.

my grandson, who had not seen a nook reader before, spotted mine and within minutes was going through it, pointing out various functions and features, showing me how to use highlighting, play music, rearrange my library, cheat at chess, etc., etc. he displayed an interest in most aspects of the ereader in fact, with the notable exception of actually reading it. i have little in common with my droid loving grandson, but we reach out to each other nevertheless, seek and find some sweet points of commonality. he pities me for my hopelessly slow netbook, and i wonder at a boy who needs a phone sized computer in his life that "does everything" (at a cost of about $500) it will be my grandson, or someone like him who brings us the first kindle with backlighting....

OK, I'm too far into this Kindle to do anything but keep it now. And I do like it, which is also why I am keeping it, but here are some observations.

Realizing that I do not have a case, I gotta say the page turning buttons are both very convenient and very inconvenient. Having them on both sides allows for a lot of adjustment getting comfortable holding the Kindle, although my favorite position would have the buttons at the top, but it also causes pages to turn when I momentarily set it down. It's just so darn convenient to handle the Kindle with a thumb on one side and the rest of your fingers on the other, keeping them off the screen, but that is where the large page turning buttons are and I am more often than not accidentally turning the page. Sometimes several at a time before I notice, then I have to read to see which way they might have flipped.

Which brings me to my second gripe. There aren't any page numbers. Nor is the name of the chapter displayed at the top of the page. If you accidentally flip through a couple pages there isn't a way to go directly back.
I realize that there probably aren't page numbers due to the fact that the number of pages varies by font size, line spacing and such, but some point of reference other than the "63%" read bar would be nice. Also, because I like to read a whole chapter at a time, it would be nice to know just how long the chapter is. There's no way of knowing that without flipping forward, and then flipping back, one page at a time... unless I am missing some trick to this.

Maybe this is simply one of the shortcomings of all ereaders, but it's something I noticed.
That said, I downloaded my second book, because it is very convenient.

i have the same gripes about the page numbers and not knowing how long chapters are. I have had to retrain myself to not worry about stopping mid-chapter. I think there is a way to get page numbers on some books now though. I have not looked into it, but I remember reading a while back that they were rolling that out. There was a trick on how to do it though and I can't recall what that way.

It's nice to know I'm not alone with the page number/chapter thing.

I imagine if and when I get a cover my button gripe will go away.

i have the same gripes about the page numbers and not knowing how long chapters are. I have had to retrain myself to not worry about stopping mid-chapter. I think there is a way to get page numbers on some books now though. I have not looked into it, but I remember reading a while back that they were rolling that out. There was a trick on how to do it though and I can't recall what that way.

the nook i have does show page numbers. with my font size set at xl though, the page number may remain the same for three or four pages in a row. what i miss are the easy flip-backs to reread or revisit a passage or page. i am enjoying doing my reading on an ereader more and more as time passes. i am somewhat surprised at my utter lack of nostalgia of the paper books, however.

I never thought of keeping the page number in accordance with the written book. Great idea. Kindle needs to adopt that.

Back
Top Bottom